My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
We only got about 3" of heavy, wet snow, but were spared a repeat of the freezing rain and high winds of last week. In 2012, however, we were not so lucky.
A view from our back window:View attachment 445040
Yes, the tree on the left took out part of our garage roofView attachment 445041
After the cleanup. The only damage to our neighbor's was one gutter on her garage
But, 2012 was the year that Prancer joined us, so there is that.View attachment 445042
TG that it only hit your garage and not your house. As bad as it was, it could have always been worse .

Look at it this way, nature supplied you fire wood and an awesome scratching post for Prancer. So at least there is that. 😁

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TG that it only hit your garage and not your house. As bad as it was, it could have always been worse .

Look at it this way, nature supplied you fire wood and an awesome scratching post for Prancer. So at least there is that. 😁
Actually, the top of the tree was leaning against the back of the house, and one branch tore a gouge in the membrane covering the flat roof, hence the blue tarp, while two more just missed the storm door; one on each side. I had to be real careful when cutting it up because of the tension from the weight of the tree. One wrong cut and there would have been a broken window or door- or me, for that matter.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
We had cold rain (and some snow) and horrendous wind on Friday. The top of a very tall tree next door came down landing on live power lines along the ally and our back yard. Lines were down all over the city so power company didn't get here til 10:30 that nite and were here for several hours. All 3 of our Guardian Angel's were working overtime, the tree missed the house just scraping a few shingles from the roof over the back stoop. Could have been very bad. Luckily we never lost power. I thought they would have to at least shut it off while the crew was working but they didn't.View attachment 444960View attachment 444961View attachment 444962View attachment 444963View attachment 444964View attachment 444965View attachment 444966View attachment 444967View attachment 444968View attachment 444969
I cannot tell a lie; I did it with my older brother's trusty chain saw. A co-worker hauled it away for his wood stove.
Wow! Glad everyone is okay from all these tree fallings! Nice pile of logs, N NY cat man .
Across the street from me was a nice huge mountain ash tree, it turned scarlet in the fall and was gorgeous. The past couple of winters have broken branches off, it's multitrunked, and this winter the trunks all split down from our snows, and some branches blew off from high winds.
This week the owners had it fully taken down. I'm going to miss that tree. Right out my front window, it was beautiful and in the fall spectacular :disappointed::(. There, too, no people got damaged. House either.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, the top of the tree was leaning against the back of the house, and one branch tore a gouge in the membrane covering the flat roof, hence the blue tarp, while two more just missed the storm door; one on each side. I had to be real careful when cutting it up because of the tension from the weight of the tree. One wrong cut and there would have been a broken window or door- or me, for that matter.
Sorry that that tree also hit the back of your house as well. Trees can certainly be very dangerous. I am always careful when walking outside after a storm because I know of someone who was walking to her car and was like a yard away when an old tree nearby just toppled over and crushed her car. She was very lucky to not have reached her car at that time or she would have been a goner. Yes, trees are very dangerous. I am glad no one was hurt with that tree that hit your garage, ended up leaning on the back of your house with a branch damaging a section of your roof. TG you were able to safely clear it away. I will never live on a property with big trees on it, after dealing with the very real threat of that Norwegian Spruce-no thank you. Only smaller trees around my home after that. 🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend was standing in her yard and a big branch fell, impacting her head. This was several years ago; she's okay. We have big old magnolias lining our street and they are notorious for dropping branches. Fortunately, our taxes pay for tree trimming. I love trees, and have had several planted in front and back yards. But maintenance becomes necessary after they grow to certain age/height.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering what the average price for Arborists and Tree removal companies these days and it's not cheap. If that Norwegian Spruce was to be removed it would cost easiIy a few thousand bucks if not more. I saw another web site that quoted around 5 grand. 😱 It is not cheap removing trees if you go with a pro.

Tree removal typically costs between $150 and $2,000, with the average cost to cut down a tree falling in the $700–$750 range. Tree removal prices depend on the size of the tree in question, and big trees, in general, cost more to remove than small ones.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering what the average price for Arborists and Tree removal companies these days and it's not cheap. If that Norwegian Spruce was to be removed it would cost easiIy a few thousand bucks if not more. I saw another web site that quoted around 5 grand. 😱 It is not cheap removing trees if you go with a pro.

Tree removal typically costs between $150 and $2,000, with the average cost to cut down a tree falling in the $700–$750 range. Tree removal prices depend on the size of the tree in question, and big trees, in general, cost more to remove than small ones.
I don't know about nowadays, but back in 2012, we were quoted $1100 to remove that Norway maple of our neighbor's that ended up in our yard. The gas and oil for that chainsaw was a whole lot less.
I came across an old photo of one that got away. She was the mother of our cats, with the (maybe) exception of Miss Eleanor. One of our neighbors named her Peaches, and we never knew where she came from; she just showed up one day. She was wild as all get out, never allowing anyone to get near her, and defying all attempts to trap her. She had that injured paw from the first, but don't let that fool you- she still was able to catch squirrels and birds.
014_kindlephoto-807008103.jpg
100_0106.JPG

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Peaches was quite a beauty. Cats are tough as nails, they learn to master any handicap. I seen alot taking care of cats over the years. They have suprised me on many an occasion.

Here is the "This Old House 2023 Tree Removal" guide. It is very thorough.
How Much Does Tree Removal Cost? (2023 Guide)

tabbytom tabbytom Anyone who thinks they own a cat and not the other way around is only fooling themselves. We are lucky they like sharing the house/apartment with us, even the bed we sleep on at night. See how a cat view that bed below. We should be grateful for their generosity. :lol::purr:
9f0ad5b6b8585666cceba759d520fa26.jpg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peaches was quite a beauty. Cats are tough as nails, they learn to master any handicap. I seen alot taking care of cats over the years. They have suprised me on many an occasion.

Here is the "This Old House 2023 Tree Removal" guide. It is very thorough.
How Much Does Tree Removal Cost? (2023 Guide)

tabbytom tabbytom Anyone who thinks they own a cat and not the other way around is only fooling themselves. We are lucky they like sharing the house/apartment with us, even the bed we sleep on at night. See how a cat view that bed below. We should be grateful for their generosity. :lol::purr:
View attachment 445270
If I'm not mistaken, the kitten in the second shot is a baby Prancer. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Prancer was her only kitten that year, or at least the only one to survive.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Anyone who thinks they own a cat and not the other way around is only fooling themselves. We are lucky they like sharing the house/apartment with us, even the bed we sleep on at night. See how a cat view that bed below. We should be grateful for their generosity. :lol::purr:
Yes, see my quote below my avatar?
AA146BBB-CA9F-4267-889D-A85FE24B73EF$L0$001~photo.GIF
AFDA4298-313C-4E5B-80C2-6C3F741ACBD0$L0$001~photo.GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.