My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, like anyone else, I am beside myself with worry. There is a barred owl out there.
Never has Thrasher even made a move towards an open door. Thank you to everyone. Please keep up the hopes and prayers. I am cold, wet and tired but made it back and forth through the swamp and woods as well as some neighboring areas. I am pretty sure she would head for old hiding places if she could. I will continue the search in a few hours. No food has been touched. I spread litter to show paw prints so the if something eats I will be able to tell if it is a cat. Thrasher was the most difficult and time consuming cat to catch. The trauma she had suffered made her very scared. I am assuming she is fearful again so this may take time and patience. I though I would show some pictures of the kinds of places a person should look for a missing cat. Besides inside the culverts that I already showed.
Nearby water sources where other creatures may go to drink.
EDE79124-11E4-45A1-A3F6-1A057526E2CF.jpeg

Under buildings as well as up in rafters.
149573C0-D735-43E9-A0C8-B23C95635135.jpeg

Small clearings that are surrounded by overgrowth to protect from predators above.
D61A3689-3822-4E55-A8AB-CAADC306F834.jpeg

Open paths as well as
67DBC3E6-ED17-4215-A036-8F882445CCE4.jpeg

Low animal paths.
D05AE068-83E4-452A-9E0E-6C3A2F9F4D7B.jpeg

Indentations in straw or leaves mean that something has been testing or sleeping here. In the case, something large so a cat would not stay here.
7EB2C3EB-B6CF-4FDB-AF22-538447883FF9.jpeg

Dark places are usually good but when owls are near, a cat is more likely to go to a lit area with overhead cover or under something where an owl can not get to them by swooping from above.
CF1318C4-A92D-4AF1-B141-87B27B5ABDF7.jpeg

Thorny vines are good for small animals. Larger creatures cannot go here.
0C24D0B6-B0DA-46E3-8E7F-176E3BD3CF70.jpeg

The denser the growth, the better.
5555BA62-2E66-4E9D-8FAC-6F8B3B67A367.jpeg

This is a small animal den.
D1F19711-7EEB-4A75-8522-964EA11EEBC5.jpeg

This looks like a den but it is now flooded.
F797FE09-8475-43FC-8B94-D2870DFA38FE.jpeg

Larger animal trails may be followed as well. This is probably a deer path.
D2BBF368-EA6A-4E9C-8241-6BE718049DC9.jpeg

This goes where I cannot follow. It is narrow and very low overhead growth. Purrfect for a cat.
78B4272E-8C9F-413B-B612-EA3C7A4C967B.jpeg

Best ever for small animals. Too narrow for a large dog but a small one could probably get through. Rabbits, birds and cats could easily get through but it is totally lined with thorns. Topped by them too. This is between two fences and I can only get through in daylight. It is a well traveled path by something!

96A115A0-1A67-4B3F-A98A-458FE45E9BF4.jpeg

Using sand or cat litter can help to identify what creatures are visiting.This is beside an opening under the house. If I have pawprints in the morning, I’ll be able to tell if they are possum, raccoon, cat or other.
3ECF79B1-1E54-4EB9-81D6-EA7D913B8C73.jpeg

I look in rafters and on rooftops as well as up in trees using a bright light to look for reflections from any eyes looking back. No luck though.
Maybe by morning. All I found were stickers, pollen, water and mud. Please don’t worry about me searching the swamp. No human besides me would want to be there.
;)
84ECC40A-3BE9-4A00-89B2-EFB70D5A2009.jpeg

Hoping for a Brown Thrasher waiting for me very soon. She had not had breakfast before leaving. Come on sweet one! Tank you to everyone. Please keep hoping.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, like anyone else, I am beside myself with worry. There is a barred owl out there.
Never has Thrasher even made a move towards an open door. Thank you to everyone. Please keep up the hopes and prayers. I am cold, wet and tired but made it back and forth through the swamp and woods as well as some neighboring areas. I am pretty sure she would head for old hiding places if she could. I will continue the search in a few hours. No food has been touched. I spread litter to show paw prints so the if something eats I will be able to tell if it is a cat. Thrasher was the most difficult and time consuming cat to catch. The trauma she had suffered made her very scared. I am assuming she is fearful again so this may take time and patience. I though I would show some pictures of the kinds of places a person should look for a missing cat. Besides inside the culverts that I already showed.
Nearby water sources where other creatures may go to drink.
View attachment 373994
Under buildings as well as up in rafters.
View attachment 373995
Small clearings that are surrounded by overgrowth to protect from predators above.
View attachment 373996
Open paths as well as
View attachment 373997
Low animal paths.
View attachment 373998
Indentations in straw or leaves mean that something has been testing or sleeping here. In the case, something large so a cat would not stay here.
View attachment 373999
Dark places are usually good but when owls are near, a cat is more likely to go to a lit area with overhead cover or under something where an owl can not get to them by swooping from above.View attachment 374000
Thorny vines are good for small animals. Larger creatures cannot go here.
View attachment 374001
The denser the growth, the better.
View attachment 374002
This is a small animal den.
View attachment 374003
This looks like a den but it is now flooded.
View attachment 374004
Larger animal trails may be followed as well. This is probably a deer path.
View attachment 374005
This goes where I cannot follow. It is narrow and very low overhead growth. Purrfect for a cat.
View attachment 374006
Best ever for small animals. Too narrow for a large dog but a small one could probably get through. Rabbits, birds and cats could easily get through but it is totally lined with thorns. Topped by them too. This is between two fences and I can only get through in daylight. It is a well traveled path by something!

View attachment 374007
Using sand or cat litter can help to identify what creatures are visiting.This is beside an opening under the house. If I have pawprints in the morning, I’ll be able to tell if they are possum, raccoon, cat or other.View attachment 374015
I look in rafters and on rooftops as well as up in trees using a bright light to look for reflections from any eyes looking back. No luck though.
Maybe by morning. All I found were stickers, pollen, water and mud. Please don’t worry about me searching the swamp. No human besides me would want to be there.
;)
View attachment 374016
Hoping for a Brown Thrasher waiting for me very soon. She had not had breakfast before leaving. Come on sweet one! Tank you to everyone. Please keep hoping.
:goodluck::alright::grouphug2::grouphug: :hangin:You bet!πŸ‘ :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::crossfingers::crossfingers:πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ€žπŸ€žπŸ€β€

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny pawprints in the greenhouse! Not sure if the are big enough for Thrasher. I put down a small amount of cat treats and moved the camera. I heard something go through the plastic wall when I entered. Thrasher used to sit on top of the greenhouse for the warmth.
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I thought about the wind. There were some large branches down nearby. Maybe. I also looked at the lock. I still don’t know. My brother happened to call right after I discovered the door but I was in too much of a rush to ask his opinion. Maybe N NY cat man can tell more. There is fresh wood exposed. Also a small piece of the metal plate at the bottom is chipped up. Whatever the case, I put a barrel bolt on and will use that.
69A9A408-30B8-4957-A6EF-2C2AB37E99C7.jpeg
D29E10E9-962B-424D-9A34-EC3ABB9CD9AE.jpeg

0A25364E-748B-40D0-BE3E-ECA3A29FAF96.jpeg
968A208C-A851-4C02-8112-9D289200A423.jpeg

BellaGooch BellaGooch and all others, prayers greatly needed and appreciated. Thrasher is a survivor but should not have to experience anything else that is not good.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny pawprints in the greenhouse! Not sure if the are big enough for Thrasher. I put down a small amount of cat treats and moved the camera. I heard something go through the plastic wall when I entered. Thrasher used to sit on top of the greenhouse for the warmth.
That’s something to be hopeful about!
Thrasher is a survivor but should not have to experience anything else that is not good.
He is definitely a survivor, sweet kitty. Yes, I’m sure we can all agree that we all hope that he comes home safe and sound! πŸ’• :lovecat2: :grouphug2::catlove:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I’ll keep praying. Please stay warm and stay safe. Come home soon, dearest Thrasher! We’re all rooting for you. :redheartpump: :redheartpump: :redheartpump: :hugs::hugs::hugs:
I share Bella Gooch's sentiment. Another sleepless night for me. Darn you insomia! :frustrated: I have been praying. I hope Thrasher turns up soon and you can get some much needed rest. I have been through this and I know how it feels. I know the emotional roller coaster it puts you on. Hang in there and don't allow yourself to be consumed with worry. Hugs, Love and more prayers! :alright: :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your pictures, it looks like someone used a thin pry bar to slip the lock, hence the exposed fresh wood, unless you have experienced the door sticking slightly from the dampness caused by your recent rains. The walk door to our garage is like that, even though it is metal-clad. When the weather is rainy, the door sticks on the strike face, because the framing is wood, and so it swells. If you haven't noticed any such binding, then you had an unannounced visitor.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just speed-scrolled through a bunch of posts, trying to get to the end to see if you'd found Thrasher or not. Hard to read, with tears running down my face, though. Poor baby girl. And poor you. Will be thinking of you all day, and hoping you find her. Sending hugs and positive vibes.πŸ€— πŸ€— πŸ€—

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On closer examination of the third picture, it looks like marks left by a screwdriver. Does that door have a deadbolt? If not, it should have one, preferably one that extends far enough into the door frame that it can't be forced without breaking the door frame itself.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*PRAYERS* continually! for everyone at Chez Catbird! Thrasher should be well hungry by now and knows where the food comes from. Come HOME, Thrasher!!!
People don't realize what chaos "normal life" is now. Of course those photos make me feel all kinds of concern. My safe haven (two different places, years ago) has been breached twice. Thankfully, no one hurt either time, but things taken. When I knew I'd have to move here, I took all precautions I could including rekeying all the locks and putting long deadbolts on doors. I have a steel security door on the front and recommend them highly for everyone. They don't cost a lot and they can save your life and your loved ones' lives. Not long after I moved here, I locked myself out. Used a neighbor's phone to call a locksmith. HE couldn't get in and it was a stressful situation until finally he was able to let me in. So that shows it's a pretty secure place. Now, there are a lot of cameras in the neighborhood, so added security.
May today bring a Thrasher, healthy and hungry, back home!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No luck. I found that part of the food in the trap was eaten. It kind of looks like my blanket that I placed inside the storm door, next to the door she exited may have been slept on. No kitty tracks in the litter. I have placed a new top loader carrier that I had just gotten for her in a place in the greenhouse that is easy to exit if she needs to.
BellaGooch BellaGooch dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Thank you. Prayers and good thoughts may help to bring her home.
rubysmama rubysmama Remember the Gingerbread kitties? It took weeks but they came back. Hoping, hoping, hoping.
N NY cat man The door does not bind. It has a deadbolt. I have a good habit of always flipping the lock on every time I close the door. I added a barrel bolt. Those fresh marks in the wood had me a bit concerned. That chipped piece on the metal too. I have never had four cats go out. No desire from most of them to do do. Lady and Purry maybe but the others were a shock. I’m just so glad that I went to the door to go out when I did. Thank you for the info.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Thank you. I am on guard and looking everywhere for Thrasher. Someone ate from the trap after I came in to get a little sleep. I didn’t leave it set because I was worried about the cold and any possible reaction until I could check it. I’ll keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.