My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom Thank you for extra hisses. I think it’s working in this area! The storm is still coming but it’s skirting the coast line. We have some wind for the first time in a very long time and it feels great but that may be kitty breath! ;) Lots of kitties hissing to help. I guess those are hurricane hisses! Keep hissing kitties!
If I were a storm, all those hisses would scare me!

Banjo is such a drama cat!

Oooo! Hold me! I may pass out. I can’t possibly hiss anymore......
1167637E-55C3-49F8-B616-BAA0E5B26F18.jpeg

I think I am hyperhissalating.
7DF25564-D1BF-4C34-9F69-7DE6E37737DB.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama So far so good! Thanks and I’m sure we’ll be okay. Apparently cat hisses work well against storms. Lol I think the breeze smells sort of like tuna!

N NY cat man The ark! Being reminded we can all be safely floating along in a boat has a certain CAThARKtic effect. :thud:

:flail:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi Callie did do a face plant in the catnip! :lol: I have a surprise coming up later in the year for her too!

Lari Lari I agree! She will enjoy all aspects of having that smartphone. Taking pictures can be lots of fun and that photo is beautiful.

We have catnip in the garden this year!
273F66BD-C440-41CC-A851-56089F9D3FB4.jpeg
65B95AC2-E56C-4BB6-B27A-749C1CD7C920.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess we are ready for the storm.

We can fish for cat food.
I think I should try to get something for me to eat. I wonder if the banana tree will fit in the boat? Lol
698F2171-E241-4317-BA5F-8D4041CE4B3F.jpeg

I don’t think I will take the pineapple. Too many thorns in this one! Lol
B72AAE78-8FFF-41A8-8486-718AE7F9773B.jpeg

The kitties seem ready. Kodiak is already packed!
99A125A7-47D9-44C0-8455-C162F1521BB6.jpeg

Lady is on her floatation device.
19321799-C4D3-481F-AC3F-321051ECC6B6.jpeg

Whistle?
I need to find Froggie? Okay. Maybe he is over in the orchids again.
EEBC11B6-2FDD-4788-926C-3820685959E8.jpeg

Spoiler alert! Related to Froggie but not green. Lol (not a bug or a snake!)

I see that Toadie has already found high ground up in an orchid pot. I guess we will have a full crew on the ark!
B3A8292C-167B-4B48-B0AB-FE9E5531BF6A.jpeg

Just to relieve everyone’s mind, Froggie and friends are on the back door. All eight of them!

Hopefully, I will have a signal tomorrow and we’ll all be back to give a report from the good ship lolli hop. :paperbag:

To everyone in the path of the storm, we send our thoughts, love and good vibes.:vibes::redheartpump: Stay safe.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I certainly hope that Mr. Toad isn't in for a Wild Ride! The rain has started here. I had to make a mad dash for the back door, but I got the bowls in before the food got soaked. Most of it was gone, already, so if I can't feed in the morning, the outsiders got a good supper! We're expecting 40 MPH winds here, so I did bring in the lightweight furniture that might blow, and made sure that the Secret Feral Shelter is clean and in order in case someone is looking for a port in the storm!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama That toad was perfectly content to allow a photo shoot. I guess he heard from Froggie that we welcome new friends. Lol The orchid plants seem to attract them.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I hope the storm isn’t rough there. I expect the cats there are also hissing it away. I’m glad the kitties knew to go ahead and eat early. The secret shelter will keep them all dry and cozy if it’s needed.
I haven’t seen the toad today. There are better shelters near the orchids for him. I put a clay pot out for him to enter if he needed it. It’s under a heavy bench so it’s very secure but high enough for safety.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay safe anyone in the storm path! I remember being in hurricane Carla in about 1962 when living in Houston as a kid.
Speaking of toads- in that house in Houston we had a toad colony in a space between sidewalk and foundation and every night at dusk gazillions of toads would come out. I used to catch a couple, keep them in a big box with dirt, grass, rocks and feed them June bugs. I'd keep them for a couple of days then let them go. It was sooo much fun!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First paragraph reposted from "What's On Your Mind"

"HOLY OH MY GOODNESS! POUNDING RAIN! Danielle, a neighbor, called to tell me she was moving her car in front of my apartment, which is about 18" higher than her's is, in case of minor flooding. When she brought it, we heard a cat in obvious distress right in front. We got the flashlight, and waded out into the rain. There, under the bushes, was Scooter, soaking wet, all hunkered down. Now, Scooter is NOT a cat that I've been able to handle, but I scruffed him, and pulled him out, and he snuggled into my arms. He's gone home with Danielle, who doesn't have a Hekitty at home, and I sent a baggie full of enough food for tonight and tomorrow. She'll let him back out when the storm has passed, but BOY was that little one happy to be held in someone's arms!"

We did try to install him in the SFS, but Austin was already there with Dulcie, and neither were happy about a new roommate. I wonder if Scooter will be easier to handle after this?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had rain off and in today. In between showers I went out to check on things. I saw our buzzard friend way up in an old pine. She goes there a lot. She had wings spread to dry out a bit. She watched as I went to take the trash out so I took her the leftover cat food. I doubt she could do much to search for food today. I didn’t see any of her siblings. I guess they sheltered elsewhere.
It rained hardest here just a little while ago. There was a lot of lightning. The wind was stiff but cool and the temperature was really nice compared to the past weeks. There was a small amount of hail but it wasn’t bad at all and passed within a minute or two. We are early in the hurricane season but if future storms are like this one, it won’t be bad here. I hope it is as mild elsewhere. The kitties did an excellent job of hissing the storm away.

So, what do you do to occupy a Clowder after a Cloudy day? One picture is worth a thousand cat words! Lol

For Banjo, there is only one thing needed.
I am worried about Froggie. Can you on the outside light?
4B4BD392-9845-479F-AAD4-2F1C603AC35F.jpeg

Well, it looks like Froggie is fine as frogs hair! He has invited his entire family to join him in his safe shelter. I count nine frogs! :kitty:
FEF8F038-54BE-4B93-97FE-6B4858C9A4F5.jpeg

For the other kitties, a very wide ribbon in front of a fan works well.
The first one to notice it wiggle is Whistle.

60E64DA6-9E0E-47F9-A5F6-9EAAA693CC97.jpeg

What creature is this?
C8EFB84F-73C0-4C8B-93C2-8A7AC9CD4540.jpeg

If you guys trust me, I suggest we play with the ball!
07ED13FC-C209-4971-9C97-3F4D9E4A1F5F.jpeg

Eldest cat takes the lead. If anyone can conquer a ribbon monster, it’s Dolly.
EFACBF09-57E7-4762-A272-DEFF5BB71F20.jpeg

Aaaaaaaaaaaa!
F033FD3D-161E-420C-9C3E-F9FE52B24074.jpeg

Run everybody! It’s got Dolly!
D64335FE-AC74-4BDC-9458-55B1CED4DEA6.jpeg

Ha! And they say I’m a drama cat!
A459E4F0-BBE3-4D2E-8985-0D9A3CFD69A6.jpeg

It all ended well. The ribbon monster did not eat Dolly and Precious jumped in with the other kitties to help defend him. The Clowder was banded together by a giant ribbon.

Always a smart girl, Banjo curled up with a good book. ;)

Have a safe night everyone! :heartshape:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Oh my! Poor Scooter! Also, good for Scooter! I have experienced something a bit similar when we had snow. I had nearly all the ferals outside then and even though some just retreated to their heated shelters, a couple also played in the snow, Callie and some others decided that inside and humans might be acceptable.

Although this kitty looks like Smokey, it’s actually Duster.
E1CCA23B-3750-4EC9-8E20-53D236AA4399.jpeg

Duster played in the snow the first day. Well equipped with fluff and furry paws made a difference.
E33524AC-CD71-4C46-A7CC-0D1E97072A88.jpeg

On the other hand/paw, Callie allowed me to approach. I’m pretty sure that this is what she was saying...

What is this stuff? Purrlease, take me inside! My feet are cold and I can’t wiggle my tail anymore!
F22C2277-CEA0-4471-A4BF-88E207954566.jpeg

Callie allowed me to walk over and pick her up. She didn’t even try to get away. I had never been allowed anywhere near her before this day. I brought in several ferals over the next few days, including Duster, just by reaching out and picking them up. Some remained unsocialized until I had worked with them but Callie accepted contact from this day on. So much for ferals being untouchable. It was snow amazing. Although I had already brought in some of the ferals, this was the beginning of the great feral migration.

To the right is one of the feral shelters. It was actually quite warm inside but when you have to dig in snow for a litter box.....
4AA30603-835E-4ED0-A0F6-58669F3887F1.jpeg

I am so glad Scooter decided that a human is safe. Credit to you as his human guardian! :hugs:

pearl99 pearl99 That is a toadally neat story! I would have loved a giant toad family.

tabbytom tabbytom I think the office of CEO is filled. I’m just not sure which Cat Executive Officer to answer to at any given moment. :runaround:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Definitely. Perhaps all my hopping around is what keeps the frogs laughing? We seem to have an extensive frog audience these days. 🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸
When a hooman dances like a frog and meows like a cat, it sure will draw a froggy audience............................. :lol:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a hooman dances like a frog and meows like a cat, it sure will draw a froggy audience............................. :lol:
That makes for a very amusing mental image! Hooman hopping, meowing and encircled by cats , encircled by frogs?!?!? :oops:
Thank goodness the neighbors can’t see! :flail:Or can they?:running:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just got a message from my sister, formerly of N.C. Her and hubby have had enough of hurricanes and moved to Washington state. Wildfires and earthquakes? Maybe. Volcanos? Possibly- but no hurricanes. Funny thing, though- in all the years they lived in Ocala, they never had a hurricane or tornado, but 3 of them in N.C.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Scooter spent the night there, then politely requested to go back outside around 8 AM. He went out, but stayed nearby. Friends of Danielle came to visit, a couple, and he demanded to come in again, and made himself at home in their laps. They left WITH SCOOTER, headed to my vet (Danielle recommended them) for check-up, shots and neutering. His name will remain Scooter. It really is an ill wind that blows no good at all! I am just amazed at how quickly Scooter decided that humans and HOME are wonderful things, to be deeply desired! But now he has one!

We did lose power once...but it took longer for the modem to reboot than the outage lasted!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Scooter spent the night there, then politely requested to go back outside around 8 AM. He went out, but stayed nearby. Friends of Danielle came to visit, a couple, and he demanded to come in again, and made himself at home in their laps. They left WITH SCOOTER, headed to my vet (Danielle recommended them) for check-up, shots and neutering. His name will remain Scooter. It really is an ill wind that blows no good at all! I am just amazed at how quickly Scooter decided that humans and HOME are wonderful things, to be deeply desired! But now he has one!

We did lose power once...but it took longer for the modem to reboot than the outage lasted!
This story just made my night! Scooter's happily ever after! I hope you're able to get updates and pictures from the new family, you know that would just thrill us senseless! :catlove:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man O can understand being tired after three hurricanes! Moving back to Ocala probably just seemed like a future risk for hurricanes. That was quite a move though! Let’s hope they don’t have to face anything else from Mother Nature! I have a friend in Washington State who moved from Sarasota Florida. His first Winter there was a big change but he loves it there. I hope your sister and brother in law will find it just as pleasant as he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.