My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The posted picture is Twilight. He inspires me to rescue more kitties before it is too late for them. Between my own resources and those I have located through pet supply companies, local shelter and rescue groups I will keep working for others.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You make my head spin! Whatever you’re taking for all this energy let me know.

Still think you need to relocate to Missouri...ha!

In some ways I’m like you and I think everybody on this web is. We can all remember those successes, the ones you hated to let go, and the ones you lost the most.

I used to have a small tnr colony I raised from kittens. Fed them every other day for 8 years in the snow storms, numbing cold, downpours etc. When I came down the old dirt road toward the feeding site I could see them sitting on top of the old broken down truck. I’d call “cat kids” and they’d come running from everywhere! They would all sit at my feet and I would feed each one their individual helping of ground chicken and canned cat food. Issues forced me act quickly and to send them to be used for barn cats almost a year ago, knowing they were to young to have been trained to hunt. It was that or euthanasia as the shelters were full and nobody wanted old cats. Even now I can see everyone of their faces and I cry for each one. I’m crying as I write this. But that’s what we do...right?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do cry! They really are our cat kids. Love is hard sometimes. You just need to make sure to remember something besides their little faces. Remember that you saved them. That is where I get my energy from. It is knowing that they can have a life! It may not be the one we originally imagined for them but who is to say that they may not love the chase of a mouse in a barn? After all, we all know they love the chase! You did the right thing for them. Without you they would have perished. Just try to picture them leaping after that bug or mouse. You know they have a cat grin when they are doing that. You are just like me. Everyone on this site has something in common. We all want things to be better. Together or alone, we Can make things better. We are! And yes, I think I could live there just fine! I just need to finish what I am doing here! Don't know if you chuckled at that....... I'm working on it. Tomorrow I have help coming! Yay! Another person who cares. As you may, or may not now, I have vision issues and cannot get to a service that provides cat spaying at a great discount. They also provide immunizations and other help. I was able to get 9 fixed last week. She will be transporting two more for me and will return them in a few days. She is also going to help me catch something I discovered on my property. Yep! Kittens! She has agreed to foster all 9 of them! Wow! If we can catch them , and I intend for us to do so, then the number of rescued kitties will climb. She will keep them until they are adopted through connections she has that I don't have access to. I am excited to get started. I hope that anyone who reads this will understand what has been happening here. I am not a young person, not a wealthy person, not a person with a lot of kitty connections. I started rescuing kitties alone with little hope of accomplishing many success stories. All I really had was a love for cats and a desire to save lives. I started by simply making phone calls to local shelters. Every time I was turned down for assistance I asked that person if they knew of somewhere else I could contact or someone else who could help. I emailed and texted and began to get referrals. When those ran out I went back to the first person I called and repeated the entire cycle. I posted ads and called every vet within 30 miles. I asked every single person I spoke to if they wanted a kitty. Even the telemarketers! Some cared and helped! Some have stopped calling me. With the help I found from so many kitty caring people, things started to happen. I may just be one person but I made enough noise to connect with a lot of other good people. With their help many kitties will live. They have been saved from pain, illness, starvation, torture and death. Every person out there has the ability to make a difference. It may be one kitty or twenty but you should all know that it is possible. I would be willing to bet that many people who read this already know that but if even one is wo

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like that final sentence is missing from my last post. If even one who is reading this is wondering how to save a kitty, just post on this site. There are a great many people here who are ready to help or tell you who can. Just ask.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I’ll start calling you “tiger” for your tenacity! I’ve said this before but if most on the forum were in charge and could focus this energy...wow! No more war, starvation, killed babies, and more. Just “the lion shall lay down with the lamb” kind of place. “Guess that goes against “the system”?

Anyway, keep the faith!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_9702.JPG
I agree on all points! The number of people on this site who are good and caring people gives me faith! As for tenacity, my Dad has always said I am just too stubborn! I just stick to what I think is right. Simple. Today I caught three kittens that were at risk. I am hoping to catch the remaining ones soon. I used meat baby food and some chicken to do it. The three go to the vet tomorrow and then to a foster home. I will update with any progress and the status of the babies. A photo of baby Silver Bell is above. I caught her first. Her Mom is okay with it as she is feeding a lot of babies. She got chicken too! Three more sweethearts!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You do good work...she’s beautiful! How do you give them up? My problem is I want to keep them all.

But we are up to two inhalers a days for my wife’s cat allergy and she now has the shingles...going on 5 weeks so I believe she has that phn or long term nerve pain. The poor cats are going whaaat?

Kitten season is coming to the ozarks as well. None of the local farmers s/n so when they overflow they come across the road to our house...every year.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I give them up? I research where they will go, make new owners sign contracts containing all I think is needed to ensure a happy kitty life and when they leave I keep telling myself that they will have a better life in a home with less kitties. I will admit that there have been two that I just let go that are still causing me great pain. I hand raised the babies. They were those special ones that choose us. One was named Uff. That stood for Unidentified Flying Feline! He had kitty genius IQ. The other was Domino. She was his buddy and my laughter. I have photos of both posted somewhere. If I look at video of them now I just give it up and cry. I know I did what was best for them but I am selfish and want them with me. They live near me and are indoors. They can watch chickens outside and fish inside. They have two children to love them. They have gotten vet care, spaying and neutering. The lady who adopted them sends me a text every now and then with photos. Still..... I just have to keep remind myself that they needed to be where they would not outlive their owner. Knowing they could live twenty years or more made me worry, what would happen to my soul mates if something happened to me. No one in my family would take them. It was all about doing what was right for them and not me. I have experienced great loss and I know that you just have to keep on living the best you can. If they are okay then maybe I am supposed to be helping another that is not okay. I have my moments but I still keep on loving every one I can. It's the love that counts.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A picture of Uff is in this thread. He is wearing my glasses and helping me read the catsite. Domino is here too. She is sitting up like a person. Look for the pics to get a grin.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_9693.JPG
IMG_9703.JPG
IMG_9709.JPG
IMG_9720.JPG
Four kittens that I caught in an old building went to foster care today. They have already had their first vet visit and tested as healthy. I caught the fourth just before their foster showed up. Yay! They are darling. A Silver tabby, Orange tabby, grey tabby and a black and white tuxedo. All were sweet and gentle except for the tuxedo. She was a real spit fire! She has settled down now and has had a good drink of water and a nice warm meal of baby food chicken.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You're doing such a wonderful job of re-homing them. I want to keep every cat I rescue too. I have to tell myself that every extra cat I add to the family means less money, time and attention to give to the ones I already have.

I keep the ones that are too feral to make good pets, or that have health problems such as FIV. All the healthy, friendly ones could make another family complete, so they get new homes.

Keep doing what you're doing Jcatbird.

:goldstar:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement and the gold star! I had someone today who wanted a cat but it turned out to be a bad situation. Those kinds of calls are discouraging but it seems that every time I get tired I get a boost from someone who cares , so thank you for writing! I will keep going. Like you, I keep those that cannot be adopted. I have an interesting blend of kitty family members. Every color and pattern of the kitty rainbow! There are some I let go of that I will never stop missing but even though I have enough love for all of them, it isn't fair to them if I don't have enough time for all of them. Not to mention resources. I am grateful that there are others out there like you. You are taking a big share of the load. I have found others on this site who also share our passion. I think we are making the world a little better when we remove suffering and replace it with happiness. I am at 38 kitties now but I still have more to convince to trust me and come to me. If the day ever comes that I bring in the last member of this colony ( and I fully intend to do that) then I think we should have a celebration! Maybe we can find a way to have a video of fireworks or something! lol I really just hope that day will come without anymore hurt kitties. That will bring me happiness and I will remember every furry face with love and a Cheshire Cat smile! I'll be sure to keep posting the faces of the rescues and their stories. I won't give up! Thank you again for that boost of kind words! I think we should share the gold star! :goldstar:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meet Frosty! A Silver, frosted kitty born just before Christmas. Frosty got a home not long after this photo was taken. Frosty stayed on my shoulder through everything I did. Laundry, dishes, phone calls and his favorite house chore...... sweeping! I often thought he must be more of a bird than a cat.
IMG_7750.JPG

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_4250.JPG
IMG_4292.JPG
First let me say that until recently I knew little about this company. I live in a tiny town and have not had the pleasure of visiting their establishments. I am going to have to change that now that I am learning great things about them. I just wanted to share a photo of one of nine of the kitties I have rescued who have been Spayed/ neutered and provided with rabies vaccination through the assistance of a grant given to our county animal shelter. I think we all appreciate it when pet supply companies give something back to the community. Petco is assisting with efforts to get unwanted , dumped and feral kitties fixed by providing this grant to our county. I have rescued and tamed a lot of kitties and it has been quite a strain on my finances to get them all the proper care. Spaying and Neutering is something I feel is very important because it stops the cycle of kitties producing kittens that may be subjected to disease, predators, suffering, starvation, being unwanted, struggling to survive as ferals, being dumped and even death. I always get the kitties I rescue fixed but the effort to save so many and clear this cat colony was breaking me. I am very grateful that Petco and other companies like them are doing what they can to stop the suffering and make our world better. A huge thank you to them! This kittys' name is named Backpack. Now that he is getting used to people he can't get enough love. He stays as close as possible by laying across my shoulders on my back. I am hoping since he has been neutered and had shots he will find a home very soon.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I took three more kitties to be neutered. I have not had as much time to work with these thre as I have with some of the earlier rescues but they did well with the transport. They got into the carriers voluntarily! That rarely happens! They will have the surgery early tomorrow morning. I will anxiously await the news that I come bring them home. I took Eisenhower, Black Bear and Mountain Bear. Black Bear and Mountain were separated by intruders as kittens. Their mother is Goldie which is short for Goldilocks. Originally she had five baby bears but two were killed. That is when Black Bear vanished. When I discovered he was alive and okay I was delighted. He was nearly grown them so I wanted to get his family members fixed before I try to reunite them. I don't know if a reunion will work but either way they are all living a happy and safe life now. Now they are Goldilocks and the three bears! The family is Mom, Goldie, Dad Blue, daughter Kodiak, sons are Mountain and Black Bear. The kitty with the white face is Dad. His name is Blue because he has one gold eye and one blue eye.
IMG_4288.JPG
IMG_4417.JPG
IMG_4425.JPG
IMG_4756.JPG
IMG_4801.JPG

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The three cats I took to be fixed came home today. All were happy to be back. Fixing them often results in a calmer and more secure acting kitty. I am glad they are throug with the procedure. Hoping recovery of all 13 from the past three weeks will be smooth. Three more are scheduled for next week. Also have an interview for six cats with a rescue/ adoption group. I'd thy are adjusted to be pets well enough, they will be accepted. I have great hope that they will pass with flying colors! Still working on catching kittens. I am asking for good luck for them all. Prayers also welcomed. Picture is Banjo saying a prayer for all the kitties.
IMG_9649.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.