My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Well....... new BJ update! He is home but was in hiding all day until something happened. I have him in a large cage in my living room.This is what happened.

Flowers investigates the cage.
View attachment 265112
Blue turns from a frozen stone cat into a curious cat. Was that someone he knows?View attachment 265113
Flowers?!?!? My wife?View attachment 265116
I’m so glad to see you!View attachment 265114
Feeling relaxed and snuggly now!View attachment 265115
I suddenly feel like eating and drinking now !
View attachment 265117
Okay. Time to see my girl!
View attachment 265119
Are you going to let me out now?View attachment 265118
BJ is feeling much better now. He and Flowers were so happy to be reunited. He had no problems letting me pet him and he didn’t try to eat me even once. I guess he knows that in order to get out of prison he has to be on his best behaviour. Lol Soon BJ Bird. Soon.
Have good kitty dreams everyone!
:clap: :banana1: :beerchug:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emergency! Hey everyone! A new member needs help! They posted a PM that I hope will be moved to a thread in the health/ sick kitty section. @Bo’s Mama posted that their cat “Simba is Sick” Please look for the post and weigh in with any helpful information. They have a new baby and can’t take kitty to the vet but love kitty very much and are very upset. Foaming at the mouth/ sick. Has eaten a lizard before. Not sure about now. I would appreciate any help for Simba.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi It came in a PM and I flagged it to ask that it be started as a thread. I don’t know if it was but she had titled it , Simba is Sick. I have not had another message yet but told them to keep writing and post it to me or on thread. I will write them back and ask.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! Norachan Norachan just saw your response! Thank you! We were all worrying about Simba and family! I am hoping that the kitty is okay and that it got rid of something like a lizard since she said it had eaten one before. The lizards and frogs do make them foam at the mouth but I didn’t want her to just ignore the problem thinking it would go away. Vet care is always the safest route but I also understand the expenses of having a new baby might leave them a bit strapped.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay everyone. Time to move along to a kitty update. I have had a slow down with the shelter here. They are quite full with kitties and, as we all know, everyone and every shelter can only handle a certain number. When I first started this thread I had only gotten 32 cats adopted out. Now we have 72 safely in homes. Some have even celebrated their first birthdays with their families since then. Yay! So many wonderful people have come forward to bring kitties into their lives. Remdbery first photos of Turtle and Domino? We’ve come a long way together at TCS.
Over the past few weeks I have been struggling to find new resources. I always seem to have better luck in my searches for others but...... this week I got a new lead from my foster friend who was facing the same problem. This shelter has much more stringent adoption rules and no surrender fees. Wow! They have been checked out and they provide a private cat tree and cubby for each cat they take. They are a no kill shelter. Every revuers dream of a safe shelter! I called this shelter two days ago to be put on their waiting list. I explained that these are all adult cats that I pulled in and that some are still shy but friendly. I worried that I would get an immediate no but they asked some questions and I told them more about the cats and the situation as well as their vet status. They agreed to add us to their list. Today they called me back. They shifted some things around and the young man I spoke to was super kind. They will accept two cats from me this Saturday! I am in shock. The world can be so great! Liberty and Tortuga will be leaving to find homes. I have been under a lot of pressure and very worried about continuing to work with rescuing kitties but, once again, help has appeared! A brand new saga begins. New hope in another state. I can finally breathe again. I didn’t say much about my concerns before now because I didn’t want to discourage any new rescuers who might happen to read the post but now I have such a great and rapid response I wanted to posts it to show others that they should never, never give up. Rainbows can come out of the storms! Always keep hoping and searching. Networking with others works! There is strength in numbers. Yay! I will let everyone know how things go!

BJ is loving being petted. Thank you everyone for your support with him. surya surya dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 rubysmama rubysmama
Norachan Norachan M maggiedemi and all the many others. Your support with the BJ events helped me with him and behind the scenes it helped me to withstand my concerns over adoption options. I really appreciate all of the people who come here. Thank you!:heartshape:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@white shadow Thank you for your aid in so many ways!
@NY cat man Nice to see you checking in! Thank you! Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I hope you are feeling better! Love sent your way!
How about a few pictures?

If BJ keeps this up he will soon be allowed more freedom in the house.
09AF8564-6FC0-4CAA-98AF-97E1DBF6BF9C.jpeg

He is very interested now in observing the other cats in the house!
2EA5F024-B0B4-4B40-9ECA-A1F9675DC037.jpeg

A little scrathknh with a human ginger is good!
E2FC7446-6C9D-4DA2-8DB4-1309F2D8EFEB.jpeg

Some snuggling the fingers is even better!
DA955B29-2340-42C5-AC4D-2420978D726D.jpeg

Time for a new picture of Whistle too!
30389E15-710B-4E3E-9AAB-EEE42684F069.jpeg

Now it’s time for all us kitties to get some rest. It was a very long but productive day!
CADC5355-BE4B-4EB9-A9EE-69E49A0EF708.jpeg

Good night to all! :heartshape:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird --Were all 72 that you placed in homes feral? That is amazing. There is only one feral rescue here and it says on their website that ferals cannot be tamed, they should be neutered/spayed and returned outside. :eek2:
I'm like what the heck, they are supposed to be experts on feral cats, yet don't know that they can be tamed. :headscratch:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there is just a lack of resources to tame feral cats, and the rescues have to spend their time on the easy to tame ones, like young kittens. At least that is how it is in Houston. There are way too many cats and not enough volunteers to help them. But saying they can not be tamed is not true, although they may not be the cuddly lap cat most adopters want. I know that if people gave my unadoptable's a chance, they would come to love them.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi Not all 72 were ferals, a few were semi ferals and a few were dumped or strays but a great many are true ferals that survived in the woods as any other wild animal. A few will not be the cuddly lap cats many desire but an amazing amount of them have adapted over time to become very desiring of human company. They can and have been tamed! Viscious has been renamed Flowers and she is an excellent example of a feral becoming tame. She now lets me pick her up, hold her in my lap and purrs. She plays and seeks me out for attention. She does not hide and no longer attacks, bites, or scratches. I first called her Viscious because she was the most aggressive feral I had ever encountered. If I went into the woods and happened to come across her she would run at me and attack me. I never thought this girl would be tame. The name of Flowers suits her perfectly. She even head bumps me now. Opinions are slowly changing. Too slowly. I am now finding my bed covered with a fur blanket of “ferals” at night. Was this a quick process? No, but even some strays take longer than some of the ferals. Much depends on the cats personality and life experiences.@surya is right, resources go to the ones most quickly tamed for adoption. There are so many in need and ferals take more time, devoted attention and resources. I hope that site will stop posting that because it will discourage those who might be willing and able to rescue ferals. You can’t believe everything you read but many people do. For anyone reading this who wants to save a feral, please know that it can be done! They appreciate love and can also return your love! Don’t give up!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They posted something similar on their Facebook page saying that "Feral cats do not want to live with people." They got a lot of angry replies from people saying that just is not true!
Yes, I noticed some people are very militant in expressing this view. I think it is a political thing. There are some animal rights groups who don't think people should even have pets. It's messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.