My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird , the kitties are doing well. I had family visiting all last week from Oklahoma and California (4 of them) so it was a busy week for my cats. They (the cats that is) all are scared of strangers so they stayed mostly hidden till about the 4th day.
The family visiting are all major cat people, had 5 at one time in their house (a feral that had kittens in their yard and they adopted the feral mama and 2 of the kittens and adopted out the other kittens to friends.) Plus another cat adopted them, and they had already had their own cat.

So the intros paused last week. We are back to it now. Ziggy is able to be out with the others longer and longer before getting to the staredown and desire to chase part (I don't believe she is playing, I think energy/tension builds.) But I can play with her and she will lay down and snooze when out now. Waffles now comes into the kitchen when Ziggy is out and they can see each other. No fights.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, some pictures from the past. First is Hale-Bopp from 1997; the others are of an annular solar eclipse, but I don't remember the year- sometime in the early 90s.View attachment 343900View attachment 343901View attachment 343902Enjoy
EDIT: I looked it up, and the eclipse was on May 10, 1994.

:bunnydance::woo:Enjoying! Wow! You did a great job getting those pictures! Solar eclipse shots aren’t easy. Somewhere, if I can find them, I have some old lunar eclipse shots. Very fun to photograph. I can remember the first time I tried that. Lol I did get a tripod and learned about long exposures, keeping the camera perfectly still and got some better shots the next time. Those were the days!
Those photos you took are ones I would print up in large format and frame! Beautiful!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 Ziggy is making great progress! If there were no setbacks when you had company, that’s pretty amazing! I’m sure it helped that they understand cat behavior. The company I just had had absolutely no experience with cats and due to allergies, she was able to be inside with all here but did not pet anyone. I’m sure that had something to do with Dolly yelling and BJ’s cattitude! A human in their house who doesn’t talk to them or show :worship:. They were probably shocked! Bonjure even showed off his fluffy tail but...... no pets.:lol: It must be torture to be around such fluff and not be able to touch!

Waffles is out during Ziggy time and no fights? I think that having you do play time and work off the tension must really help. It does take time to blend in another kitty but it sounds like it is continuing in a very positive manner. Bravo to you!

You saw Halle-Bopp? That’s so cool. I hope you get clear skies tonight. We don’t get many of these opportunities. I’ll be out watching again too.

rubysmama rubysmama I don’t know if you’ll get to see this but it would be a great time to experiment with your camera.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 I think that having you do play time and work off the tension must really help.
Yes for sure. While family was here I got Jackson Galaxy's book about Cat Mojo from the library and read, while intros on hold till they left. So between this site and the book I feel armed to the hilt to do this :clapcat::gingercat::dancingblackcat:. I found Ziggy had done a little poop in one her favorite spots in the living room, that's OK Ziggy. I get the message :lol:.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned a trick for the eclipse shots. Take a microscope slide and tape it to the camera so it is at roughly a 45 degree angle to the viewfinder, then look at the glass from above. Most of the light passes through the slide, and the remainder isn't strong enough to damage your eyes, but is enough to give a reflection of what the lens is seeing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird , you've heard me talking about my own "vicious" feral tom, Scamper. This is Scamper when I first met him. He is the solid tabby. The other kitten is his brother, Scatter.

Scamper Kitten.JPG

This is Scamper today:

IMG_0044.jpg IMG_0053.JPG

I think I'm close to being able to pick him up, which means a trip to the vet for shots and neutering! I canNOT trap on the complex property. They'd evict me for feeding the cats in the first place, so...I do what I can, when I can. I KNOW I shouldn't feed if I can't neuter, but...they're hungry. And it keeps them out of the dumpster. THIS boy I have a lot of hope for!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 I guess Ziggy is communicating in cat speak! I’m glad you understood. They do what they can to show us they are uneasy or do not approve. Now that your company has gone, hopefully, no more anxiety and every thing will start moving forward again. Two steps forward and one poop back! ;) It’s going to be okay Ziggy. Purrs sent to all. I hope you got to see the comet tonight!

N NY cat man That is an awesome photography trick! I never would have thought of that.I won’t forget it though! I’ve read up on some iPhone photography but it just doesn’t match a real camera. I got lucky with the blood moon photos but that was much simpler. I caught some of the Unicorn meteor shower but the photos just didn’t cut it for me. Each event was brief and I felt lucky to even see the meteors, much less get a good shot. :dunno: I am always thinking, if only I had.....
If I had a telescope with camera! If I had every gadget that I could use for photography, my house would need another room! I’m just glad I can catch cats photos. ( sometimes :lol::chessirecat:) So.... when is the next eclipse? I need a microscope slide!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird , you've heard me talking about my own "vicious" feral tom, Scamper. This is Scamper when I first met him. He is the solid tabby. The other kitten is his brother, Scatter.

View attachment 343956

This is Scamper today:

View attachment 343957View attachment 343958

I think I'm close to being able to pick him up, which means a trip to the vet for shots and neutering! I canNOT trap on the complex property. They'd evict me for feeding the cats in the first place, so...I do what I can, when I can. I KNOW I shouldn't feed if I can't neuter, but...they're hungry. And it keeps them out of the dumpster. THIS boy I have a lot of hope for!
That is fantastic and it certainly looks like you are near to being able to get Scamper in your arms next! Scamper and Scatter are beautiful kitties. Great pictures of them. I know what the rules are around there and because I do, I would be feeding too. It’s your only chance to be able to Neuter any of them. Socializing enough to be a tame kitty is going to give Scamper him the upper paw and the possibility of being neutered! Yes! We can only do so much but every one taken out of the breeding pool is huge! Hopes, vibes, prayers and purrs sent that it will work! :vibes::redheartpump: I believe! Please do keep me posted about Scamper. You know that I am totally with you on this. I still say they are descendants of ships cats.;) Besides being important just for being kitties, they are historicats!:salute: Probably related to BJ too. Fierce lover kitties.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well..... I only caught a glimpse of the comet. My view tonight was more of blinding headlights! :frustrated:Every time my eyes adjusted to the dark, another truck would head my way. I don’t know why there is such a huge amount of truck traffic tonight but I finally gave up. The trucks aren’t supposed to be on that road at all so I guess they may be dodging something on the interstate. Often, if there is an accident or some kind of highway check point,drivers take this route to avoid stopping. There is some cloud cover coming in but I hope to try again tomorrow. At least I can se some fantastic photos coming in from other places. It’s a beautiful big comet!

I did laugh when I returned to the house. When the human is away, the cats will play! It’s very dark outside and I approached more quietly than a frog. Lol I got to observe for awhile unnoticed.

Communing with nature.
5AC64593-F227-4DC5-8403-2F8C4119BDFB.jpeg

What is Banjo doing?
D0F27BAF-8513-49C1-BAC2-62FD3247400D.jpeg

The Shadow knows! (Froggie!) :kitty:
73CCBFA8-8ED2-4783-9E81-E60587DED92A.jpeg

She’s not looking at Froggie now though! ?
8DE6DDBC-457C-4576-9000-AEF958BC72EE.jpeg

This is interesting.
CE5CA2C0-1AF7-458B-87E7-8E3DF423EB01.jpeg

I had to get a bit closer to see what Banjo was doing.
F98D4FE9-3911-4582-85CE-50795C9A6901.jpeg

She put her paw out.
34D660C5-5249-4733-818A-EF00B44A2A34.jpeg

She kept watching something.
31F96F95-32C0-4254-B4E2-42999DE36CF6.jpeg

It must be something good, judging by her expression.
A96D6235-F93B-4257-B1CA-2FB74FE8062A.jpeg

She was following something with her gaze...
A41E0C94-FF8D-4077-BC66-AD050527B595.jpeg

And then telling Froggie!
B05C19A1-FBC0-4CE8-9703-E8AA19123048.jpeg

Froggie jumped towards her and she repeated the whole routine. Oh! :lol:
DACB34CC-2E3F-4AF9-BF28-36209DB5C8F2.jpeg

Helping Froggie find supper! Sorry!
2760BFAA-1155-477A-9B58-FE87851A792C.jpeg

Apparently I interrupted a bug hunt! Excuse me Banjo! I’ll come in by the front door.

Never interrupt a cat while she is feeding her frog!

Happy comet or bug hunting everyone!
:bicolorcat:🐸

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama I don’t know if you’ll get to see this but it would be a great time to experiment with your camera.
Oh, I wish. But way too many streetlights and tall trees to get a decent view of the night sky. Where I lived growing up, we had a decent view of the sky, though, and would go out often to gaze at the constellations and watch for meteors. The best "show" I ever saw was the Leonid meteor shower in 1998. Anyone else catch them that year?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I wish. But way too many streetlights and tall trees to get a decent view of the night sky. Where I lived growing up, we had a decent view of the sky, though, and would go out often to gaze at the constellations and watch for meteors. The best "show" I ever saw was the Leonid meteor shower in 1998. Anyone else catch them that year?
You don't have any parks near you? There is a place a few miles away where they fly radio-controlled model airplanes, and that's where I took the comet picture. It wasn't perfect, but I was away from most of the lights.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 I guess Ziggy is communicating in cat speak! I’m glad you understood. They do what they can to show us they are uneasy or do not approve. Now that your company has gone, hopefully, no more anxiety and every thing will start moving forward again. Two steps forward and one poop back! ;) It’s going to be okay Ziggy. Purrs sent to all. I hope you got to see the comet tonight!
Waited a couple of days to resume intros- today Waffles stayed under the coffee table for a bit with Ziggy out, Ziggy went up to him without rushing, and as far as I could tell from her tail stump (she's a stumpy Manx) there wasn't tail lashing (her stumpy gets busy when she's anxious...) I could distract her and he let out a concerned "mmmm...." and she turned around. Giant step haha! We are on our way and it's a matter of time and positivity now.

It was cloudy last evening. Come on, we're supposed to have 300 sunny days per year here! Now is thundering and cloudy so not a lot of hope.

Froggie adventures again, they make me smile.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Comet update: Well, the rain stopped awhile ago and the northwest sky cleared up. I was hopeful. Then just after sunset the west sky clouded up again. I will check again in awhile. The NASA site has the comet through July 23rd, so will try tomorrow. 🌃☄

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Indeed I did see the 1998 Leonids. I was watching from a great spot. The ocean. My Dad was big into using a telescope for a few years so I knew it was coming. I think I may have seen the Leonids in 1966 as well. I’ll have to check to see if that was the one I remember. I saw more meteors that one night than I had ever seen before. I can remember a couple of times when the skies have been filled with “falling stars.” I live in a place now where the land is fairly good for viewing but not purrfect. We have a new neighbor too. They have kept very bright lights on outside since they moved in and none of the neighbors are appreciating that. One neighbor has it right in his face at night. Another form of pollution. It’s kind of sad to see the country side lit up all the time. It definitely does not stop vandals. If anything, it attracts them. I prefer to let them have trouble navigating my yard in the pitch black. :lol: I have met a couple of them in the dark and it was kind of fun to scare them off. Boo! I watched one fall head over heals when they stumbled on a tree root after trying to take my lawn mower. I do have a small light shining on the “No Trespassing” sign. The only strong lights here normally come from the highway so viewing is better very late at night.

NY Catman had a good idea. If you can find a dark park, that would be helpful!

Lari Lari I hope you remember to look! It’s amazing!

N NY cat man I hope we both get to see the next solar eclipse. I’ll remember that slide trick!

pearl99 pearl99 Her stumpy gets busy!!:lol: That gave me the cutest visual image! I’m glad there was a calm meeting.( other than the stump thumping! Things are moving forward!!:yess: Keep looking for the comet. Any break in the clouds could be a chance! We have heavy cloud cover now so I’m glad I got to see it a coupe of nights ago! We have paws crossed for you!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 Funny you mentioned Froggie! Right after doing a few posts, I saw this! It made me smile!

Spoiler alert! Another green hopper but bug version! A nice bug though!

Froggie?!?!?!?
D248BFC7-56E2-49DC-8220-D001DB54B7E9.jpeg

Where’s your face? I need a kiss from my Prince!
3AF6B139-0F88-4F29-9DFE-053B1BE5C16D.jpeg

I see another frog decoration on the glass......
2680CDEB-34B7-467E-9EB6-50742EA4B31B.jpeg

How did your legs get so long?
629869FB-1D2D-4181-A1A2-310C1091A4F6.jpeg

Mom?????? That’s not Froggie!
677C437E-03BD-4AA5-850C-0541BBBC6522.jpeg

I think Froggie is down there!
AFD8A86B-2570-4E48-A0AD-94AB5629F8AE.jpeg

Put me down Mom!!
CF7BAFE1-84AE-47C5-AD9B-5D4D5CB68285.jpeg

I need to find my Prince.
7AFB6743-C4FF-479E-964D-1FB373585C9B.jpeg

Sorry Mr, Green legs! I save all my kisses for my one true love.
4BAC6D87-524C-4124-81E6-B161C5A417F5.jpeg

You’ll find a lady love. Just keep looking. Maybe Kodiak?
EB5DE5EA-EAC5-4578-B002-2D44490398D7.jpeg

Hi Froggie! Don’t worry, I saved my kisses for you.,
C9DC034C-36ED-4FEE-9949-3107BF36D907.jpeg

Hugs Froggie.
D8AF5C62-5037-4A9D-83A5-73F010CEDF26.jpeg

Awwww! Froggie kisses my paw!
93DF2E34-6FB7-4203-ABB2-52FA78D6F946.jpeg

It’s nice to make new friends but no one can match the love between a cat and her prince!

Love is the most magical thing of all! :kitty:

I think I just heard a frog kissing a cat! Lol

Have a night of love everyone! :redheartpump:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't have any parks near you? There is a place a few miles away where they fly radio-controlled model airplanes, and that's where I took the comet picture. It wasn't perfect, but I was away from most of the lights.
There's parks, yes, but none I'd be comfortable going to by myself, and unless there was a 100% guarantee of seeing something, I don't have anyone who'd be willing to go with me.

On April 8, 2024, there will be a total solar eclipse whose path will be directly overhead of me- assuming I'm still drawing breath, that is.
I've been waiting for that one for years, and finally it's *almost* here. Hopefully we're all still drawing breath when it occurs,and that the sky is clear that day.
. :grouphug2:

rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama Indeed I did see the 1998 Leonids. I was watching from a great spot. The ocean. My Dad was big into using a telescope for a few years so I knew it was coming.
It was the best sky show ever! You had to get up early to see them, and I remember the sky starting to brighten with dawn, and the meteors were still flying. 🌠

Spoiler alert! Another green hopper but bug version! A nice bug though!
Grasshopper? Or some other long-legged green bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.