My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. I had a semi-feral inside who yowled until I brought another cat in. Is BJ calmed by other cats at all?

It's so awful we have to put them through this for their own good. He won't know until later and right now he just thinks you've betrayed him. Terrible. DX But you'll get through it I'm sure.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have escaped the box and both catbird and cat live. No alcohol needed since this morning.
I will backtrack on the story but first I need to address some posts.
JosieQ JosieQ I am in love with your kitties! I understand the difficulty in parting with any cat. I am closing in on saying goodbye to 70+ adoptions and 20 much worse farewells. It never gets easier. The thing is, in order to give a kitty the very best we can, we cannot divide our attention between so many that they don’t get enough. What if one gets sick? The time and expense makes it hard to care for the others. They all need love, playtime, snuggles, health care, toys and food. I started with one cat. I began rescuing a colony 10+ years ago. Sadly, most had Leukemia. I tended the sick, comforted the dying, immunized the healthy, spayed neutered and adopted out those I could. The unadopted remained with me. 10 total and I ended a sick colony. Over the next years I acquired 5 others. 4 belonged to a friend who became permanently ill and disabled. I thought I was babysitting but it became permanent as his health declined. Another was brought to me by an old Tom cat. It was an orphaned kitten that arrived one Christmas night, a gift from the Tom cat. The kitten was having trouble breathing. Asthma. The old cat, Marcus, ( only spoke French) saved it that night. I named the kitten Bonjure. Marcus passed not long after bringing me the baby. Bonjure is now healthy but at the time no one would adopt an asthmatic kitten. He is the baby of the family. I had one other for three years. Missy. She belonged to a friend who lived next door. He had a major stroke on my birthday and I happened to be nearby when his truck ran off the road. He asked me to take his cat. I did. I thought it was permanent but last year he finally recovered enough to take his Missy home. I was heart broken but also very happy for them both. They are very happy to be reunited and doing very well. The story continues as I began to notice cats last year being used for target practice. I thought I was done ending colonies but I could not turn my back. How can I give attention to more cats? I have devoted every moment and every penny to rescuing, Spay/neuter, immunizing, socializing and loving. I have brought in a few at a time as I could catch them. Males, females and kittens. I poured my heart into every single one. Some babies I bottle raised. They are all my babies. The colony was over 100 kitties. Some dumped, some lost, some feral. With all the time I spend getting attached it is earth shattering to let even one go. Yet, I must. They all deserve more attention and time than one person can spread among so many. There are also others waiting in peril that need help. Do I think of my feelings or theirs? Tough call. I choose to put them first. I love them so much I want to give them the very best I can find. I cry at every kitty leaving. Sometimes it’s very hard to get past it. The bottle babies are probably the hardest. But you should know about what happens after I let them go. Over time I have begun to hear the wonderful, happy endings. I get messages, texts, emails and phone calls from people telling me how much they love their cat or how that kitty has impacted their lives in positive ways. Children are growing up with kitty companions that they will never forget. Kittens are providing laughter in houses where it is needed. Kitty and human lives are better because I let them go. If you get a call where you feel your heart fall, try to hold on. Make sure the home is a good one, give the kitty a chance at being loved and the center of attention and stay in touch with the adopting family if possible. I am betting that you will get a call one day telling you how special the kitty you gave away has turned out to be. I just got a call from a woman who was celebrating the birthday of a cat I had raised from a baby. She is giving Shakespeare a wonderful life and he now owns that house. He has a family a dog he walks with in the park and a Mother who thinks he is the most beautiful cat she has ever seen. She spoils him. He was one of the first of the 100 colony that I pulled in. When he left he made room for me to save another. I still have more to let go. I will cry again. I will also celebrate as each kitty finds a furever home. I will hold on to each cat that remains with me and give them all the love and attention they deserve. They are my comfort and lifetime companions. The unadopted need me the most. I hope you find some way to get through things the way I have. I will always offer you comfort and support with what you are doing. I know of others who go through this as well. We support each other and it helps to know we are not alone.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BJ is still frightened but he is speaking to me when I say his name. He must have felt quite endangered to follow me home and come into a building that had just contained three male Bengals. He literally pursued me. This morning he struck me twice when I approached the carrier I use to feed him. He was warning me of something. I had a very difficult day with him. My neighbor tells me she saw someone walking my land and sent her son out to scare them off. I wonder if they really left and if it was the same man I have seen. I don’t know who that person was who confronted me but they put off terrible vibes. BJ tried to hide numerous places tonight before coming to my door but found all wanting. I shall be doing all I can to calm him again. I cannot post more tonight. To those I’ve not replied to, please forgive me. The cats are all disrupted now and need me. I know exhaustion will soon be striking me down. Tomorrow I will start fresh.

Our smile will be that BJ is safe and no cats in the colony have been left behind. The last cat is safe.
Here is our sweet BJ. I hope he will feel this happy and relaxed again very soon.
710C77B1-7B0B-46E5-A6E8-6EAFFA61BE94.jpeg
1B0E0218-E0C4-463D-86F2-C7D8642FD3B9.jpeg
61A44908-7B31-47B5-973D-BC77F8BA9A4B.jpeg
8E070FE0-E763-4E34-866D-BA69C4F96601.jpeg

F3D84A98-F009-4430-AF4F-844965B5ABD3.jpeg

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
BJ is still frightened but he is speaking to me when I say his name. He must have felt quite endangered to follow me home and come into a building that had just contained three male Bengals. He literally pursued me. This morning he struck me twice when I approached the carrier I use to feed him. He was warning me of something. I had a very difficult day with him. My neighbor tells me she saw someone walking my land and sent her son out to scare them off. I wonder if they really left and if it was the same man I have seen. I don’t know who that person was who confronted me but they put off terrible vibes. BJ tried to hide numerous places tonight before coming to my door but found all wanting. I shall be doing all I can to calm him again. I cannot post more tonight. To those I’ve not replied to, please forgive me. The cats are all disrupted now and need me. I know exhaustion will soon be striking me down. Tomorrow I will start fresh.

Our smile will be that BJ is safe and no cats in the colony have been left behind. The last cat is safe.
Here is our sweet BJ. I hope he will feel this happy and relaxed again very soon. View attachment 258237 View attachment 258238View attachment 258239View attachment 258240
View attachment 258241
Thanks for the update, glad neighbors are watching out. Keep firearm handy. Will cops come to scare off trespassers? BJs rolling pics are great, he will calm down soon. Snuggle deep.
images.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
From one former fearful feral tom to another........

"Don't worry my friend, all is well. It may seem scary and loud and full of strange smells and overwhelming now, but no one here will harm you."

Marley6.jpg

"There will be soft beds and warm stoves and love and hugs and pets and plenty of food and sweet little girl cats who want to snuggle with you."
MuMarley3.jpg

"Welcome home BJ. Welcome to the good life."

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone. Your posts are comforting. I hurt for BJ but I hope he will forgive me. He has not eaten nor drunk anything. He is still frozen except for crying when I talk to him. Makes me want to cry too. I am going to tend all the others, try to calm them and then make the bed where BJ is staying. I will be living with him at night for now if the others remain peaceful. Perhaps if I bring in the scent of outdoors it will comfort him. I will use every piece of information I have ever been given to help him. The final feral is the most fearful.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone. Your posts are comforting. I hurt for BJ but I hope he will forgive me. He has not eaten nor drunk anything. He is still frozen except for crying when I talk to him. Makes me want to cry too. I am going to tend all the others, try to calm them and then make the bed where BJ is staying. I will be living with him at night for now if the others remain peaceful. Perhaps if I bring in the scent of outdoors it will comfort him. I will use every piece of information I have ever been given to help him. The final feral is the most fearful.
:grouphug: :vibes::vibes::vibes::catrub::vibes::vibes::vibes::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: :goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::clover::clover::clover:. Hopefully he will recognize the smell of his friends from outside and calm down as he observes you interacting with them. I'm so glad he is safe inside.:fallsmiley: :hangin: :sunshine: :touched:

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird, I am so moved and so overwhelmed by your devotion to your cats and kittens. I am a fairly recent member here, having posted my own questions about bringing in a semi-feral cat, but I am always drawn to your thread and interested in hearing how you all are doing. And I love seeing the photos of your beautiful kitties! Your post earlier today with stories of your past kitties and the recent posts about BJ brought tears to my eyes. I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you are doing, all the love you are giving--you are truly an inspiration.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Adding my praises, Prayers and gratitude to everyone else's, for Jcatbird Jcatbird , BJ and the colony!* :yess::yess::yess::goldstar::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:
On that note: Last night I spent the best hour I have ever spent watching television. At 10 pm last night I tuned in to Animal Planet for Cat Daddy Jackson Galaxy's "MY CAT FROM HELL" which I try never to miss, expecting more wonderful vignettes of him trying to talk sense to often moronic people who can't seem to figure out that love, patience, and logic win the day with cats of all stripes.
But this was something totally different.
Jackson was in northwest Philadelphia, with Kitten Lady Hannah Shaw and local love warriors, doing TNR on some of the estimated 400,000 street/stray/feral/community cats in that city of brotherly love. With the amazing assistance of the local chapter of a national low-cost spay/neuter clinic, Emancipet, Tru-Catch humane traps, and Halo pet foods, they enlisted the help of local people who care about cats, whom they trained in TNR, and they went out in some of the worst possible rainy cold weather to catch as many cats as they could. At first they were not getting any in the traps and they were very discouraged, but they persevered, and ultimately they were able to TNR quite a few. They were also pleasantly surprised at how many members of the local community turned up for the training and TNR in such bad weather, quite a few of whom were young kids. Those kids will form the vanguard of the next generation of caring Philly residents to help cats and train the NEXT generation.
And as Jackson said, there tends to be one cat who stands out during a big TNR operation. In this case, that cat is Big Poppa, the patriarch of uncounted numbers of offspring in the largest colony they were working on. Let's just say he is that neighborhood's BJ.
And the finale didn't leave a dry eye here: it was a picture of Jackson hugging his tiny feline muse, Velouria, who ascended this year at 26 years of age.:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::bawling:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BJ, baby, your photos have been shared by your proud caretaker many times. Hang in there buddy, it'll get better.
Perhaps if I bring in the scent of outdoors it will comfort him.
This is a GREAT idea, plus if you haven't yet -->music<--, and he's talking to you which is a good thing as well.

Hang in there yourself, hon, geez, this is HUGE
:greenpaw::greenpaw: :redheartpump: :bluepaw::bluepaw: :sunshine:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
*Adding my praises, Prayers and gratitude to everyone else's, for Jcatbird Jcatbird , BJ and the colony!* :yess::yess::yess::goldstar::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:
On that note: Last night I spent the best hour I have ever spent watching television. At 10 pm last night I tuned in to Animal Planet for Cat Daddy Jackson Galaxy's "MY CAT FROM HELL" which I try never to miss, expecting more wonderful vignettes of him trying to talk sense to often moronic people who can't seem to figure out that love, patience, and logic win the day with cats of all stripes.
But this was something totally different.
Jackson was in northwest Philadelphia, with Kitten Lady Hannah Shaw and local love warriors, doing TNR on some of the estimated 400,000 street/stray/feral/community cats in that city of brotherly love. With the amazing assistance of the local chapter of a national low-cost spay/neuter clinic, Emancipet, Tru-Catch humane traps, and Halo pet foods, they enlisted the help of local people who care about cats, whom they trained in TNR, and they went out in some of the worst possible rainy cold weather to catch as many cats as they could. At first they were not getting any in the traps and they were very discouraged, but they persevered, and ultimately they were able to TNR quite a few. They were also pleasantly surprised at how many members of the local community turned up for the training and TNR in such bad weather, quite a few of whom were young kids. Those kids will form the vanguard of the next generation of caring Philly residents to help cats and train the NEXT generation.
And as Jackson said, there tends to be one cat who stands out during a big TNR operation. In this case, that cat is Big Poppa, the patriarch of uncounted numbers of offspring in the largest colony they were working on. Let's just say he is that neighborhood's BJ.
And the finale didn't leave a dry eye here: it was a picture of Jackson hugging his tiny feline muse, Velouria, who ascended this year at 26 years of age.:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::bawling:
:bawling2::bawling::clap::clap2::cheerleader:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird --I love the photos of BJ on his back, with all 4 paws in the air! Maggie does that everyday and you would just want to steal her if you saw it, it's so cute...How did you get BJ to come the rest of the way inside? With food?...Things that worked when taming Demi were the long-handled duster, catnip toys, loose catnip on the food, and teaching him lots of words so we could communicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.