My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I've started whispering to myself to "Keep Going" when trying to complete a task. It really helps to calm my nerves. 👍

I think I would stop suffering once I was "allowed" to wash things. 🧼

Yes, we'll keep trying. 🤝

The Chicken Shreds are out of stock everywhere! Hopefully they restock soon, I only have enough for a week. 😲

Sounds cozy & safe. :cloud9:

I like this idea. High enough where evil can't reach. :crossfingers:
:alright::grouphug2::grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::redheartpump::hearthrob::hugs::bouquet:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi Yes, it's like a mantra! And when I think of him getting to be almost 100, and going through all the stuff he must have gone through in his life, it's extra encouragement for me. If he could do that, surely I must be able to do this!;)
Jcatbird Jcatbird hope the toe presented itself well :) and that the new antibiotics are working!
Yes, you can run, Wanda Heart, but you can't hide forever from the Vet in the Closet (is that anything like the Elf on the Shelf? I have no idea what that is, but it sounds like they might be related?:flail:) That is a really splendid chair, BTW. Looks like it came from a European palace! Is there a story there? Were you romancing a prince? *We all have secrets :agree:*
Do you weld? Ex #3 did, and I watched him a time or two, but he never let me try. I've always wished I could solder, because my dad used to repair my jewelry but now...it just sits in a box, waiting.
COLD (for here) last night/this morning! It got down to 45F at least. It's now 49F. A significant storm on the way next week, which should start the seasonal snowpack in the mountains where I lived. It will be so beautiful especially at this time. I have fond memories of driving to the grocery store in the little town next to our community and seeing the houses all lit up with the snowy mountain backdrop -- just like the places everyone knows about, but at that time, it was our little secret that only the locals really knew about.
Welding, like soldering, is not that difficult to learn; it is mostly about cleanliness and temperature control and using the correct solder or welding rod/wire for the materials being joined. I am sure that there are adult classes offered in your area that you could take. I learned to weld by doing it- simple things at first, then more complex. It is like any other skill; the more you do it the easier it is to do.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welding, like soldering, is not that difficult to learn; it is mostly about cleanliness and temperature control and using the correct solder or welding rod/wire for the materials being joined. I am sure that there are adult classes offered in your area that you could take. I learned to weld by doing it- simple things at first, then more complex. It is like any other skill; the more you do it the easier it is to do.
Thanks for the encouragement! Not possible for me, but it is a good skill!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH OH OH! My little Rayven is a QUEEN! She showed up tonight, and as usual, dived between my hands for her loves. I managed to get my fingers on the pertinent bit of cat anatomy. I couldn't tell by looking, as she only comes at night, is JET black, and floofy! I had to let my fingers do the walking! If she's not a queen, then someone neutered at some point, but I'm going with "IT'S A GIRL!"

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi Yes! Keep reminding yourself to keep going. It does help us to repeat things as in a mantra. It is calming and healing.
We will get where we want to be.
Hold yourself on a high ground. Others will hold you up too. In other words, always take the high road. If we do that then we do rise above ill thoughts or actions.🤝 < Helping hand up.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I think the toe looks a tiny bit better. Not as red. Hoping and keeping positive thoughts. I probably need to stay shoeless a little more. I am doing that this weekend. It’s my first chance to do that more.
Vet in the closet is probably a lot like Elf on a shelf. Maybe better!!:) Wanda Heart might prefer an Elf though. Lol
I wish there was a prince behind that chair. Lol That is one of a pair that was passed down for many generations. I put them in the closet so the cats could not get to them. :flail:Yeah, right. The kitties seem to think they belong to a prince though. They have not sharpened their claws in them or anything yet. Of course, that is the room favored by Prints so maybe he is the story behind them and protects them? There is definitely a Unicorn behind them.
I do not weld. The gloveswere something I got for cat handling but have never needed them. Handy for the vets though! They did use them. No one got scratched or bitten but if a cat had tried, the gloves would have prevented injury.
I can solder though. It’s pretty easy really. The solder gun melts the wire and bonds whatever you are trying to fasten together. Just don’t let the melted wire drip on you! Ouch! You could fix that jewelry. Soldering guns are pretty inexpensive and so is the wire. The soldering gun can be sort of gun shaped but I have one that is sort of pen shaped. I practiced on things like safety pins or other wire objects before I did anything that mattered to me. Kind of fun to do! Sort of artsy.
The image of driving to the store with a snowy backdrop to the town is lovely and brings back my own memories of snowy places I have loved. My first ice storm was something I never knew about before. Everything coated in ice. I remember splitting leaf shaped ice off of plants and the ice was a perfect copy of the leaf. The ground looked like snow but it was deep ice. It crunched when I walked in it. Soooo cold but , except for creaking beaches, the world was muffled to silence like I had never experience. Not one vehicle anywhere. No sound but the birds. I put a piece of old plywood on the ground and covered it in birdseed. Cardinals and others came to feed. I put a dish of warm water there and they drank too. They seemed to be okay in the cold but with the ice covering the ground and feeders, they needed a place to eat. I got to watch the birds up close all day. I went into this cavernous area of bamboo and the ice actually insulated it. No wind penetrated and it was much warmer where the birds went. The world was cleansed and quiet and pure. Beautiful.

N NY cat man I guess welding is soldering on giant scale? Lol Getting a nice even bead of solder is a very satisfying thing. I think I would like welding!! More equipment needed though. Or at least bigger and tanks. Lol

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Rayven is a girl? Queen Raven!! Royal lady now.
I know what you mean about glue guns! Hot glue can drip and form hot strings that grab you like a spider web!! Yow!!!!! I think soldering is much easier. Lol

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there more to the vet day?? yes. It takes time to stick and examine 25 hiding cats!lol
Could a cat hide in the cabinet?
I see Tortie paws!
0BE0724E-6F1F-4820-8F70-45CADDA7BAAF.jpeg

How about An elf under the shelf ?
D2DE15AB-9241-42AA-B780-5F4A03F2F070.jpeg

Cheetah…. Someone behind your behind!!
3E0A378E-5A1B-4779-856D-A3E4C9D240BF.jpeg

Just don’t look Cheetah!
2597EF01-36CB-4F98-8DAE-479C8B59D117.jpeg
Hmmmm.
While we were busy someone else took advantage. Treats for free!

4BAAB082-F120-44A8-B2FD-1B36F8C4B106.jpeg

Kitties!!!! Lol

Attachments

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welding can be accomplished in a number of ways; from using a forge to hammer weld, to using a torch to gas weld, to electric (arc) welding with equipment as basic as a 12 volt car battery and a set of jumper cables to multi-thousand dollar specialized machines that automatically feed from a spool of wire using an inert gas shield. I've done all but the car battery one, and if I can then anyone can.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Welding can be accomplished in a number of ways; from using a forge to hammer weld, to using a torch to gas weld, to electric (arc) welding with equipment as basic as a 12 volt car battery and a set of jumper cables to multi-thousand dollar specialized machines that automatically feed from a spool of wire using an inert gas shield. I've done all but the car battery one, and if I can then anyone can.
I use to work in a factory operating an electric spot-welding machine.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my dad used to repair my jewelry but now...it just sits in a box, waiting.
I used to love jewelry, but now I hate it. It just seems to get in the way, my hands are always in water. ⌚💍

We will get where we want to be.
I hope so. 🏃‍♀️

I put a piece of old plywood on the ground and covered it in birdseed. Cardinals and others came to feed. I put a dish of warm water there and they drank too.
Empathy is everything. :hugs:

No wind penetrated and it was much warmer where the birds went. The world was cleansed and quiet and pure. Beautiful.
I think I would like that place. :cloud9:

I see Tortie paws!
Awww, is that my Lady? ❤

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi It does, which is why I always have jewelry to repair! I come from a background where traditionally, we wear our wealth on ourselves so it's ready if we need it. My mom was just covered in jewelry. One of the hardest things in my life was when she asked for her jewelry to be taken off at the last. That was heartbreaking for me.
Yes, Jcatbird Jcatbird , it is so beautiful in the snow! Though I'd had day trips to the local mountains when there was snow, and visited a favorite family place when it had snowed, I never lived in it before moving to the Mojave and the first time it snowed, my then-husband called me out to see it and I was absolutely speechless with wonder. It's so different when it snows in a natural setting from when it snows in a dirty, polluted, overpopulated city! I took pictures every time it snowed up there, and they are among my treasured memories. The silence! It is spiritual. It makes one stop and know our true place in the world.
Twenty-five examined and innoculated -- what a job well done!
And though it may seem forever and annoying, hopefully (and *PRAYERS* continuing!) that toe will look just like the others soon, and all will be well -- maybe even a new pair of shoes will be warranted?;)
My dad was good at soldering because when he fixed something you couldn't even see it.
My ex and I did a lot of re-sisaling of scratching posts with hot glue and staples with a staple gun. I can do these things but can't afford the tools or supplies. Still, it was a wonderful learning experience! as was watching him weld. Along with the not-so-wonderful memories are these, of learning new and useful things.
scan0010.jpg
scan0011.jpg
scan0006.jpg

First snow at our Mojave place.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man That’s a lot of ways to weld!! Once again, I wish I was closer so you could watch me try and then laugh at the results.:lol: I am sure it takes practice! Is there anything you can’t do?

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Well that is very cool! You did spot welding. We just never know about all the talents the people around us have tucked away!

M maggiedemi I still love jewelry but don’t wear it. It gets in the way most of the time. Once in a great while when I have to go somewhere special I do wear a pin on the lapel of my coat. It’s pretty much out of the way.

Empathy is everything. It teaches us.,

Oh you would have loved that spot! It was my secret place. The bamboo had left a circular spot open in the middle. Whatever was in that spot was surrounded and hidden. During windy summer days the sound of the bamboo being moved by wind was like whispering. Soft but relaxing. In winter snow it was like a pocket of warmth compared to the outside. The birds loved it there and they felt safe enough to come very close. The kitties used to follow me there but they never bothered the birds. It was like a sanctuary for all creatures. There was a little chipmunk that I would see there in Spring snd Summer. He was so cute!!

That was Tortie with the paws showing. Lady is coming up soon though!! She was being very Lady like! Lol

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Spiritual is a good word for the perfect purity and silence of a new snow. I still get excited when I see a flurry coming down. My first snow was when I was pretty young but it made a huge impression. Every one after that did too. Of course I didn’t live with constant snow like some people have to deal with. For us it never lasted more than a week or two. Waking up to seeing new snow that was unmarked was always beautiful tonme. The last snow I had, I tried not to make footprints for awhile to enjoy it longer.,lol In the end I had to dig paths for the ferals though. Lots and lots of paths!! I had shelters for them that were heated but no kitty wanted to come out to potty. A lot of kitties decided to become house kitties that week!!
The Mojave is amazing in snow. It’s so neat to see the different plants covered in snow. Seeing palm trees here with snow seems odd but very pretty. You had a unique and magical scene there. Definitely spiritual.,
I know about wearing your wealth in jewelry. It is a lovely old tradition. Many cultures do that. My grandmother wore hers too. Probably nothing like your mom but still emotional when it came off.
Yes!!25 kitties in one day!! The others had been vetted before my toe hit so bad. So…. All cats up to date! Yay!
I love your idea of new shoes when my toe is ready!! Shopping is not the easiest thing but maybe I can go to the big specialty outlet. It is open air and has awesome shoe stores. If nothing else, I can promise I will dance! Lol Like no one is watching. :lol:
Snow pictures for you. Southern snow.
B80C3A8F-478B-4952-8042-14CB8D1631DD.jpeg
21C0EEFF-BBA2-499E-9460-258232D61FFF.jpeg
8ACF6085-CE0F-4DD4-BCF4-BE4370507122.jpeg
55A07936-27C8-4322-8F0E-4E12E6FB43ED.jpeg
828C3907-2C2C-43F6-88D5-10D6530726C0.jpeg
B7269CA6-7A54-4521-A0A2-625D19140D4D.jpeg
425FA77D-B2CE-428A-B4E5-5FABC6DCF3C0.jpeg
D9172E17-BD4C-4F2C-8380-5C2B4C472DB7.jpeg

rubysmama rubysmama We still have a few vet day pictures. Lady and Muffin. Lol My hands were holding cats for the most part but if only I had caught some other things!! I got what I could though. Loll
That kitty picture is so cute!! It reminds me of how BJ sits. That cat has dreams of fishies and bunnies. Big ears!!:lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man That’s a lot of ways to weld!! Once again, I wish I was closer so you could watch me try and then laugh at the results.:lol: I am sure it takes practice! Is there anything you can’t do?

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Well that is very cool! You did spot welding. We just never know about all the talents the people around us have tucked away!

M maggiedemi I still love jewelry but don’t wear it. It gets in the way most of the time. Once in a great while when I have to go somewhere special I do wear a pin on the lapel of my coat. It’s pretty much out of the way.

Empathy is everything. It teaches us.,

Oh you would have loved that spot! It was my secret place. The bamboo had left a circular spot open in the middle. Whatever was in that spot was surrounded and hidden. During windy summer days the sound of the bamboo being moved by wind was like whispering. Soft but relaxing. In winter snow it was like a pocket of warmth compared to the outside. The birds loved it there and they felt safe enough to come very close. The kitties used to follow me there but they never bothered the birds. It was like a sanctuary for all creatures. There was a little chipmunk that I would see there in Spring snd Summer. He was so cute!!

That was Tortie with the paws showing. Lady is coming up soon though!! She was being very Lady like! Lol

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Spiritual is a good word for the perfect purity and silence of a new snow. I still get excited when I see a flurry coming down. My first snow was when I was pretty young but it made a huge impression. Every one after that did too. Of course I didn’t live with constant snow like some people have to deal with. For us it never lasted more than a week or two. Waking up to seeing new snow that was unmarked was always beautiful tonme. The last snow I had, I tried not to make footprints for awhile to enjoy it longer.,lol In the end I had to dig paths for the ferals though. Lots and lots of paths!! I had shelters for them that were heated but no kitty wanted to come out to potty. A lot of kitties decided to become house kitties that week!!
The Mojave is amazing in snow. It’s so neat to see the different plants covered in snow. Seeing palm trees here with snow seems odd but very pretty. You had a unique and magical scene there. Definitely spiritual.,
I know about wearing your wealth in jewelry. It is a lovely old tradition. Many cultures do that. My grandmother wore hers too. Probably nothing like your mom but still emotional when it came off.
Yes!!25 kitties in one day!! The others had been vetted before my toe hit so bad. So…. All cats up to date! Yay!
I love your idea of new shoes when my toe is ready!! Shopping is not the easiest thing but maybe I can go to the big specialty outlet. It is open air and has awesome shoe stores. If nothing else, I can promise I will dance! Lol Like no one is watching. :lol:
Snow pictures for you. Southern snow.View attachment 404130View attachment 404131View attachment 404132View attachment 404133View attachment 404134View attachment 404135View attachment 404136View attachment 404137

rubysmama rubysmama We still have a few vet day pictures. Lady and Muffin. Lol My hands were holding cats for the most part but if only I had caught some other things!! I got what I could though. Loll
That kitty picture is so cute!! It reminds me of how BJ sits. That cat has dreams of fishies and bunnies. Big ears!!:lol:
There are loads of things that I can't- or won't- do. Most of those that I can do were learned out of necessity, like soldering with a torch because we couldn't afford a plumber to redo the kitchen and bathroom. Still no leaks as of yet. I wouldn't laugh because I've been there myself; my first welding attempts were gawdawful to look at, but they worked. It is the same for everyone else; we all have to start somewhere. Maybe I have an aptitude for such things, or I'm too stubborn and independent-minded to rely on others- or I'm too cheap to hire out for what I can do myself.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still get excited when I see a flurry coming down. My first snow was when I was pretty young but it made a huge impression. Every one after that did too. Of course I didn’t live with constant snow like some people have to deal with. For us it never lasted more than a week or two.
I don't exactly get excited when I see a flurry coming down, as it usually signifies the beginning of winter, or a blizzard. I'll admit that freshly fallen snow looks pretty, but in the city, with car exhaust, it doesn't take long before it's dirty and disgusting.

We had our first major snowfall Wednesday night, and then a major rainstorm on Saturday, so all that snow we had to shovel is all gone. But more will find us again soon, I'm sure. ❄❄❄

Who are the pretty kitties in the snow pics? Callie and Smokey, maybe?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does, which is why I always have jewelry to repair!
Life changed when I got the cats, hands always in water, so no more jewelry and nails cut short. 🧼🧽

During windy summer days the sound of the bamboo being moved by wind was like whispering. Soft but relaxing. In winter snow it was like a pocket of warmth compared to the outside.
I'll take the summer version of this scenario! :thumbsup:

That was Tortie with the paws showing.
Her name is confusing. Whenever you say Tortie, I always think of Tortie/Calico colors! :lol:

I didn’t live with constant snow like some people have to deal with. For us it never lasted more than a week or two.
A week or two?! Try 6 months of winter. Or more like 9 months. It's always freezing in NY. 🥶

I know about wearing your wealth in jewelry. It is a lovely old tradition.
For some reason this makes me think of Anastasia Romanov! If you know the story. 😲

Shopping is not the easiest thing but maybe I can go to the big specialty outlet.
That's why they invented online shopping!!! Banjo will assist you. :bicolorcat:

We still have a few vet day pictures. Lady and Muffin.
Save the best for last...Whoops, there I go playing favorites again. :headshake:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi No, I don't know a story about Anastasia and jewelry -- just that she was a member of that family and that they were all murdered but that there are persistent rumors that she survived. She didn't, of course.
rubysmama rubysmama Yes, urban snow is dirty and disgusting, not to mention very inconvenient! That's why desert snow is so different and so lovely.
Jcatbird Jcatbird palms won't grow at 4,100 ft. We brought our little fan palm up there and planted it, thinking it would thrive. It died. Anywhere with snow and temperatures near 0F won't accomodate palms. Down in the "flats" as we called the low desert to the north of us, and to the east, like in Palm Springs, Indio, Indian Wells, etc., they grow date palms. It's a big industry in that area.
It is amazing to see snow on the joshua trees, though! Most people stoutly deny that it snows in the desert. There is proof that it does. We were 5 miles down the mountain from the area ski resort, which topped out at 10,000 ft. LOTS of snow there. At night we could see the lights on the ski runs in winter. We'd get pellets for our pellet stove at the hardware store up there, plus our long johns and other winter stuff we had to have. And we'd tour the houses all decked out in lights, and stop in for a hot chocolate and a pastry at a shop up there for a treat.
I also want to know which beauties those are playing in the snow! Did Sarah love the snow? That's a gorgeous big Sago palm you have there! I had a bonsai Sago but sadly, couldn't keep it going.
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG

In the first pic, you'll see Robert standing under his big juniper in the chickens' yard.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't know a story about Anastasia and jewelry -- just that she was a member of that family and that they were all murdered but that there are persistent rumors that she survived. She didn't, of course.
They had all their jewelry hidden inside their clothes when they were murdered, so it took longer to kill them. I guess one of the killers wrote about it? That's how they finally found her body a few years ago, he told the location? I always loved the Anastasia story as a kid and I hoped that she survived. But she didn't, we know for sure now that Anna Anderson was an impostor. ☹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They had all their jewelry hidden inside their clothes when they were murdered, so it took longer to kill them. I guess one of the killers wrote about it? That's how they finally found her body a few years ago, he told the location? I always loved the Anastasia story as a kid and I hoped that she survived. But she didn't, we know for sure now that Anna Anderson was an impostor. ☹
The family treated their people horribly, as do just about all so-called "royals" and what followed turned out to be no better. Human nature! *This is one of countless reasons why I prefer CATS* :happycat:

New item by Jmuhj Acat

Baby Su is watchin' you! :hearthrob::bicolorcat::hearthrob:

Status
Not open for further replies.