My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom The fur alls wish you and January a Happy Halloween and a Blue Moon!
rubysmama rubysmama Ruby looks beautiful with her Ginger colored Halloween frame! Happy Halloween Ruby and Mom! Happy Blue Moon too!
@dustydiamond1Happy Halloween to you and Gypsy too! BJ is verrry jealous of the Pirate hat and outfit. The hat especially! He says to tell Gypsy that he would be glad to join in with her to go treasure hunting. Aye matey! Bug hunt! The bug was part trick, part treat? Lol
Furballsmom Furballsmom Poppy cat is very wise! BJ says that brown bugs taste the best but no legs! He leaves those for Froggie.
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I have not had very good experiences with breeders myself but I do know that there are many who do care. They are also acting to preserve some special breeds. As long as they love the kitties and give them good care then I do see that there is a good reason to breed specifically. I would hate to think that there would never be another Siamese or Maine Coon out there. Since I was involved in preserving plant species for future generations , I can understand preservation but it must be accompanied by love and everything that goes along with that. I love all breeds but I am a rescuer at heart. I know that people will buy kitties but I want to do something for the lost kitties who need homes and love. They always give unconditional love and what could be better than that? I know that you and I share the desire to help any kitty that crosses outlet door. Thanks go to you for taking on such a battle. Everyone here joins together with you in that and in making our world a better place for us all!. I hope you have a Happy Halloween and get to see a beautiful moon tonight! :thanks::rock:
M maggiedemi I think you are right. Numb helps us to be calm and survive when stress is high. Good observation.
Typo but if there is a Marty Poppins, I need him here! Lol I want to jump into one of those sidewalk drawing with the kitties or laugh until we float to the ceiling! I love to laugh! Ha ha ha ha!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I also loved the magazine back then. There were beautiful cat photographs! I just loved any and all cat info. There are similar charts about figuring out what kittens will look like to be found online. The info from Cat Fancy is still out there. The research of cat genetics continues. I did know that the colors and patterns are all from the original “wild cats” that led to our precious kitties. Prints would have been purrfectly disguised in the high grass and bushes of the wild! All the info is very interesting to me.
“Spit out the drumsticks” :flail:Very well put Hekitty!

N NY cat man We had similar experiences! I did grow up with Siamese though. I can remember as a little kid being under the kitchen table with our grey kitty too. My first Smokie. Every cat in my life after that point was a rescue. I stumbled upon other breeds simply because they needed a home. The Manx I got at age nine was not a breed I knew. I loved her and then found out what a Manx was. I knew she hopped like a bunny and was missing the tail but until I brought her home, I had never heard of a Manx. She had been passed from home to home until she stopped responding to humans. When the person who was trying to help her saw that I had formed a close bond with her, they let me take her. They were good people and recognized that she would be happier in my arms. We were inseparable and she lived a long life as my best friend. It never mattered to me that she was a Manx, nor did I understand that I had an “expensive” cat. She was priceless to me. Later I got the two Persians in sort of the same way. I did know what a Persian was but it wasn’t what made me love them. Most of the cats in my life were “Alley Cats.” Just as precious and just as beautiful!
I remember the Siamese I’m “Lady and the Tramp!” Full of mischief. Disney did a movie called “That darn cat!” It also featured a Siamese. I love them all. They all accepted me as a bit of a mongrel. Lol Aren’t all humans a mixed blend?

pearl99 pearl99 Adorable and I can tell that Beans is enjoying the costume! Bat cat! Lol The photo is really funny. I love it when kitties enjoy dressing up. Some of mine enjoy it and some don’t. Lady, Purry and BJ seem to enjoy it the most. I am going to see what Prints thinks about it. I have a feeling that he may not enjoy it although he has tolerated a harness without objecting. Mackie likes a little bit of dressing up too if he is in the mood. He likes anything that can be a good joke. ;)
white shadow white shadow Happy Halloween! Time for some magic? Mackie provides !:kitty:

A gentleman?
96A369E5-97D5-4E8C-9FB3-B9E90B8429B7.jpeg

Always but it’s Halloween! Soooo, laughing cat has to play a trick.
60F7805E-4B8D-4EE7-8927-84BB7499C1F4.jpeg

A proper gentleman vampire!
AABEA77D-4AD0-4A78-B498-1BB94FA82CF6.jpeg

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man
I remember the Siamese I’m “Lady and the Tramp!” Full of mischief. Disney did a movie called “That darn cat!” It also featured a Siamese. I love them all. They all accepted me as a bit of a mongrel. Lol Aren’t all humans a mixed blend?

pearl99 pearl99 Adorable and I can tell that Beans is enjoying the costume! Bat cat! Mackie likes a little bit of dressing up too if he is in the mood. He likes anything that can be a good joke. ;)
white shadow white shadow Happy Halloween! Time for some magic? Mackie provides !:kitty:

A gentleman?
Always but it’s Halloween! Soooo, laughing cat has to play a trick.
A proper gentleman vampire!
Oh Siamese, before I had Gracie I didn't know what I was missing. Her "talking" is just a day brightener. The vet just giggled through the whole visit a few weeks ago because she talked through the entire exam and visit.
i call Beans "BatBeans" now.
Aaack! Vampire!! :help:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a very wild cat Halloween party here! I got so many pictures that it will take awhile to post the whole thing. I am hoping to get to the story of how “Prints became a Prince and was Rescued by a Princess and a Frog” but it may be tomorrow night since it is so late now. I did want to post a little about tonight though. Fun was had by all! Some tricks and some treats. I have the tests and the cats did the tricks. Lol The magic tricks were amazing! For now, costume time!

I started by trying to give Banjo a bow! I know she doesn’t like to dress up like Lady but maybe one little girly touch? Awwww!
499B973D-9F3A-4BB9-8745-17936A95C123.jpeg

No!
50215866-610D-47E7-AA9E-E673EB221267.jpeg

I will destroy the bow!
DAF5DAE2-ABC9-49B4-B907-ADFB94FF18F1.jpeg

Banjo? What did you do with the bow?
A6BBEA90-4184-4FEE-8B20-7193E0D5B51F.jpeg

I destroyed it! I want wings like I found at Easter!
4349F041-0967-481F-9B04-FD88DBDCB77E.jpeg

Yeah! Now I can fly with my Fairy Catmother!
6C82B2F1-8452-4A07-A3E4-2C479F83F8AA.jpeg

Smokey! You found the bow!
Yes and I’ll wear it to supper. Treats?
7B94ADD0-42CA-447B-96B1-1CC7AA9D5081.jpeg

Treats it is!
1D1C5BA3-AE79-4E61-96F6-1B7EA54BD6DF.jpeg

How about a bow tie for a dashing BJ?
3265B8B1-60D9-434D-9D97-5D3D491F4694.jpeg

I am dashing. Will the girls think I look handsome?
8DA77DD6-A45B-4229-8540-DB316B347C6F.jpeg

Awww Mom! You remembered that I like hats! B
BCD762DE-1A52-4DF1-B19D-1BC67F1199A5.jpeg

I gotta day though, this bow seems kind of girly.
B838FC2A-8A69-4E15-A5AD-EF7833162B08.jpeg

Smells girly too. I won’t wear the hat with a girls bow on!
09CC2D4D-A99F-4B4C-AF09-C7FB20777949.jpeg

Well, Misty likes the hat but it’s too big for her.
BBD0D0D1-0CE3-4578-B30B-C8ED09DCE478.jpeg

Thrasher likes it too. I think the girls would love to see you wearing the hat.
F7EF7D9B-C07B-4112-B542-BBBA7064BFA1.jpeg

It does suit me.
6A8E75ED-893F-40B3-A5F6-B7D4EBC8793E.jpeg

Top hat for a top cat?
B3D1177B-310B-4970-BF1F-117CC3A6FB88.jpeg

You’re trying to convince me while I still wear a bow?
36F975EA-4EDA-4F98-92EB-4CF45301F6F1.jpeg

Misty, want to try wings? No? Okay.
C8D5B52E-540A-49C2-8CBC-924D8F27FAE3.jpeg

Sure you don’t want the hat BJ?
3FCCCF50-626E-4E88-842F-767CAC5DA9E9.jpeg

Well..... you did get me my favorite thing.
E972F4B4-2F50-4FEC-8539-FF60AE093170.jpeg

Okay. I admit it.Bow or no bow, I want the hat.
B93066F8-7107-4E55-A4A6-7C8FF913003E.jpeg

It’s a magic hat too BJ. Lol More coming later! I hope everyone had a great night. Party on kitties! Treats for everyone!
5D72B6F5-78A4-4E66-8189-29D7D7EAB416.jpeg

Treats! I smell shrimp!
009FD457-C73E-410C-8DBC-FB75E19AF243.jpeg

12575D77-4BD4-4656-A10C-617A4BE44CB5.jpeg
F372014F-453E-464B-B9EF-8CB64A3AF61E.jpeg
B1BFDE8F-274F-4F42-BFFE-59AB367F84BB.jpeg

Happy cats=purrfect party.

Must destroy bow....

Attachments

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom The fur alls wish you and January a Happy Halloween and a Blue Moon!
rubysmama rubysmama Ruby looks beautiful with her Ginger colored Halloween frame! Happy Halloween Ruby and Mom! Happy Blue Moon too!
@dustydiamond1Happy Halloween to you and Gypsy too! BJ is verrry jealous of the Pirate hat and outfit. The hat especially! He says to tell Gypsy that he would be glad to join in with her to go treasure hunting. Aye matey! Bug hunt! The bug was part trick, part treat? Lol
Furballsmom Furballsmom Poppy cat is very wise! BJ says that brown bugs taste the best but no legs! He leaves those for Froggie.
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I have not had very good experiences with breeders myself but I do know that there are many who do care. They are also acting to preserve some special breeds. As long as they love the kitties and give them good care then I do see that there is a good reason to breed specifically. I would hate to think that there would never be another Siamese or Maine Coon out there. Since I was involved in preserving plant species for future generations , I can understand preservation but it must be accompanied by love and everything that goes along with that. I love all breeds but I am a rescuer at heart. I know that people will buy kitties but I want to do something for the lost kitties who need homes and love. They always give unconditional love and what could be better than that? I know that you and I share the desire to help any kitty that crosses outlet door. Thanks go to you for taking on such a battle. Everyone here joins together with you in that and in making our world a better place for us all!. I hope you have a Happy Halloween and get to see a beautiful moon tonight! :thanks::rock:
M maggiedemi I think you are right. Numb helps us to be calm and survive when stress is high. Good observation.
Typo but if there is a Marty Poppins, I need him here! Lol I want to jump into one of those sidewalk drawing with the kitties or laugh until we float to the ceiling! I love to laugh! Ha ha ha ha!
Sorry for my rant yesterday, as I was typing I remembered all the cats and dogs in my former neighborhood that were kicked to the curb because the were not young any more. My gripe isn't solely directed at breeders, I know there are good and bad breeders. It is the person who ignores all the homeless cats and kittens and has to pay $$$ for a purebred or designer cat as if they are superior to all others. All these people do is brag about cats and try to draw attention to themselves. I know one such person that owned a Maine Coon and a Norweigan Forest Cat (gorgeous kitties) that she had eyes only for them. There was a stray cat who had kittens near her house and she treated them like vermin and had them trapped and taking to Animal Control giving no thought to their fate. Luckily, a neighbor who has a huge heart for cats found out what she did and saved those kitties. He kept the Momma who was friendly and found homes for the kittens. He is a hero in my book. I would love to own a M.C. or N.F.C., but I am happy for any cat who walks in my life. People like that neighbor makes me sick. I have nothing against owning purebred cats, but to have no heart for cats in need troubles me. How can she love her cats, but have no love for that Momma and her kittens? It just boggles my mind.😟

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for my rant yesterday, as I was typing I remembered all the cats and dogs in my former neighborhood that were kicked to the curb because the were not young any more. My gripe isn't solely directed at breeders, I know there are good and bad breeders. It is the person who ignores all the homeless cats and kittens and has to pay $$$ for a purebred or designer cat as if they are superior to all others. All these people do is brag about cats and try to draw attention to themselves. I know one such person that owned a Maine Coon and a Norweigan Forest Cat (gorgeous kitties) that she had eyes only for them. There was a stray cat who had kittens near her house and she treated them like vermin and had them trapped and taking to Animal Control giving no thought to their fate. Luckily, a neighbor who has a huge heart for cats found out what she did and saved those kitties. He kept the Momma who was friendly and found homes for the kittens. He is a hero in my book. I would love to own a M.C. or N.F.C., but I am happy for any cat who walks in my life. People like that neighbor makes me sick. I have nothing against owning purebred cats, but to have no heart for cats in need troubles me. How can she love her cats, but have no love for that Momma and her kittens? It just boggles my mind.😟
Snob appeal.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Oh my. I totally understood your post and also agree. People who want animals for the wrong reasons make me boil! I would show you one of my rants but my phone would melt. ;):cloudy:
Breeding for specific breeds has a place but the problem is that there are too many homeless already and anyone dumping ANY breed causes more problems that people like us can’t tolerate and must address. We carry their weight. :alright: I do know and feel it too. One breed that often ends up in shelters here is the Savannah or Bengal cat. Snowshoe and Siamese too. They have strong purrsonalities and when people get them they do so for looks. Then the find out they bought more than they knew. The cats pay the real price. I still can’t understand how breeding wild cats was allowed to get “approved” as a breed. Don’t get me wrong. I love my Bengal boys but that original cross was done out of a curiosity and as more were born, the exotic look brought attention. Beautiful but many have been abandoned. How were the first wild cats ( Bengal and Savannah ancestors) brought into homes anyway? It all comes back to one thing. Irresponsible humans. Dumping, no Spay and Neuter, Escaped imported wild cats, neglect etc. gives all ferals a bad rap. I read something by a well know author today. He was bashing ferals. Endorsing wiping them out! He sees them as the problem when, in truth, it’s humans being irresponsible. He denounced TNR as useless and people who criticized him as Kat Krazies. However, his attempt to keep TNR out, failed. Alley Cat Allies is one group mentioned as having been instrumental in getting him temporarily fired from the magazine he was writing for at the time. He was reinstated after an apology and a IMHO very lame claim that he was misunderstood when he explained a way to euthanize ferals. His apology explained that he meant for that method to be used by animal control offices or DNR reps.
Rant! Rant! Rant! My phone is getting hot and so am I! He does not write for that magazine now. Two big “Nature” related organizations were called out in the article. Sadly, I used to enjoy their publications. They will never get my support again. I’m sure that the organizations started with good intentions but they failed horribly on the facts about TNR. They also failed to put the responsibility where it belongs. On the humans that failed the cats. If they put as much effort into fact finding and solving the problem as they did about reporting it, we would not have a problem. Okay. My rant is over. Lol
Thank goodness for us rant ravers and for the humans like your hero who saved that mom and babies.
EVERY LIFE IS IMPORTANT!

N NY cat man Snob appeal! Yuck.

Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank goodness for heros!

BellaGooch BellaGooch I’m glad you liked the bow! Lol BJ looked handsome and Smokey looked beautiful. Banjo.... :flail:did what Banjo wanted to do.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Jcatbird Jcatbird I wasn't going to reply, but I had to because reading those stories just makes my blood boil!!! :fuming: I cannot comprehend how people can be so utterly heartless and cruel, it absolutely. I've heard far too many horrible, heart-breaking stories about people being so absolutely cruel. Agree, thank the Lord that not everybody is like that.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I agree with you guys, especially those that say it's just an animal. They are meant to be loved and cared for and not a throw rug. They can't clean themselves if they make a mess or have to be fed when there is no food for them. They are after all a living creature that have feelings and emotions and know how to love. It's not a plant or a tree. Though they are a lower life form but they are living animals that hoomans take them in as pets.

I just pity the animals that are taken in not by animal lovers and they abuse them. These people are not fut to own animals as pets. They should just buy battery operated ones.
Someone told me that if he see a cat walk past him and he'll kick it and my reply to him is don't let me see you do that or else I'll kick you back on the cat's behalf and then report you to the authorities.
Some time ago, I saw these two young boys spraying water on a cat and having fun. I walked up to them and told them to stop and said to them, will you like it if I spray water on you? Then I whipped out my phone and took a picture of them doing it and they saw me do that and they scrambled.

But it's hard to get the message across to these people as I've met many and tried telling them and it does not get through their thick skull.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely think there's a place for purebred cats because being able to improve a breed and its special characteristics is really cool. When I went to the cat convention for my birthday a couple years back I was able to see and touch a sphynx and a lykoi, and it was awesome.

That said, I would first go back to the TNR I got Lelia from for another cat of my own if I were in the market for another one (right now our two spoiled girls are enough for us to handle!) and would liely only adopt a purebred for myself if it was the only option.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Oh my. I totally understood your post and also agree. People who want animals for the wrong reasons make me boil! I would show you one of my rants but my phone would melt. ;):cloudy:
Breeding for specific breeds has a place but the problem is that there are too many homeless already and anyone dumping ANY breed causes more problems that people like us can’t tolerate and must address. We carry their weight. :alright: I do know and feel it too. One breed that often ends up in shelters here is the Savannah or Bengal cat. Snowshoe and Siamese too. They have strong purrsonalities and when people get them they do so for looks. Then the find out they bought more than they knew. The cats pay the real price. I still can’t understand how breeding wild cats was allowed to get “approved” as a breed. Don’t get me wrong. I love my Bengal boys but that original cross was done out of a curiosity and as more were born, the exotic look brought attention. Beautiful but many have been abandoned. How were the first wild cats ( Bengal and Savannah ancestors) brought into homes anyway? It all comes back to one thing. Irresponsible humans. Dumping, no Spay and Neuter, Escaped imported wild cats, neglect etc. gives all ferals a bad rap. I read something by a well know author today. He was bashing ferals. Endorsing wiping them out! He sees them as the problem when, in truth, it’s humans being irresponsible. He denounced TNR as useless and people who criticized him as Kat Krazies. However, his attempt to keep TNR out, failed. Alley Cat Allies is one group mentioned as having been instrumental in getting him temporarily fired from the magazine he was writing for at the time. He was reinstated after an apology and a IMHO very lame claim that he was misunderstood when he explained a way to euthanize ferals. His apology explained that he meant for that method to be used by animal control offices or DNR reps.
Rant! Rant! Rant! My phone is getting hot and so am I! He does not write for that magazine now. Two big “Nature” related organizations were called out in the article. Sadly, I used to enjoy their publications. They will never get my support again. I’m sure that the organizations started with good intentions but they failed horribly on the facts about TNR. They also failed to put the responsibility where it belongs. On the humans that failed the cats. If they put as much effort into fact finding and solving the problem as they did about reporting it, we would not have a problem. Okay. My rant is over. Lol
Thank goodness for us rant ravers and for the humans like your hero who saved that mom and babies.
EVERY LIFE IS IMPORTANT!

BellaGooch BellaGooch I’m glad you liked the bow! Lol BJ looked handsome and Smokey looked beautiful. Banjo.... :flail:did what Banjo wanted to do.
EVERY LIFE IS IMPORTANT!

:compsurfing::storm::argh::fuming::fireblob:
Rant away, my blood was boiling the last few replies I sent you. Can you tell by the emoticons I just shared? I wanted to keep it light and polite, but as i was typing it was like I got hit by lightening and the anger kicked. I am surprised I didn't melt my phone.😂 Lol. Yes, people just amaze me with their selfishness and lack of regard for the welfare of animals. One of the exotic breeds you mentioned, the Savannah (offspring of a Serval with a domestic cat) can sell for up to $20,000.😯
That's F1's, each generation after that gets a bit cheaper. I guess a normal domestic cat wasn't exciting enough to these people. Maybe they want to own a big cat, but feel it is safer this way-idk. To hear that Savannahs and Bengals end up in the shelters in your area says it all. These people had no idea what they are getting into and the wild nature of these cats was too much for them. Creating these hybrids is not only irresponsible, but greedy. The breeders are raking in the dough. That's for sure. Another thing I despise is over- breeding of a specific breed and this is not just in the cat world. My friend's dog has been getting Chemo for the last 6 months. The poor dog is 7 years old and one of the sweetest dogs around. His breed, the Golden Retriever, has been so over breed over the years that they got the nickname "The Cancer Dog". This is heartbreaking.😥

There are quite a number of people like that man that have the painfully stupid notion in their heads that feral cats are vermin to be eradicated. I can name one well-funded animal advocacy group who believes this and is always speaking against TNR. Even worse their is one country that is hunting down ferals because they believe that these cats are an danger to their eco system. Feral cats need our voices because their are those who not only hate them, but see them as vermin to be wiped out. These people are NOT for humane solutions like TNR because they are for the eradication of these cats. They constantly use the excuse that the cats kill way too many small animals,that some species are on the verge of extinction. Species have been brought back from the brink of extinction. We are capable of coming up with a solution that doesn't involve destroying the cats. Why should the cats be vilified when they are the outcome of human failure? The lack of compassion coupled with any sense of responsibility completely astounds me.

I so wish we lived in a better world. I will end this here. I must of broke the keyboard on my phone because I can barely type any more. lol Well you and the kitties have a good night. I love their Halloween pics--very cute. Keep us up to date with the new adventures of Banjo and Froggie. I love to hear about it. 😉

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you guys, especially those that say it's just an animal. They are meant to be loved and cared for and not a throw rug. They can't clean themselves if they make a mess or have to be fed when there is no food for them. They are after all a living creature that have feelings and emotions and know how to love. It's not a plant or a tree. Though they are a lower life form but they are living animals that hoomans take them in as pets.

I just pity the animals that are taken in not by animal lovers and they abuse them. These people are not fut to own animals as pets. They should just buy battery operated ones.
Someone told me that if he see a cat walk past him and he'll kick it and my reply to him is don't let me see you do that or else I'll kick you back on the cat's behalf and then report you to the authorities.
Some time ago, I saw these two young boys spraying water on a cat and having fun. I walked up to them and told them to stop and said to them, will you like it if I spray water on you? Then I whipped out my phone and took a picture of them doing it and they saw me do that and they scrambled.

But it's hard to get the message across to these people as I've met many and tried telling them and it does not get through their thick skull.
I just cannot take animal cruelty, I have had a strong love of all animals since as long as I can remember. I remember when I was a six year old girl, I seen a couple boys a little bit older than me pick up this friendly cat who was a fixture in the neighborhood and throw her into Rose bushes.:fuming: Well, I just lost it and as the kitty made a quick exit out of the bushes. I pushed each boy into the rose bushes and wouldn't you know they started crying. I think I screamed at them and called them a bunch of meanies who deserve what they got. I got in a lot of trouble for that as their parents went screaming to my mother and she in turned punished me--but it was so worth it to see those little jerks cry. They were afraid of me ever since. I don't condone volience, but it just shown as a little girl I was passionate about animals and had no tolerance for animal abuse. Oh, and the kitty was okay. It was a shame that happened to her. :catlove:

Status
Not open for further replies.