My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have escaped the box and both catbird and cat live. No alcohol needed since this morning.
I will backtrack on the story but first I need to address some posts.
JosieQ JosieQ I am in love with your kitties! I understand the difficulty in parting with any cat. I am closing in on saying goodbye to 70+ adoptions and 20 much worse farewells. It never gets easier. The thing is, in order to give a kitty the very best we can, we cannot divide our attention between so many that they don’t get enough. What if one gets sick? The time and expense makes it hard to care for the others. They all need love, playtime, snuggles, health care, toys and food. I started with one cat. I began rescuing a colony 10+ years ago. Sadly, most had Leukemia. I tended the sick, comforted the dying, immunized the healthy, spayed neutered and adopted out those I could. The unadopted remained with me. 10 total and I ended a sick colony. Over the next years I acquired 5 others. 4 belonged to a friend who became permanently ill and disabled. I thought I was babysitting but it became permanent as his health declined. Another was brought to me by an old Tom cat. It was an orphaned kitten that arrived one Christmas night, a gift from the Tom cat. The kitten was having trouble breathing. Asthma. The old cat, Marcus, ( only spoke French) saved it that night. I named the kitten Bonjure. Marcus passed not long after bringing me the baby. Bonjure is now healthy but at the time no one would adopt an asthmatic kitten. He is the baby of the family. I had one other for three years. Missy. She belonged to a friend who lived next door. He had a major stroke on my birthday and I happened to be nearby when his truck ran off the road. He asked me to take his cat. I did. I thought it was permanent but last year he finally recovered enough to take his Missy home. I was heart broken but also very happy for them both. They are very happy to be reunited and doing very well. The story continues as I began to notice cats last year being used for target practice. I thought I was done ending colonies but I could not turn my back. How can I give attention to more cats? I have devoted every moment and every penny to rescuing, Spay/neuter, immunizing, socializing and loving. I have brought in a few at a time as I could catch them. Males, females and kittens. I poured my heart into every single one. Some babies I bottle raised. They are all my babies. The colony was over 100 kitties. Some dumped, some lost, some feral. With all the time I spend getting attached it is earth shattering to let even one go. Yet, I must. They all deserve more attention and time than one person can spread among so many. There are also others waiting in peril that need help. Do I think of my feelings or theirs? Tough call. I choose to put them first. I love them so much I want to give them the very best I can find. I cry at every kitty leaving. Sometimes it’s very hard to get past it. The bottle babies are probably the hardest. But you should know about what happens after I let them go. Over time I have begun to hear the wonderful, happy endings. I get messages, texts, emails and phone calls from people telling me how much they love their cat or how that kitty has impacted their lives in positive ways. Children are growing up with kitty companions that they will never forget. Kittens are providing laughter in houses where it is needed. Kitty and human lives are better because I let them go. If you get a call where you feel your heart fall, try to hold on. Make sure the home is a good one, give the kitty a chance at being loved and the center of attention and stay in touch with the adopting family if possible. I am betting that you will get a call one day telling you how special the kitty you gave away has turned out to be. I just got a call from a woman who was celebrating the birthday of a cat I had raised from a baby. She is giving Shakespeare a wonderful life and he now owns that house. He has a family a dog he walks with in the park and a Mother who thinks he is the most beautiful cat she has ever seen. She spoils him. He was one of the first of the 100 colony that I pulled in. When he left he made room for me to save another. I still have more to let go. I will cry again. I will also celebrate as each kitty finds a furever home. I will hold on to each cat that remains with me and give them all the love and attention they deserve. They are my comfort and lifetime companions. The unadopted need me the most. I hope you find some way to get through things the way I have. I will always offer you comfort and support with what you are doing. I know of others who go through this as well. We support each other and it helps to know we are not alone.
Over SEVENTY adoptions, you just blew my mind!

I know you've got your own concerns right now so I'll try to keep my reply short.

I completely get your point about being unable to divide our attention. My three house-cats are already getting far less attention than I want to give them now that these two strays (and the one outside) are getting more. I feel terrible about it and really do want to find them a good home so I can get back to loving up my home-team. (One of whom is right now putting her butt in my face. Yes thank you for the trust, I love you too.)

Of course I have the fear that even if I find a good home for the street-urchins, something unforeseen could happen like someone opens a door, and Nixon runs out, and gets hit by a bus, and for the rest of my life I'll be like "But if I'd just kept him!!"

I know, you can't plan for everything. I know I'm a worrier. DX

Also trying to make it clear in my ads and flyers that I want follow-ups with these two when they get adopted, hope the people do that.

I'm putting in too that if it doesn't work out for some reason, they can always give me BACK the cats to re-home myself because obviously I wouldn't want them dumped at a shelter to be euthanized. Would people do that? Or would they feel like they wouldn't want to admit failure or something and just dump them outside or in a shelter anyway?

So many worries, ugh! Stop it braiiiin!!

(Speaking of, anyone got good sites to advertise on? I'm getting on PetFinder but I'll take any other suggestions. I'm also gonna print physical flyers to put up on bulletin boards on the fancy side of town. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some rich people to lavish and spoil these guys.)

The story continues as I began to notice cats last year being used for target practice.
This makes me literally want to kill someone. I swear, sometimes I get so enraged and overwhelmed by things I see in the world and online. I read a story once about some people who microwaved a cat, saw a video of crushing, that was like 10 years ago and I still literally dream about it. I think most people let this kind of crap go but it stays with me forever, I mean, I've got problems. Sometimes I think I'm on the verge of going crazy Nietzsche-like when he saw a horse beaten in the street. :disappointed: I really get to thinking sometimes that I should just give up my life to become a vigilante and go out doing outright murder to these inhuman sociopaths. (But then who would take care of my cats? Guess I'll put that off for now...)

Okay no one call the cops on me just yet, I'm okay right now. Like I said before, seeing people like you putting in so much insane effort to help just one cat, it really helps my messed-up broken brain deal with life. I'm sure you get thanks from cats, but here's a thanks from a human. ;)

Really invested in BJ's story too, so even though I know you'll keep us updated, keep us updated! We want that payoff where he's finally realized you haven't betrayed him, but done something for his own good. I'm ready to riot in the street if I don't get that closure!!

No pressure.

:kiss:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine Love does conquer all. Bj will get love. It is the best thing I have to offer him. Getting him inside.... you are correct! It must have been magic because it wasn’t me. I had already tried everything. When I turned my back on him, he appeared by my side. Hmmmm. Catspeak.
@Avery Thank you for posting with us and for your kind words. As you can see, this is a wonderful group of people. The support always lifts me up and inspires me. Forgive me if I have missed offering you assistance if needed but please PM or tag me if I can share more resources.
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Your friend is correct! I love that and the Jackson story. BJ has been a Poppa to many. I count myself lucky to have caught his babies and now stopped the breeding cycle. It gets out of hand so easily. I think it’s great that a new generation is pitching in to contribute so much to the responsible control of feral breeding. The future is becoming brighter.
Furballsmom Furballsmom i thought of you today and did play music. If you really want a giggle, he must be tone deaf or I shocked him. BJ was steadily crying so I played some classical music. It didn’t stop the crying so I started singing to him. It was an old ballad my daughter liked. He stopped crying. Poor BJ must have decided to suffer in silence rather than listen to catterwalling from me! M maggiedemi I tried everything with Bj to try to convince him to come in. My hurry up voice, as you suggested, begging, sweet talk, treats, toys and desperation. Only BJ really knows how he came to be by my side. I also don’t know how he missed seeing me reach to shut the door but I am grateful that he stayed. The Raccoons and Opossums were just outside my door. Thank you for all of your great tips.
@surya Thank you for reminding me to remain calm. We do worry, don’t we? The cats do pick up on that so that was great advice.
@dustydiamond1 You must have lived in this area before. I had to smile when I read ,” keep firearm handy”. Police will come here for a trespasser. The real trick would be tackling the person and holding on until they got here. I expect the person would just drag me with them if I held on. Kind of like a fish on a line. I’m just not big enough! Lol I am relieved that BJ will not be exposed to that person again. All kidding aside, there are very bad people coming through this area. I am just off an interstate, right on a highway and very near a large airport. The same airport where I nearly got carjacked. One of our best officers suffered a gunshot at the cross section of the highway and interstate not long ago. He recovered but the criminal didn’t. The world contains good and bad.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine Love does conquer all. Bj will get love. It is the best thing I have to offer him.
Jcatbird Jcatbird - Love is the only thing of value in this life. Even Sarah knew this.

Getting him inside.... you are correct! It must have been magic because it wasn’t me. I had already tried everything. When I turned my back on him, he appeared by my side. Hmmmm. Catspeak.
I wasn't suggesting that hard work wasn't 99% of the reason he trusted you sufficiently to follow you inside - but that last one percent is always up to a higher power, n'est pas?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@rubysmama I am glad you are here. If you find this thread worthy of the forum then I am honored to have been able to share the stories of such great cats. BJ has really had me jumping through hoops. Last night was a spine tingler for me! Enraged feral at my back! Don’t move a muscle! Lol I didn’t. He did well by me. Cats are so great. I didn’t get a single scratch. Yet! If I do things right then I probably won’t get a scratch. I just hope I am as smart as the cats. They seem to understand us better than we understand them. I continue to learn even at this late date.
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I just realized that you subtly brought something to light earlier today. BJ makes kitty number 100 brought into my home. There is something about the number that is shocking. 100 poor kitties! How could that many need help in such a small area? Not one other person in this location has pulled in a single cat. Some were lost because I could not work fast enough. I will be ramping up my efforts to help the county shelter. I have raised awareness a bit here but I need to keep working. This was not the first colony I pulled in here but I would like for it to be the last. Thank you for snapping my head to attention. BJ will ever be, “ the poster child” in my mind.
Norachan Norachan That was so great! I read it to BJ. If he didn’t understand it all yet, he will. He is far more feral than I knew. He behaved like such a lamb outside. We were in his element then. Now his behavior tells on him. From lamb to lion but hopefully he will soon return to the lamb. ( or at least a good imitation lol) He may be my new family member. We will see what BJ wants as time goes by.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He behaved like such a lamb outside. We were in his element then. Now his behavior tells on him. From lamb to lion but hopefully he will soon return to the lamb.
Jcatbird Jcatbird - Read Blake...

"When the stars threw down their spears
And watered Heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the Lamb make thee?"

...but trust in Isaiah 11:6.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird - Read Blake...

"When the stars threw down their spears
And watered Heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the Lamb make thee?"

...but trust in Isaiah 11:6.
And tonight I shall dwell with the lamb.
BJ is finally moving but still has not taken food or drink. He cries almost continuously. He will stop if I sing to him so I am going to stay with him tonight. The room is an enclosed porch so it may be a bit cool but I will be his heater. I have not pulled the heaters from storage yet but the time has come! When three cats were out there they cuddled in the first cool nights but BJ is alone so I need to provide for him tonight. He won’t get on the blankets right now but I am hoping that during the night he will seek out a warm place beside me. If he does that then I think I will make better progress with him. He is still hiding but maybe this cooler air will work to bring him close. It’s worth trying. If he refuses then I will put a heater there tomorrow night. I will put a heating pad where I can bring it out for him if I think he is too cold.

My smile tonight comes from my other kitties. The shuffling of cat locations has been disruptive to all but they are troopers. All things considered, they have managed very well even though a couple have had to go into the cages because of the kitties who go for adoption this week. The caged kitties have not fully accepted them yet and since they are leaving I had decided not to push the relationship further. I am sure they would all have settled with more time but these kitties need homes so...... Of course now I wish I had pushed them a bit but that might have set the rescues back on their chance to go for adoption. It’s always a judgement call. I did not anticipate having to put any cat in the house of the Bengals. None of the Bengals have intermingled as we as the other breeds. Jeremiah could, I think but I chose to keep the litter together. I knew if I divided the boys up, I could not reunite them again very easily. I enclosed the room specifically for them. So much for best laid plans!

Some cats just don’t get ruffled by much. They find a comfy spot and go to sleep.
90B918CC-25FD-409C-80B3-52F67E260FDA.jpeg

Some give the s crunchy face! Hmmmmph! Shut me in here?
5138AE05-E1EE-4968-B401-62C6DF6BE1D7.jpeg

Mitsy, our potatoe chip cat is a little concerned about the crying cat on the porch. Mom! Do something!
837AB4D9-FC1E-4BA7-9C73-8B700B5D0B1A.jpeg

Thrasher wants her cage back!
DE6D167D-C788-4DA5-B818-9452C01599A9.jpeg

Precious marks the cage to claim it from Thrasher!
F62C482F-9FEC-4377-82CF-304C2308143C.jpeg

Little girl Lambie is just fine as long as she can perch on her carrier, wherever she is.
809AB317-815E-47C8-B255-83C36A828789.jpeg

Kodiak is giving me the. “ big eyes”,
C80E1E41-40C8-4EB5-8306-61DE09AAC1C3.jpeg

Mackie just takes everything as the new normal. He has a little grin that says, it doesn’t bother me.
DB57E934-EDDE-4A58-A0ED-40270ED3A226.jpeg

Whistle doesn’t like change. The expression tells all.
AFB612FF-6D43-477F-A07D-325673F0AF50.jpeg

Purry is so easy going that he never minds anything.
A5AB6D91-F017-4CF5-82AA-5262E92BF37E.jpeg

All very different personalities but al l tolerating change with very good attitudes! All great kitties who make mom proud.
Heading out now for my camp out with Bzj. Should be interesting if chilling! Have sweet dreams everyone. Snuggle a cat!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JosieQ JosieQ you are making me laugh before bed. Very good for promoting warmth! I want to address your concerns over adoptions. There are some things you need in writing and should I did upon. One thing is that I insist that failed adoptions are required to be returned to me. We don’t want them
Passed off others. Lots of details may make you feel better but honestly I must come back in the morning. My eyes are gone for tonight. My vision problems interfere at times and when I am fighting exhaustion it doesn’t help.
I will come back to your post tomorrow. I swear I will! Don’t knock me off just yet. Lol BJ is waiting so I am off for now but I shall return. Really I will! Really........ heh. Good night all!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
One of the semi-feral girls I brought in remained frozen in the same spot in her crate, yelling her head off for the first couple of days. She's still very vocal, mainly yelling her head off for extra treats and back scratches these days, but she settled in really well.

Those first few days are really tough, but it's worth it. Have you ever tried adding Zylkene to their food?

Zylkene - A Natural Choice for Behavioural Support.

One of my cats goes through periods of stress-grooming, but this always calms her down.

Get some sleep! It won't do anyone any good if you are too stressed out and exhausted.

:sleepycat:

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, something in writing is a good idea! I'll take any more of those you have.

And obviously take your time, I know you have your hands full.

Took this picture just for you:

NixFluff.JPG

Two street urchins (President Richard Milhous Nixon left, Lady Fluffington right) who complained when I first brought them in, and who felt terribly betrayed when I gave them to strangers to have parts of 'em cut open, messed around with, and sewn back up again, and now they're homebodies who never want to leave and can't get enough love.

Lucky for us animals forgive!

(Dunno about crows. Did you know they hold grudges? That article doesn't say whether or not the researchers bothered to try to be forgiven though, will they forgive? WILL SOMEONE TELL ME IF CROWS WILL FORGIVE, WHAT IF I ACCIDENTALLY PISS ONE OFF?!)

(Also further, if you're bored, here are some that show the flip-side of the grudge-holding coin.)

(Man why aren't there any crows around here for me to befriend??)

Anyway, I'm sure BJ'll soon wise up and realize it's much better inside, where you can mess up the kitchen carpet, and shred the paper towels, and screw around on the counter, and beg for goodies...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know you've got your own concerns right now so I'll try to keep my reply short.

I completely get your point about being unable to divide our attention. My three house-cats are already getting far less attention than I want to give them now that these two strays (and the one outside) are getting more. I feel terrible about it and really do want to find them a good home so I can get back to loving up my home-team. (One of whom is right now putting her butt in my face. Yes thank you for the trust, I love you too.)

Of course I have the fear that even if I find a good home for the street-urchins, something unforeseen could happen like someone opens a door, and Nixon runs out, and gets hit by a bus, and for the rest of my life I'll be like "But if I'd just kept him!!"

Also trying to make it clear in my ads and flyers that I want follow-ups with these two when they get adopted, hope the people do that.

I'm putting in too that if it doesn't work out for some reason, they can always give me BACK the cats to re-home myself because obviously I wouldn't want them dumped at a shelter to be euthanized. Would people do that? Or would they feel like they wouldn't want to admit failure or something and just dump them outside or in a shelter anyway?

(Speaking of, anyone got good sites to advertise on? I'm getting on PetFinder but I'll take any other suggestions. I'm also gonna print physical flyers to put up on bulletin boards on the fancy side of town. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some rich people to lavish and spoil these guys.)

This makes me literally want to kill someone. I swear, sometimes I get so enraged and overwhelmed by things I see in the world and online. I read a story once about some people who microwaved a cat, saw a video of crushing, that was like 10 years ago and I still literally dream about it. I think most people let this kind of crap go but it stays with me forever, I mean, I've got problems. Sometimes I think I'm on the verge of going crazy Nietzsche-like when he saw a horse beaten in the street. :disappointed: I really get to thinking sometimes that I should just give up my life to become a vigilante and go out doing outright murder to these inhuman sociopaths. (But then who would take care of my cats? Guess I'll put that off for now...)

Okay no one call the cops on me just yet, I'm okay right now. Like I said before, seeing people like you putting in so much insane effort to help just one cat, it really helps my messed-up broken brain deal with life. I'm sure you get thanks from cats, but here's a thanks from a human. ;)

Really invested in BJ's story too, so even though I know you'll keep us updated, keep us updated! We want that payoff where he's finally realized you haven't betrayed him, but done something for his own good. I'm ready to riot in the street if I don't get that closure!!

No pressure.

Chiming in: You'll find a wealth of links HERE: www.bestfriends.org/resources and HERE: www.alleycat.org

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Singing is such a lovely thing, especially such a heartfelt song as the one you used first, and humming, and of course reading aloud so you don't lose your voice :), --you're the only person I'd suggest that too bless your heart!

On the subject of crow forgiveness, you'd have to talk really sweet, and figure out what its favorite treat is and give it that, and you'd have to be totally honest and sincere about it ;)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again-if I may also chime in as part of a collaborative effort, there's this article. The title indicates it's for kittens but there's no age limit. Also Nextdoor . com can be a good place.

"kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens

When he first got here, my Big PoppyCat yelled his head off at night for two weeks solid. Big cat, big voice :)

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Adding my praises, Prayers and gratitude to everyone else's, for Jcatbird Jcatbird , BJ and the colony!* :yess::yess::yess::goldstar::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:
On that note: Last night I spent the best hour I have ever spent watching television. At 10 pm last night I tuned in to Animal Planet for Cat Daddy Jackson Galaxy's "MY CAT FROM HELL" which I try never to miss, expecting more wonderful vignettes of him trying to talk sense to often moronic people who can't seem to figure out that love, patience, and logic win the day with cats of all stripes.
But this was something totally different.
Jackson was in northwest Philadelphia, with Kitten Lady Hannah Shaw and local love warriors, doing TNR on some of the estimated 400,000 street/stray/feral/community cats in that city of brotherly love. With the amazing assistance of the local chapter of a national low-cost spay/neuter clinic, Emancipet, Tru-Catch humane traps, and Halo pet foods, they enlisted the help of local people who care about cats, whom they trained in TNR, and they went out in some of the worst possible rainy cold weather to catch as many cats as they could. At first they were not getting any in the traps and they were very discouraged, but they persevered, and ultimately they were able to TNR quite a few. They were also pleasantly surprised at how many members of the local community turned up for the training and TNR in such bad weather, quite a few of whom were young kids. Those kids will form the vanguard of the next generation of caring Philly residents to help cats and train the NEXT generation.
And as Jackson said, there tends to be one cat who stands out during a big TNR operation. In this case, that cat is Big Poppa, the patriarch of uncounted numbers of offspring in the largest colony they were working on. Let's just say he is that neighborhood's BJ.
And the finale didn't leave a dry eye here: it was a picture of Jackson hugging his tiny feline muse, Velouria, who ascended this year at 26 years of age.:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::bawling:
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I hope you remember to share www.homelesspetclubs.org. They can be a big help in the cat rescues you and others are facilitating. Power in numbers. God bless you for all your efforts, too.

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

No pressure.

JosieQ JosieQ

You're delightful. And you speak for us all. :) check out www.homelesspetclubs.org. It's a blessing for any community who will access it. :)

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@rubysmama I am glad you are here. If you find this thread worthy of the forum then I am honored to have been able to share the stories of such great cats. BJ has really had me jumping through hoops. Last night was a spine tingler for me! Enraged feral at my back! Don’t move a muscle! Lol I didn’t. He did well by me. Cats are so great. I didn’t get a single scratch. Yet! If I do things right then I probably won’t get a scratch. I just hope I am as smart as the cats. They seem to understand us better than we understand them. I continue to learn even at this late date.
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I just realized that you subtly brought something to light earlier today. BJ makes kitty number 100 brought into my home. There is something about the number that is shocking. 100 poor kitties! How could that many need help in such a small area? Not one other person in this location has pulled in a single cat. Some were lost because I could not work fast enough. I will be ramping up my efforts to help the county shelter. I have raised awareness a bit here but I need to keep working. This was not the first colony I pulled in here but I would like for it to be the last. Thank you for snapping my head to attention. BJ will ever be, “ the poster child” in my mind.
Norachan Norachan That was so great! I read it to BJ. If he didn’t understand it all yet, he will. He is far more feral than I knew. He behaved like such a lamb outside. We were in his element then. Now his behavior tells on him. From lamb to lion but hopefully he will soon return to the lamb. ( or at least a good imitation lol) He may be my new family member. We will see what BJ wants as time goes by.
Jcatbird Jcatbird
The news is out about you. Dump your cats in my yard/area. Sad reality, not for the cats though. :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Thank you for the Zylkene info. I love learning about things like that. I have an emergency chest with things like that for the kitties. I call it my book of knowledge. My book has grown a lot since being on TCS. BJ and all future kitties to be in need thank you too.

JosieQ JosieQ Follow the links provided here by tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Furballsmom Furballsmom and M M Thomas You will find that these folks give great information. Referrals are something I require from anyone wanting to adopt. My favorite one to get is from the vet they use. I ask all about their previous or current pets and the pets medical history. These days we have to get permission from a person to get pet medical history the same as we would for a human. Medical records are protected. If the person will not let me speak with their vet, they don’t get a kitty. If I do speak with the vet I get very detailed information about the care they provided to their fur babies. Shots, Spay/neuter, wellness checks and whether they were good about treating for any illness that came up. I ask about pet lifespan and how any pets passed. If they let their cat run around in the highway and it got hit by a car then I want to know if the cat accidentally got out, was it an in and out cat and will this cat be strictly an indoor cat? Make them sign. For any and every thing. If you ever want to reclaim a cat, you must have it in writing. I require check in texts, photos, emails or calls for the first few months with personal adoptions. I also get their address and , in writing , put them on notice that I can and will drop in to check on the cat. I basically do what a human adoption agency would do. I have rarely had an issues. Only twice. I did drive out of state to reclaim two kittens once but they weren’t physically hurt. They escaped and were lost. They are still here with me. Banjo and Whistle. Just think it all out and get it on paper. You probably won’t need it. My lost kittens were freely returned. It just makes you feel better to know you have safe kitty insurance.
To address the crow thing. Funny you should mention it. I had a chance to work with some wildlife rescues. One was a crow. It was a heal and release. She was amazing, smart and funny. She was learning to talk too! She had to take medicine for a time from an eye dropper. I turned my back and she took the dropper and hid it. She was cared for in South Georgia but did her flight training and final release in North Carolina. The next year she came back with her husband and kids. She did forgive for being taken away. She remembered us and her offspring were willing to trust us. Generations away now, there are still crows coming there that are not as suspicious of humans matching the description of those who cared for the original wounded crow. It still amazes me what we can learn from the creatures around us. We know so little. Corvus is Latin for the crow and I named a black rescue kitten Corvus.
I love the photo and your name choices. names. Because of the excellence of your rescues and choices, I have a photo for you. Check the signature at the bottom.
80888B98-7964-45A8-9F60-F20B3E5F7486.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow is going to be a goodbye day. Three kitties are supposed to go up for adoption. One may be my Lady. I tried to adopt her out previously but she went unadopted. She is highly socialized and even though I have claimed her as family I am facing the fact that some of the cats of this colony will not be socialized enough to be adopted. I must let go of the ones who could be happy elsewhere and keep the ones who cannot adjust. This is going to be a very hard choice for me. I love them all but must do what is in the best interest of each one. Lady would do very well almost anywhere. She loves everyone. Some of the others have more trouble bonding with other people. Mittwo and Jazzy have not found homes yet. Banjo and Whistle have been timid since their return from Florida. Kelly is supposed to go tomorrow. Kodiak will be leaving and I have been given a spot for one more. Lambie would also do well anywhere. Tomorrow will be a hard day no matter who goes. I am dreading having to chose but letting go of every one has been hard. I had hoped to send Thrasher but they have told me they need less tabbies. I have to send those that are ready but I have to work within the shelter restrictions as well. This doesn’t ever get easier.
On a brighter note, need a smile?
What a difference a day or even an hour can make. My update on BJ is that I spent the night with him last night. He still would not eat or drink in spite of the goodies I placed before him. I finally fell asleep. Sometime early this morning I woke up chilled. I moved my foot across the blanket to discover I had been marked. Lol BJ had soaked the blanket. Yuck may be the reaction of most people but I was actually glad to see two things. One was that he had finally urinated and two was that he had been on the bed with me. Marking the blanket was a good sign of him improving. He had finally started to function. After cleaning the area I placed the wet part of the blanket over the edge of his litter box and went back to sleep after praising him. He was back in his corner but did respond with meows. When I got up he was as I had left him. I attended to all the other cats and brought his breakfast. I sat with him about two hours but he would not eat or move. I tried to pet him but he looked st me with that, I am terrified and will bite you, look. I left him in peace for an hour. When I returned he was as I had left him. I tried every trick I have ever used to get him interested in food or me . He would meow or hiss. I offered catnip which got a violent refusal. He acted like I was offering deadly snake. I played music for him. The only good reaction from him came when I sang to him. I had to do chores so I left him again. This routine continued most of the day. Then I heard movement in the room. He was out of his corner but in a very agitated state. He went to the exterior door and cried. I went to him but he ran behind a piece of furniture. I opened the back foot and saw, to my horror, a beautiful black cat hunting for food in my trash can. The cat ranoff when it saw me. Ouch. Another cat. I will be checking with the neighbors. It did fit the description of the missing Baan of a few months ago but any black cat of that age would. Is it Batman? I will put a trap out and if it returns to be caught , and is male, I will contact Batman’s mother. I am hoping it belongs to someone. I only got a quick glimpse. Either way, it drew BJ to the door. I am grateful for that. I hope it is not a female he has already met.
When I returned to the house BJ had withdrawn again. A frozen, stone cat except for meowing and hissing. I began working with him again to no avail.
At supper time I took more treats. Nothing was eaten. He had not taken water or gone to the bathroom again. I was starting to think in terms of sacrificing a fresh blanket tonight. Anything to get him functioning. At one point I went back to him and decided to force the issue of touch to get him to move. I did reach out and touch his back. I expected to be punished but he reacted as though I had poked him with fire. He ran to the windowsill and hid behind the curtains. I followed. I kept talking to him. He gave me a terrible look. I started singing again and reached towards him. He looked as though he might eat me. I took a chance and touched him. Here is what happened.....

I pursued him.
8FA46723-0F7C-4227-B698-7E0E11765395.jpeg

I pulled back the curtains and he looked at me.
2591FA70-5EE1-4D75-83B5-F948389D5BD0.jpeg

Don’t come near me!
FBE8C2EB-8CEB-47A7-9225-D16FDCE974E5.jpeg

Don’t you dare touch me!
281E81FF-099F-4471-B4E3-4824F30A50D3.jpeg

I will eat you human!
913B6E8A-857F-4B92-ADB1-2CD9B13C64CA.jpeg

Ohhh that feels good!
53278A4B-B1B7-4A28-961C-C98D7FFC63CC.jpeg

M maggiedemi Where are you? My next move was straight out of your suggestions. (Thank you) I pulled out a box of Temptations cat treats.
Food?
1F4A1D25-9120-4DDD-BB4D-C8F8734F1FE2.jpeg

What are those treats you have?
3120F7C5-17FF-47B7-A6D8-E1857AB91102.jpeg

He ate!
F905CFBE-92EE-47AC-A120-F18E529992D2.jpeg

A happy cat let me pet him....
89A987DD-255C-488B-9C1D-DECD0C0E0A30.jpeg

Rub him..
D2FADC4C-9A15-412D-A247-5573E4401E10.jpeg

And scratch him like never before....
304856C5-67E8-4458-9636-2E9C93C90BBA.jpeg

Suddenly I had my BJ back!
BE4CA755-424B-4699-852E-EEC0E8EB9109.jpeg

We are still working things out but he has never let me pet him that much before. He purred.
I have not seen him drink yet but he did poop!
Right now he is scratching the window screen. All very good. I am going to give him fresh food and if he won’t eat that, more treats. I hope to pet him some more too. We will see what BJ does next.
Thank you to everyone who has offered support and helpful tips. Goodnight all!
BJ calls.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird --I'm making progress with Maggie & Demi on not scratching people. It just popped into my head, "Positive Reinforcement", which is what I used when babysitting...I praise and compliment them while I'm petting them if they are being good and keep the claws in. It seems to be working! Maybe give it a try with BJ. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.