My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Demi likes to swallow grasshoppers whole and then barf them up. Not anymore though, since he doesn't go outside.
But grasshoppers have sharp thorny hind legs! January loves to chase things that moves. He'll even play with a tiny piece of litter and kick it around.

What if we tell jokes?
I love this look. It's like 'Trust me, I tell good jokes!'

What do you call a cricket that says one thing but does the opposite?
A hipocricket! Awhahahaha!
4c2ce7c089a4092189aebedb58b2d23c.gif

This is a good one. I told that Mackie was good!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Mackie has always loved a good joke. I don’t know where he got that from. You would think he grew up with a Clowder of comedians! ;) He has been my laughing cat from the very beginning.
It's great to have a cat that love jokes and tell jokes. I guessed his favorite tv program is Saturday Night Live! :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My gran always maintained that a "weed" was just a flower growing in the wrong place.
So true. Wild violets, for example, are actually pretty, except when in the middle of my lawn! :lol:

If January sees a spider, he'll flatten it further by pounding it with his paw
You guys know how I hate spiders, well one day I saw something dark on the floor, went to inspect and found 8 things which I believe were legs! :eek2: I assume Miss Ruby had something to do with the demise, and dismemberment, of the monster.:running:

My mother in law made Rhubarb pie.
Strawberry rhubarb pie, as well as jam, is really good. :yummy:

I am going to have to work on some bug jokes before bed.
Bedbugs? :eek2: Noooooo!:running:
Yeah, definitely not bedbugs. Never seen them, but know they aren't just in fairy tales anymore. :paranoid:

Here's a bug joke Mackie might like. It's best as a visual, so you'll have to see if Banjo will show Mackie how to use your phone. :butterfly:

1591704508561.png

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault Cherry bounce? This kind...:jump:? lol I can tell you the effect it would have on my bounce....:thud::lol:

@Lari That was a great idea! So many of the contest photos are hilarious! I love that thread but picking one photo is sooooo hard! They are all great.
The couch is beautiful. IKEA has been around for awhile. I see a lot of neat things from them. Yours already has a “kitty seal of approval! :thumbsup::vancat:

Magic Banjo!
We just need some accompanying music. We are all taking lessons now. Meet the teacher.
rubysmama rubysmama The Clowder says to tell you thank you! (Especially Precious because he thinks you were referring to him in particular. Lol The others allowed him the mistake. They are a kind group. Lol .) I enjoy the thread too. I think we have a lot of fun and get to learn a lot from each other. We also get to meet a lot of kitties all over the world here. Ferals, flavors, rescues, petal, posies and more! Lol I am always grateful that I found the site that night! It’s kind of amazing how we find our way here and it opens up a whole world for us! :clap2:TCS forever!

I never dreamed what would come from my first exploration here. :grouphug: (That circle needs to be much, much larger.🌎):)

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I would love your yard! It has a very serene feeling. That’s the kind of place I am always drawn to. I think gardens and cat people often go together. Whether it be flowers, herbs, fruits or vegetables, we all seem to enjoy the bounty of nature. I always enjoy sitting quietly and just listening/looking if I can’t be planting.
There are lots of greenhouses available online. Some are small and can attach to a house and others are commercial sized spaces. I wouldn’t mind living in mine! :lol: I keep a vent open year round so the birds can enter and leave at will. There is a cat door too. No creature living inside seems to bother any other. I have seen birds nests in there along with mom cats and kittens. I also found new baby kittens in a birds nest there once! I guess that made sense. They were safe and must have been catbirds.;)
We haven’t had a cricket match here yet! We did have a bullfrog jumping contest once though! The bullfrog won!

N NY cat man A wall of wine?!?!? Lol A masterpiece of construction! :lol: Falling upstairs sounds like a masterpiece of destruction! Ouch. Of course they would not have felt it until much, much later. Lol I can only imagine that the wine kept them feeling warm during the nap in the car.
Rhubarb wine? That’s a new one on me! I can’t even imagine the flavor but I would expect it to be an improvement since I don’t like rhubarb. Sarah loved it so I did cook it though.
Cherry wine must have required a LOT of cherries! KB. King Brewer? ;)

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 So.... you were elderberry pie eyed? :lol: Glad you stumbled upon the cherry wine you like. Just don’t let Hekitty share. You’ll smash another toe!:oops:
It is wonderful to find someone with such great plant wisdom. It is something that should be documented and shared so that it is not lost to the coming generations. Right C catapault ?
I bet I would have loved your Gran too! I have known ladies like that and always enjoyed their company. I once met a woman when I was hiking into deep woods near where I lived. She was in her eighties and miles from her home. I was as surprised to find her as she was to find me! Lol I had Sarah in a baby back pack and the three of us had a delightful day together. She was gathering plants for healing, I was searching for a particular form of birdfoot Violet. A couple of weeks later she came to my house with a bottle of gold colored liquid. It was a gift. I was to apply it to fire ant bites. (Common in the fields there) The next time I was stung, I tried it. It worked! The sting subsided and the blistering wasn’t nearly as severe as usual. Over the next years I tried to get her to divulge the ingredients but she always grinned and promised to keep me supplied. I never knew what sly thing she had done but was always grateful for “the cure!” (Perhaps it contained the rarer form of birdfoot violet I had been hunting! :flail:)It has been many years since I last saw her but somehow I kind of imagine that she is still walking somewhere deep in those woods with the bobcats, Fox squirrels and deer as she harvests the wild plants.
You don't like rhubarb? When we had the farm, we had rhubarb and asparagus growing along the path to the outhouse. We often would break off a stalk of the rhubarb and chew on it. Talk about pucker power! I still like just plain rhubarb pies. I guess some things you never outgrow.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't like rhubarb? When we had the farm, we had rhubarb and asparagus growing along the path to the outhouse. We often would break off a stalk of the rhubarb and chew on it. Talk about pucker power! I still like just plain rhubarb pies. I guess some things you never outgrow.
I have a recipe for rhubarb freezer jam. Sooo good.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, M maggiedemi , yes, I rescue insects and arachnids, except for poisonous spiders. Those, sadly, need to go, because safety is priority around here.
We've had the effects from eating flies around here, too -- BLECH!:barf:And when I was growing up, one of my brofurs used to get lizards. They'd drop their tails and hopefully escape Jaws II :fear:
I love rhubarb pie! Only had it a couple of times in my life, but loved it and won't ever forget it. I love that tartness and the color.
Big Mackie! A do love a man(cat) with a sense of humor. Handsome, too, of course!
And Banjo Cat is wonderful! I've always loved that instrument. It sounds really intricate to me. Looks hard to play, too, but I'm sure it isn't for those who learn it and play a lot.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in the country and have seen this plant, thought it was a weed, my whole life although not as magnificnt a stand as these so the other day I took these pictures to post (hadn't gotten around to it yet). While searching for a pork ribeye recipe for my new Ninja foodie today I was running across lots of salve directions on Pinterest one of which was for a chamomile balm.
Image my surprise when I saw a photo of the flower. Do you think this is chamomile in my photos below or a look-alike?
20200609_204732.jpg

20200607_180625.jpg
20200607_180634.jpg

Gypsy's researching but it looks like shes gotten sidetracked...
20200608_204626.jpg

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Nope, not chamomile, which is Matricaria. Your picture is fleabane, probably Erigeron annuus and no, it does not repel fleas. How to tell the flowers apart? The fleabane has many narrow petals, almost thread-like while chamomile has fewer, broader petals that are rounded at the tip. Here is an image of chamomile.
1591754339235.png

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOVE me some German Chamomile! Good for what ails you, especially skin "ouchies." On man or beast. I should go brew some for my mosquito bites, actually.

There is a story- maybe apocryphal, maybe not- of a guy I knew who drank a water glass of KB's cherry wine, fell up the stairs leaving the cellar, and was found the next morning asleep in his stalled car in a flooded stretch of road- it was in the spring, and many of the back roads saw high water levels from snow melt. I keep forgetting one other wine he made- rhubarb wine. Yes, indeed.
I believe that implicitly. One of my friends used to brew incredible Mead. We began calling it "Miracle Mead" after another friend drank the better part of a bottle, thought she was FINE, and drove 400 miles without her glasses. She couldn't see her hand in front of her face without her glasses. WE thought she was going out to sit on the porch, or we'd have stopped her, BTW.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Nope, not chamomile, which is Matricaria. Your picture is fleabane, probably Erigeron annuus and no, it does not repel fleas. How to tell the flowers apart? The fleabane has many narrow petals, almost thread-like while chamomile has fewer, broader petals that are rounded at the tip. Here is an image of chamomile.
View attachment 338263
Oh thank you, I did notice the petals were different but I was hoping it was a close enough kin to use it to make some balm. Sorry but I can't get rid of the grid

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom Funny you should mention that! Mackie loves any show that has lots of laughter. Lately he has noticed something called “Ipratical Jokers.” These four guys challenge each other to do ridiculous stuff and they end up laughing at each other. It has merged into a game show that I am not very fond of but the original show has lots of laughter so Mackie will lay in the sofa and watch as these guys act silly. If o say anything to Mackie he looks up with a meow and a grin. I love seeing that face!

rubysmama rubysmama Ruby rescued you! She knew that you would not want to meet that intruder. Thank you Ruby! One rescue deserves another! You scratch her back, she scratches the spider. Lol

That joke is adorable! I think that is one of the cutest ones I have seen in awhile. I am sure that when Banjo stops rolling on the floor giggling, she will show it to Mackie. :lol:

N NY cat man Maybe I just don’t like cooked rhubarb? Hmmmm. Reading down, there are some other options. I may have to grow some more. I often ate things strait out of the garden but never that. Fresh is always very different and better to me. Those early garden memories are always sweet.

pearl99 pearl99 Maybe I would like your freezer jam! I think that’s a neat sounding recipe!

M maggiedemi I don’t make it a point to save mosquitos but if I can let them out, I do. They get in my car every time I go out so I roll down the window and they get swept out in the breeze. They carry too many bad things for me to allow them around the cats. A mosquito is what gave BJ his heartworms! They are not welcome here. I also got malaria from one when I was traveling. Not fun.
I think that fresh rhubarb dunked in a bit of sugar might change my mind! Lol

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Mackie is so confident in his man cat self. Lol He knows he is all muscle and has a smile that charms everyone. Lol He won me immediately.
That Banjo cat is very talented. My Grandfather could play the banjo very well. As a girl I always begged him to play. It was a pretty instrument too. All silver and mother of pearl. He made it sing. Of the family members, I seem to have been most taken by it. I bring it up sometimes and my Dad is,” Oh yeah! I had forgotten.” I never will. My Dad never mastered the Banjo but could play a twelve string guitar and harmonica together. That is a trick. Multitasking! There were a lot of musicians on both sides of the family and I loved growing up with music. My step Mother played symphony French Horn. Whew! None of them play anymore and I find that sad. My step sister learned the flute but doesn’t even remember now. I adore the flute! Jethro Tull could really play one! The last thing a family member learned was Native American flute. Beautiful.
I plunk around on that old piano and, of course, I play with furry Whistle and Banjo. :flail:They make music too.

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Gypsy made me laugh! I bet she found out it was Fkeabane and lost interest. Lol No fleas for her! I have always thought that fleabane is pretty. It grows and flowers in such quality it give an area a very Lacey look. The flowers are very soft. We used to pick huge bouquets of it when I was little. It was the perfect size flower for doll flowers.

That grid is irritating. I had it too! I finally got rid of it by just tapping on the screen. I had hit something up by the media button, I think! It took me awhile to make it go away. Lol Mayby Gypsy put it there. Ask her to get rid of it. Banjo always helps me to fix tech problems. :lol: Any paw prints on the screen as clues?

C catapault That’s a great picture of chamomile. It certainly show the difference in the petals. It’s too bad we can’t use fkeabane like we do chamomile. Fleabane is everywhere around here!

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 That was “Miracle Meade!” She survived the trip! I don’t know if it really helped her vision or she just saw “doubly” well? Lol My nephew wa just talking about a “Viking Blood “ Meade of honey. I imagine that could leave you very intoxicated if taken in large quatity! Wheeeee! Nooo. Lol

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been sorting through books today. A friend gave me some orchid books so I was “weeding” out duplicates. Lol I will be sending those on to others. The cat were very helpful!

I thought we might share a special flower too. This is an Oncidium sphcelatum Sarah. Normally the flowers on a shpacelatum are much smaller but this is a particularly nice form. My friend brought it when he came to deliver my plants. It was a nice surprise and the name is purrfect.
C64699D1-8F60-4BCF-85E3-27EB1A3442CC.jpeg
DAAFC585-A06E-42B1-8264-32A32222CA40.jpeg

I thought the cats were getting boxes ready for the books I will be taking out. Hmmm.
470E29DB-B3AA-4EF7-9C57-B02D848C2E27.jpeg

We were just planning the best way to pack them!
8E013589-EEC3-4A29-8517-471B1FF6E6BA.jpeg

Napping? No, not us!
8986E03A-98B5-424E-BFA1-7A1ADC14DFB9.jpeg

I sorted all the books but only one is worth reading. Can we have the cat story at bedtime if we all pack books now?
A30B2784-8D4A-44CD-887B-F8AFCE351418.jpeg

I think you’re going to have to find another box Dolly. Bonnie takes up a whole box all by himself!
861774AB-8B23-4F4C-8143-B1EF20A46090.jpeg

No room for books here. Move along please.
077492D4-C282-4539-8475-74980F3EEC97.jpeg

This is the last book. Bedtime story now?
460F7FCF-DF92-41E8-9A49-D16A959D91D2.jpeg

:lol: I guess I’ll be reading to a rather large audience tonight. The story of a little Siamese kitten, Skippy Jon Jones! Lol

Have a great night everyone! :heartshape:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I thought we might share a special flower too. This is an Oncidium sphcelatum Sarah. Normally the flowers on a shpacelatum are much smaller but this is a particularly nice form. My friend brought it when he came to deliver my plants. It was a nice surprise and the name is purrfect.
Good name and beautiful flower :heartshape: :hugs:

Orchids are pretty hardy and they have many varieties.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom Orchids are hardy! When I teach about them I tell people that if they pamper them, they will kill them. Nature built them to be tough. The varieties are amazing. Some would not be recognized as orchids by most people. Some are verrry tiny too. Nature gives us much to admire.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad never mastered the Banjo but could play a twelve string guitar and harmonica together.
Is your dad married? I think playing the harmonica is the sexiest thing ever. Sorry if that's weird, but you guys are used to it. :lol:

I adore the flute! Jethro Tull could really play one!
I've only ever heard the flute in 2 songs, but really liked it. Could you please send me a good Jethro Tull flute song to my email, or maybe even post it on the music thread here? 👍

if they pamper them, they will kill them. Nature built them to be tough.
Hmmm. My oldest brother would love this saying. He says that to me all the time, about me. 🙄

Nature gives us much to admire.
I agree, it sure does. If you know what I mean...😉

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a lovely orchid with a lovely name, Jcatbird Jcatbird :goldstar:and beautiful flowers of different types but somewhat similar appearance! I love the panfurs and tigrets, of course, so much!
I've found that cats have definite preferences in entertainment. Our beloved angel Samuda LOVED car chases. He'd sit up tall on the edge of the bed to get close to them. Everyone here now loves the nature programs and their special "CAT DREAMS" DVD which has birds, small rodents, insects, and beautiful nature settings. They don't care about the true crime programs one way or the other, I don't think. :yawn:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Some orchids I shot during an orchid exhibit in Gardens by The Bay. The I.Ds to the flowers is as close as I can get as there are many hybrids out there now.

Masdevallia
IMG_7678.JPG

Encyclia Orchid
IMG_7681.JPG

Cymbidium Orchid?
IMG_7682.JPG

Not sure if this one belongs to the Paphiopedilium (Lady Slipper) species
IMG_7686.JPG

Will post the other few more later which I can't stick an I.D on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.