My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The statistics there are much better than here. I hope that Singapore will demonstrate to all how to handle the situation. :redheartpump:
Singapore has already demonstrated and is currently demonstrating the urgency of saving lives. Recently our country was commented and featured in a foreign interview, I can't remember which program was it and was saiid that many countries should follow what we are doing and our reporting of statistics are true unlike some countries.

We are opening up our country slowly, phase by phase depending of the situation. Many restrictions are still in place.
Maybe Tabbytom could find a name for SG.
Actually, in fact, there is a cat breed, our very own breed and it's called the Singapura Cat (Singapura is a Malay translation for Singapore) besides all the strays and feral cats.
So maybe my avatar is named Singapura (I named it...........:lol:)

Here's the link to our Singapura Cat :- browse-all-breeds

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 : Thanks for caring about those kitties. I don't personally have any experience with ferals, so can't really offer any suggestions, other than to possibly create a new thread of your own. There are many members who help ferals, who may not read this thread, but might see and reply to a new one. If you do create your own thread, please post the link, so we don't miss it. Good luck with everything. :petcat:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad so many of you asked how the hunt for the tom cat is going.
I can't think of any advice, but sending good vibes and prayers. :crossfingers:

I think you dreamed about a Cinnamon Muffin!
I like the sound of that. 👍

let them know they need to see you on an emergency basis or send you to someone who can see you.
Nobody will take me, since I'm on Medicaid. They gave me a list of dentists, but it's wrong, most of them on the list said no when I called, they don't take Medicaid.

June 15 th is not terribly far off. Hang in there.
June 15 is the vet, not the dentist.

She did get her garden walk. Of course most of the time she wanted to be carried.
Awww man, don't brag! I want to carry Lady around. She's mine. 😍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi That clove oil is supposed to be quite helpful, or there's a gel you can get at drug stores called Orajel, until a dentist will see you. *Prayers* and best thoughts for you. Oral pain is terrible.
Jcatbird Jcatbird I know you need more "stuff" like you need a hole in the head, but if you sign up at newegg.com for the deals, you'll be alerted each and every day to what's on sale. They have Dyson deals quite often. Not cheap, but from what I hear from some, they last. And the stick types are very light. My roomie did the whole house seemingly in just a few minutes on Wednesday, and it picked up all the dust and hair from 3 people and 3 cats quite well. It even sucked up a paper clip.
Hope your tree problem is dealt with soon! and of course, that your shoulder improves very quickly. Those sweet, loving cats will certainly help.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 The young male is probably after another female. He could be anywhere during mating season. They wander far and wide. I still keep wondering where else they could be getting food though. The appear but the vanish which makes me think someone may be feeding an outside cat or dog if not leaving some other source of food. Dumpsters near restaurants are often a source for animals. Trash cans and trash dump sites too. They find something. Trapping kittens is a bit different since weight matters. Each trap is a little different but to determine the trip weight try experimenting with things you have that show weight like a small bag of sugar or anything that will help you to guess if the kittens are big enough to trip the trap. You have to estimate the weight of the kittens. I expect we can try to do that if you know approximate age but it will be a guess. Small animal traps trip more easily like for a squirrel but I used regular cat traps and kittens tripped them most of the time. You can make it a little easier to trip by placing a very light object on the trip plate that will not set it off but add to the pressure when a kitten steps on it. I have also rigged them with a way to trip it by me pulling a string to tip over a water bottle and close the door. Of course that means you must be present. I have used verrrrry long pieces of string. You must be very fast to do this efficiently but it can work.

You know Calicos are something certain members really love! The calico would be my target for trapping besides kittens since it is almost surely female. I know the young male might be one to keep O’Malley away too though.
If you don’t know where to set the trap when it comes to any cat, along the edges of buildings, under shrubbery that could provide a hidden pathway and any place that can give privacy during travel.
Please keep us updated.
If anyone else can add tips, please do.
Yeah, Jcatbird Jcatbird . That's called a drop trap, and it's used by a lot of trapping pros doing TNR. You do have to sit on the trap (meaning be by it and observe) but one good thing is that kittens need frequent feedings, so they will be looking for food every 3-4 hours, probably, if not more frequently. Their metabolism is very high and they burn through the food and use the calories very quickly.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom We watch and learn, I hope.
I nearly posted that SG could be Singing Girl. Lol Singapura is something I I look up on that link! Sing a purr a. :yess:

rubysmama rubysmama Ditto! Thanks to jefferd18 jefferd18 for saving lives.

M maggiedemi Muffin liked that too! Lol
Did the dentist tell you when they can see you?
Let them know that no one else can.
You want to carry Lady? Then you are going to love this next smile post!

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 The oil of cloves is amazing! I love that stuff. One of my dental surgeons used it on me for a dry socket and it instantly stopped the pain.
I didn’t have an actual drop trap here, I just rigged my trap to work so that it functioned like one. We do what we can.
The more I hear about the Dyson, the more I want one! I will sign up. Thank you!
The cats are doing something great! They are hiving me daily, Sweetish massages. :lol:

Thank you for providing more kitten info too!
Hoping jefferd has good luck.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom We watch and learn, I hope.
I nearly posted that SG could be Singing Girl. Lol Singapura is something I I look up on that link! Sing a purr a. :yess:

rubysmama rubysmama Ditto! Thanks to jefferd18 jefferd18 for saving lives.

M maggiedemi Muffin liked that too! Lol
Did the dentist tell you when they can see you?
Let them know that no one else can.
You want to carry Lady? Then you are going to love this next smile post!

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 The oil of cloves is amazing! I love that stuff. One of my dental surgeons used it on me for a dry socket and it instantly stopped the pain.
I didn’t have an actual drop trap here, I just rigged my trap to work so that it functioned like one. We do what we can.
The more I hear about the Dyson, the more I want one! I will sign up. Thank you!
The cats are doing something great! They are hiving me daily, Sweetish massages. :lol:

Thank you for providing more kitten info too!
Hoping jefferd has good luck.
Yes, the Singapura has also been referred to as the "drain cat" in Singapore because they were indigenous and on the streets. They are tiny, silvery cats with huge green eyes, very irresistible! and of course, with western "breeders" getting involved, they have attained fame and popularity worldwide.
Wow, that's amazing about your oil of clove/drysocket experience! That is something I've heard is excruciating.
Bravo jefferd18 jefferd18 !!! I do not know the story but saving feline lives is something I am always very, very happy about.
"Sweetish massages" :lolup::clap:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am posting very early. I have a lot to get done in the next few days and I am moving at a snails pace. Lol 🐌

I did get something cute though. The Lady Of Chez Catbird.
As you all know, yesterday was time to go for a walk.

Once Lady got her dress/harness in the right way, she was ready. Lol
9D08F1C5-33BC-4284-B543-9A31CAAA314D.jpeg

She went straight to her favorite tree root!
0A95D488-B034-43C7-A6C2-15F3F524C28D.jpeg

Then a little bit of uh watching. Adventure was in the air!
C9C03786-3282-409E-8FD6-1941B4DB2B4E.jpeg

She helped me to , finally, get a well exposed photo of the day lily.
6736B48D-8F23-4CBE-9294-6BE8243E0997.jpeg

Eek! Help! A leaf grabbed my buns!
23E83F1C-1BF1-496D-9B1C-3224D4B69231.jpeg

Get it off! It doesn’t go with my dress!
E006B0FA-8A75-4183-8448-EC9B28955F70.jpeg

Did you get it?
A37AB593-7C4D-4067-A0EB-64AB386AECBC.jpeg

Thanks mom. I think it’s time to go inside.
D9680828-6A71-4456-83B9-733D45788362.jpeg

That way human!
E75B3C0E-8C5A-4439-A0CF-4173774AC86E.jpeg

I think I hear more leaves!
EC06809D-E5FF-4A1E-B0FF-BC6903E1CFA7.jpeg

Open the door!
F9CB66D8-9ECF-4708-B8AF-E26F2781815A.jpeg

That’s okay. I’ll get it myself!
62862F47-0040-44F7-8E62-E5E3E376A562.jpeg

One last look outside Lady?

The purrfect picture! All whiskers, fluff, air biscuits and derpy tongue!
611497B3-F1C9-4030-90CD-5C5B3025B0FE.jpeg

I found this too. By CAT Stevens! Lol
Have a great night everyone! :heartshape::lovecat3:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am posting very early. I have a lot to get done in the next few days and I am moving at a snails pace. Lol 🐌

As you all know, yesterday was time to go for a walk.

Once Lady got her dress/harness in the right way, she was ready. Lol
View attachment 336757
She went straight to her favorite tree root!
View attachment 336758
Then a little bit of uh watching. Adventure was in the air!
View attachment 336771
View attachment 336773
Eek! Help! A leaf grabbed my buns!
View attachment 336774
Get it off! It doesn’t go with my dress!
View attachment 336775
Did you get it?
View attachment 336776
Thanks mom. I think it’s time to go inside.
View attachment 336777
That way human!
View attachment 336778
I think I hear more leaves!
View attachment 336779
Open the door!
View attachment 336780
That’s okay. I’ll get it myself!
View attachment 336781
One last look outside Lady?

The purrfect picture! All whiskers, fluff, air biscuits and derpy tongue!
View attachment 336782

I found this too. By CAT Stevens! Lol
Have a great night everyone! :heartshape::lovecat3:
Yes, those leaves launch sneak attacks, don't they, lovely Lady? We like watching them from inside. Where they can't get us! ;) :winkcat:
I'd never seen that video or heard that song before. Thanks for sharing!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
nearly posted that SG could be Singing Girl. Lol Singapura is something I I look up on that link! Sing a purr a. :yess:
That's a great nick name for our country cats - Singapurr! :redheartpump::hearthrob:

That clove oil is supposed to be quite helpful,
The oil of cloves is amazing! I love that stuff. One of my dental surgeons used it on me for a dry socket and it instantly stopped the pain.
Yes, clove oil to the rescue! I use that too.
IMG_9209.jpg
finally, get a well exposed photo of the day lily.
That's a lovely shot of the lovely bloom! :hearthrob::redheartpump:

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh BTW, our country's name originated from the Malay name Singapura way back in history before it was renamed to Singapore.

Taken from :- the-lion-head-symbol
THE ORIGIN
The Lion Head is a distinctive and easily recognisable National Symbol of Singapore. Less formal than the other symbols such as the National Flag and the State Crest, the Lion Head symbol can be freely used by individuals, organisations and corporations to promote a sense of national identity.

This National Symbol was introduced in 1986 as the Government wanted an alternative symbol that people and organisations could use to express their loyalty and commitment to the nation. As the National Flag and the State Crest are governed by legal restrictions which restrict their use for commercial or non-governmental purposes, the then Ministry of Communications and Information embarked on a search for a symbol that people could readily identify with.

The Ministry invited local art schools and advertising agencies to produce a new symbol that best exemplifies the characteristics of the nation. Many designs were submitted using motifs such as HDB flats, palm trees and various lions. The winning entry was a lion head by a young designer named Mr Michael Lee, who offered his design as a gift to the nation.

The lion was chosen as it is a powerful and historic symbol of Singapore's status as the Lion City and symbolises three national values: courage, excellence and strength. Singapore's name is itself derived from 'Singa Pura' (which means "Lion City"). According to the Malay Annals, Sang Nila Utama, a prince from Palembang, gave this name to the island after he came ashore and saw a creature he believed to be a lion.

MEANING
The Lion Head symbolises courage, strength and excellence. It is in solid red against a white background - the colours of the National Flag. The mane has five partings that represent the same five ideals embodied in the five stars of the National Flag, namely democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality. The lion's tenacious mien symbolises the nation's single-minded resolve to face and overcome any challenges.

That's why our country is also called the Lion City and we have the iconic Merlion.

So technically the lion belongs to the cat family and the name Singapurr fits in nicely.

Unknown.jpg

singapore-2358810_1280-e1525207298610.jpg

Taken from :- SIP_938_2004-12-27.html
The Merlion is a mythical creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish.1 Regarded as a Singapore icon, the Merlion was designed in 1964 for the Singapore Tourist Promotion Board (STPB; now known as the Singapore Tourism Board) and functioned as its logo from 1964 to 1997.2 There are seven authorised Merlion statues in Singapore,3 the most well-known being an 8-metre-tall statue designed by Kwan Sai Kheong and sculpted by Lim Nang Seng.4 First unveiled on 15 September 1972,5 this statue is now located at the new Merlion Park, adjacent to One Fullerton at the Marina Bay waterfront.6 As a symbol representing Singapore, the Merlion features prominently in tourist souvenirs sold locally.7

Origins
The emblem’s concept was first devised in 1963 for the STPB by Fraser Brunner, curator of the Van Kleef Aquarium.8 Later named the “Merlion”, its registration as a trademark of the STPB was finalised on 20 July 1966, granting the board exclusive rights to use the symbol.9

Using the fish in its design alludes to the idea of Singapore’s beginnings as a fishing village, while the lion refers to the sighting of a lion in Temasek by a prince from Palembang, Sang Nila Utama, as narrated in the Sejarah Melayu, leading him to rename the island Singapura (“lion city” in Sanskrit).10

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, in fact, there is a cat breed, our very own breed and it's called the Singapura Cat
I adore Singapuras! They are so tiny and delicate, and sweet AND playful! Now, there's one purebred that I'd consider, along with the little werewolf-looking Lykoi.

Jcatbird Jcatbird , names really do mean something! It just hit me that "Lady" is the one cat who wants to get dressed up and promenade for everyone to admire her!

M maggiedemi , your local pharmacy should carry clove oil.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I adore Singapuras! They are so tiny and delicate, and sweet AND playful! Now, there's one purebred that I'd consider
It's hard to find them now as I guess they are all hydrids as we have many strays and ferals and the breed is diluted already though you may still find it's traits in some strays.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Yes! A dry socket is awful! The oil of cloves was instant relief. I was so amazed that a couple of drops of liquid stopped the agony that I asked the surgeon what he had used. Oil of cloves! I love it when natural remedies can be used.
I had to post that some for Lady. I am so happy that she chose to come with me that day. She walked with me as though she had always been here. She is a Lady who knows her own mind. Lol

tabbytom tabbytom I love the name Singapurr for the kitty. I watched several videos of the Singapura. They are beautiful and have wonderful purr sonalities. They do sing too! I think they have the most stunning eyes.

The history you posted was very interesting. Merlions and the Lion as a symbol are very appropriate. I enjoyed learning. You live in the purrfect place. :redheartpump:
I haven’t checked all the links yet, but I will! I would love to come to see a place that holds dear the things that have such importance. The five strands of the Lion mane stand for the things I wish everyone held as a standard.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Wouldn’t we all love a Singapura? From what I found, they fix their gaze on the humans they choose to love. They don’t mind looking you right in the eyes! Not every breed appreciates that.

Lady was not a name I chose lightly. I like to give names that fit though. That just seemed to BE her name. Lol No other cat here would have any interest in wearing a dress!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I love the name Singapurr for the kitty. I watched several videos of the Singapura. They are beautiful and have wonderful purr sonalities. They do sing too! I think they have the most stunning eyes.

The history you posted was very interesting. Merlions and the Lion as a symbol are very appropriate. I enjoyed learning. You live in the purrfect place. :redheartpump:
I haven’t checked all the links yet, but I will! I would love to come to see a place that holds dear the things that have such importance. The five strands of the Lion mane stand for the things I wish everyone held as a standard.
Yes, you gave me the idea and I made a changed to my avatar :heartshape:

Guess every country has their own history and how they got their names. The five strands reflect the five stars we have on our flag that reflects the core value of our country.

As for the Singapura Cat, it's hard to find them now but at least we have a cat to call our own :lol: IMG_3363.GIF

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck getting everything done! :redheartpump: Make sure you don't overdo it though. 🤗

Awww... lovely Lady. :catlove:

6736B48D-8F23-4CBE-9294-6BE8243E0997.jpeg
Also lovely Daylily. :hearthrob:

My Daylilies aren't quite ready to bloom yet, as you can see from this pic taken a few days ago. Lots of Froggies though. There might even be one Banjo would like. 🐸

1590922872408.png

My tulips are pretty much done now. Here's a shot from last week while they were still looking pretty good.

IMG_0926.jpg

I'd never seen that video or heard that song before. Thanks for sharing!
Me either. Thanks for posting it. :redheartpump:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you gave me the idea and I made a changed to my avatar :heartshape:

Guess every country has their own history and how they got their names. The five strands reflect the five stars we have on our flag that reflects the core value of our country.

As for the Singapura Cat, it's hard to find them now but at least we have a cat to call our own :lol: View attachment 336810
And of course you know Singh=Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.