My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ruby spoiled. Nah!!! Just very well loved! That’s as it should be.:)

Thank goodness for our hero BJ! It did strike me as a bit funny that a bunny was scary!

I love the photo of Sammi Angel and the Bear! That is adorable! The Bear does look like it would be snuggly for kitties. People too! Lol Thst blue iris is a favorite with me too! The color is amazing. Sarah’s Garden usually has something pretty blooming.View attachment 281930

View attachment 281931

The eggs in the photo are real eggshells. I blew the egg out and decorated them some years ago for an orchid show near Easter time. Cutting the shell required some care. Lol the ones covered in pearls are actually hinged and open up. One has a miniature sculpture of an orchid inside it. Another egg is cut out and is done like a little shadowbox. They were fun to make. I used to have a lot more but over the years I have gifted them away. I love the Ukrainian eggs and also Faberge’ eggs. All beautiful works of art. I would love to be able to make those!View attachment 281941

View attachment 281942 View attachment 281943

View attachment 281944 View attachment 281945

View attachment 281946
Today the kitties had a day of calm. I wanted to make up for that wild rabbit!:lol: Treats for everyone! Things were really looking up!

View attachment 281934
Although I still got a bit of cattitude!
View attachment 281935
Whistle is still a bit snippy. He loves Banjo but.......
View attachment 281936
When I got the treats out, he wanted the first serving!
View attachment 281937
He took them too!
View attachment 281938
BJ is just fine though. The bunny didn’t ruffle his fur.
View attachment 281939
BJ comforted Flowers last night. View attachment 281950
Since Dolly slept through everything yesterday he had no idea why he was getting extra treats but he accepted them without question.:p
View attachment 281940
Banjo had her feelings hurt when Whistle brushed her off.
View attachment 281932
A little love goes a long way though. Things are looking up again for her too.
View attachment 281933
All is well again on the feral front!;)

Have a great night everyone! Another busy day is coming!:dizzycat::runningcat::redheartpump:
Yes, that big bear has comforted quite a few cats in his time! and I'm sure he's not stopping.
Those eggs are stunning! My dad worked with a woman who decorated styrofoam eggs with silk thread, beads, faux pearls, ribbons and braid. They were gorgeous, too. A friend of mine gave me a china egg as a gift. It's very beautiful.

Looks like all is very well at Chez Catbird! :happycat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in AWE of those eggs! I love doing stuff like that, but I've never quite done that, eggs-actly!

Banjo’s ear tip was done at a vet office rather than a clinic. It’s a much kinder tipping if you ask me. I don’t like the heavy tipping the clinics here do.
I don't care for the heavier tipping either, but I imagine that part of it is that they are easier to spot at a distance, when you're trying to keep track of how many still have to be done in a large colony.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that big bear has comforted quite a few cats in his time! and I'm sure he's not stopping.
Those eggs are stunning! My dad worked with a woman who decorated styrofoam eggs with silk thread, beads, faux pearls, ribbons and braid. They were gorgeous, too. A friend of mine gave me a china egg as a gift. It's very beautiful.

Looks like all is very well at Chez Catbird! :happycat:
Those eggs sound beautiful! Great idea with the silk thread. All is well at Chez Catbird!

I'm in AWE of those eggs! I love doing stuff like that, but I've never quite done that, eggs-actly!
Not eggs- actly? :lol: You’re so funny! I get the yolk! You crack me up. :dunno: Sorry, I can’t help the puns. Blame it on my Dad!

I don't care for the heavier tipping either, but I imagine that part of it is that they are easier to spot at a distance, when you're trying to keep track of how many still have to be done in a large colony.
I Understand the reasoning behind the heavy ear tip but , ouch! I always feel so awful for the cats! Another good reason to Spay/ neuter and stop the suffering of dumped and feral cats. End the cycle of breeding colonies, rescue, socialize and rehome where possible. One day I hope that things will be different. Maybe colonies will at least become small enough that a chip could be used. I am betting technology could be produced that can read chips at a distance. I imagine that traps could read a chip and be triggered or not depending on the reading or lack of chip. Remote controls for traps can now be built. I first saw one on a thread by Antonio65 .It was fantastic! That certainly would have come in useful to me.

As for the Chez Catbird house....We had another vet visit today. Mama and Muffin had their updates on everything. The vet still has the flea medicine ( includes worm and heart worm treatment) on back order! They suggested a Seresto collar for Mama since she is sensitive to flea bites. I won’t be using that unless we cannot get the other forms of treatment! Although these cats are strictly indoor cats, collars scare me.
Mama was very upset at having her carrier door shut for the ride. An open carrier is fine, just don’t shut the door!:doh: All the practice I have done with them being in the carrier but I failed to practice shutting them inside in the house! Lol Once we were at the vet office, this is what happened.

Mama exited the carrier onto the exam table as soon as the door was opened.:running:
766D836B-CD2E-4BF6-B94E-8551A94F16C1.jpeg

As soon as she was out, she was fine!
42D355D1-FBB6-4C90-97CF-E1BD09CB4955.jpeg

She loved the vet and offered purrs.
978F4AAA-C0C9-4F9E-90ED-E3B8D0A1D89B.jpeg

She wasn’t too sure about returning home though.:jawdrop: She’d like to stay? Lol She finally did go back into the carrier but the vet was very flattered that she was happy being there.
9825951F-C7CD-42C6-B383-E72C45B1163E.jpeg

Mama got a good report. No issues! Yay!
Then it was on to Muffin. She never complained about being in the carrier until she heard Mama complain. Uh oh! If Mama yelled then Muffin answered! I guess she was sympathizing and comforting Mama. Luckily for all, it didn’t last.

Muffin preferred to stay in her carrier. Treats were offered by the vet as a bribe.
90BAE6AE-C1A9-48C2-900D-4223B0EE8667.jpeg

Muffin could not be bribed! She’s a smart cat.
6694E09B-EB48-490E-900A-0991D2081195.jpeg

Muffin decided to just relax and enjoy the view from inside the carrier.
AE4453FB-1156-4299-B852-1D4DE4F5EEEA.jpeg

Once again, the top loading carriers are great. The vet examined Muffin from above!
ADBE3DC4-727B-4C1C-A3E0-173A429EDC4E.jpeg

She decided to play her own game with us and purred loudly into the stethoscope!!
856EA01F-C6B3-4CB8-91FA-930AF703C7C6.jpeg

Once the exam and shots were over, she exited the carrier! :flail:The cats always win!
5C6DDCD6-672A-42A8-AD8F-DD50D19DDF81.jpeg

Muffin also got a clean bill of health.
I didn’t even need forgiveness when we got home. They really weren’t upset with me. :purr: I guess there’s no place like home and it’s always nice to get back to your own bed.
Thank you to the vet! Thank you to the kitties for being such good patients and travelers!
Now I’m tired! Lol About thirty pounds of cats and carriers today! It was a day for big girls!:redtabby: This saga will continue with the next cats to get checkups! :kitty: They are all wondering, who will be next?!?!?!?
I did see something really special on my door today. I just love these!
F9A08A6E-5DE5-4E40-AF3C-F845A6537828.jpeg

This Luna moth stayed put today. I expect it will leave tonight but I loved getting a chance to see another one up close.
I am off to tend kitties! I’m going to try and catch the moth by the light of the moon tonight.:bluebutterfly: Have a great night everyone!!:heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those eggs sound beautiful! Great idea with the silk thread. All is well at Chez Catbird!

I Understand the reasoning behind the heavy ear tip but , ouch! I always feel so awful for the cats! Another good reason to Spay/ neuter and stop the suffering of dumped and feral cats. End the cycle of breeding colonies, rescue, socialize and rehome where possible. One day I hope that things will be different. Maybe colonies will at least become small enough that a chip could be used. I am betting technology could be produced that can read chips at a distance. I imagine that traps could read a chip and be triggered or not depending on the reading or lack of chip. Remote controls for traps can now be built. I first saw one on a thread by Antonio65 .It was fantastic! That certainly would have come in useful to me.

As for the Chez Catbird house....We had another vet visit today. Mama and Muffin had their updates on everything. The vet still has the flea medicine ( includes worm and heart worm treatment) on back order! They suggested a Seresto collar for Mama since she is sensitive to flea bites. I won’t be using that unless we cannot get the other forms of treatment! Although these cats are strictly indoor cats, collars scare me.
Mama was very upset at having her carrier door shut for the ride. An open carrier is fine, just don’t shut the door!:doh: All the practice I have done with them being in the carrier but I failed to practice shutting them inside in the house! Lol Once we were at the vet office, this is what happened.

Mama exited the carrier onto the exam table as soon as the door was opened.:running:
View attachment 282020
As soon as she was out, she was fine!
View attachment 282021
She loved the vet and offered purrs.
View attachment 282022
She wasn’t too sure about returning home though.:jawdrop: She’d like to stay? Lol She finally did go back into the carrier but the vet was very flattered that she was happy being there.
View attachment 282023
Mama got a good report. No issues! Yay!
Then it was on to Muffin. She never complained about being in the carrier until she heard Mama complain. Uh oh! If Mama yelled then Muffin answered! I guess she was sympathizing and comforting Mama. Luckily for all, it didn’t last.

Muffin preferred to stay in her carrier. Treats were offered by the vet as a bribe.
View attachment 282024
Muffin could not be bribed! She’s a smart cat.
View attachment 282025
Muffin decided to just relax and enjoy the view from inside the carrier.
View attachment 282026
Once again, the top loading carriers are great. The vet examined Muffin from above!
View attachment 282027
She decided to play her own game with us and purred loudly into the stethoscope!!
View attachment 282028
Once the exam and shots were over, she exited the carrier! :flail:The cats always win!
View attachment 282029
Muffin also got a clean bill of health.
I didn’t even need forgiveness when we got home. They really weren’t upset with me. :purr: I guess there’s no place like home and it’s always nice to get back to your own bed.
Thank you to the vet! Thank you to the kitties for being such good patients and travelers!
Now I’m tired! Lol About thirty pounds of cats and carriers today! It was a day for big girls!:redtabby: This saga will continue with the next cats to get checkups! :kitty: They are all wondering, who will be next?!?!?!?
I did see something really special on my door today. I just love these!View attachment 282031
This Luna moth stayed put today. I expect it will leave tonight but I loved getting a chance to see another one up close.
I am off to tend kitties! I’m going to try and catch the moth by the light of the moon tonight.:bluebutterfly: Have a great night everyone!!:heartshape:
I'm also enthralled by those huge green eyes!
And as if that's not enough, a magnificent luna moth! We don't see them out here in la-la land, but I did see a real live one once, when I was small and absolutely butterfly-and-moth-obsessed. I've never forgotten how breathtakingly beautiful this moth was!
Excellent report on the vet visits! *And aren't you glad you have not had to deal with some of the heavy hitters in this furmily, namely, angels Nicolas (22 lbs. in his prime!), Calo (17.2 and solid!) and Sammi (13.2)?!! :redtabby::redtabby::redtabby: We grow 'em big here! :goldstar:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am mesmerized by Muffins green eyes. I like your idea about the chips that the traps can read, very cool. I also want to be able to use the chip to track a mom cats
movements so we can find where she is hiding her kittens.
Tracking is already done with other forms of wildlife. I put this idea forth to someone recently who works for a company that produces these sorts of things. Everyone else should spread these ideas too! A chip reading trap and a feral cat chip that can be tracked. Just copy and paste this and send it out there! Just imagine how much would be learned about cats, ferals in particular. Where do they hide out? Do they feed at more than one neighborhood house? Colony keepers could find hurt kitties quickly! Lost kitties could be tracked instead of owners just hoping that they will turn up with someone who goes to the trouble of taking them to a vet to be checked for a chip! Of course the companies that already supply these services might be the best source to approach about extending abilities. All could be very good for the kitties!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am mesmerized by Muffins green eyes. I like your idea about the chips that the traps can read, very cool. I also want to be able to use the chip to track a mom cats movements so we can find where she is hiding her kittens.
I’ll post a better picture of Muffin that really shows the nice color to me. I missed posting it earlier. Lol I love the color too.

I'm also enthralled by those huge green eyes!
And as if that's not enough, a magnificent luna moth! We don't see them out here in la-la land, but I did see a real live one once, when I was small and absolutely butterfly-and-moth-obsessed. I've never forgotten how breathtakingly beautiful this moth was!
Excellent report on the vet visits! *And aren't you glad you have not had to deal with some of the heavy hitters in this furmily, namely, angels Nicolas (22 lbs. in his prime!), Calo (17.2 and solid!) and Sammi (13.2)?!! :redtabby::redtabby::redtabby: We grow 'em big here! :goldstar:
It seems that my kitties run from the smallest , Lady at 8 lbs.( she’s a delicate little lady) to around 18 or 19 if memory serves me and they haven’t gained any! Mackie was always huge and Dolly is a chunky fella. The Bengal boys are just solid as rocks! I am looking at the weight taken today though. They have Muffin as heavier than Mama. That might be right but Mama is round. Lol Muffin is sister to the B. Boys though. Maybe she has that muscular weight too. I’m going to have to get a new scale. My old one gave up the ghost somewhere near the end of the hundred. :lol: It was exhausted. Lots and lots of kitten weighing was going on!
I’m lucky I don’t cats weighing what yours weigh! Together, that’s close to half my weight! If you get them to stretch out end to end then they are probably a lot taller than I am! Hmmmm. I wonder if I could teach the kitties here to help me reach things in my cabinets?:flail: I could use the help.

Wow, your cats are perfect little angels at the vet. I'm speechless. :eek2:
Not exactly! Mama did yell at me! As soon as I shut the carrier. That made Muffin cry. Luckily it passed. Just wait until it’s time for Precious or the B. Boys to have their updates! A different story is very likely! I always take my gloves. Just in case.;)

Me too. Simply beautiful. :hearthrob:

That's really cool. Is it as big as it looks?
The moth is huge. I guess about 5 to 5 and 1/2 inches across. I have always loved them. I see them fairly often here along with the Sphinx moth. That’s another large one. There’s a pretty pink and yellow one here too. It’s not as big as those but still large.

Here’s the photo of Muffin I accidently left out. Luna moth eyes! :D
2ED4488D-44EE-4CCC-9FF1-70F867F81E40.jpeg

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a Luna or Sphinx moth, but we did find a dead Cecropia moth still clinging to a telephone pole that was of a similar size.
The moth you mentioned is the largest native moth in North American! Awesome! It’s in the same family as the Sphinx moth. Very beautiful creatures. Are you sure it was dead? They do freeze in place during the day. If it was then hopefully it had found a mate and they had reproduced for the next year. The Hummingbird moth is one of my favorites too. The first time I saw one I was puzzled. It looked so much like a humming bird as it darted from flower to flower but there was a difference. After a few minutes I realized it was a moth! Another of my favorites is smaller but very pretty. A Rosy Maple moth. It lives where there are Maple and Oak trees. I have a photo of that one that I took last year. I love the fuzzy head and body.
12AB69B3-903E-4177-8BB5-8044F535BD1C.jpeg

The kitties had lots of things to show me outside!
53AC4390-4FDC-48D2-A95A-5D1EA77A3D94.jpeg

If you have ever heard the term “wooly bear”, this is what that came from.
CD963C67-E58C-4BFF-A40B-64072E54D8B4.jpeg

It is a very large caterpillar.
F17E4404-ED10-40EF-810B-CB34EF0C2927.jpeg

I love these!
6F0D912E-847C-46D1-9735-AF6448A08667.jpeg

I’m always putting these guys back outside. They jump in the door at night and the cats think they are wonderful! They chase them and carry them around but they don’t hurt them. At least not before I get them away. The babies are really adorable and tiny. Far smaller than a dime!
BBFF259F-CE86-4995-BB4F-256D3935EC4E.jpeg

25DF56FD-4946-4EC0-9EED-0BA84A47F701.jpeg

No kitty can’t resist watching all these fun things. I tend to keep curtains tied back and blinds up during the day so the show is available for everyone. :popcorn:At night the show is more likely to scare the kitties so I close everything up. Raccoons and opossums send some of the kitties behind furniture and into the closets! :running:Goldie, Blue and Mountain are especially scared of the Raccoons.:coldcat:It took me some time to understand what was frightening them. They began to hide every night. It turned out that we had a raccoon that liked to look in the window at them!:shocked: It startled me the first time I saw it looking back at me! Curtains remained closed at night after that. Dolly plays with toys but sleeps through everything else. The Bengal boys welcome everything that moves as a possible plaything!:lovecat: BJ is more likely to try and rush at anything that comes up. He’s the guard of the house now. :angrycat: He’ll get between the curtains and the window where he can see out if he hears anything outside. Every cat is different!:lovecat::coldcat::angrycat::sleepycat:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm quite sure it was dead. It was a warm summer evening when we came across it, and it never moved when I touched it. I also have seen a hummingbird moth- exactly once. It was the day of my mother-in-law's funeral. The ironic part? She had always loved hummingbirds, and had numerous items with that theme.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Bengal boys welcome everything that moves as a possible plaything!
Demi's the same way, I've seen him trying to befriend raccoons and he's always happy when the neighbor's cats come over to visit him. I can tell when Maggie sees a cat because I hear bang, bang, bang on the window because she wants to punch it. :devilish:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm quite sure it was dead. It was a warm summer evening when we came across it, and it never moved when I touched it. I also have seen a hummingbird moth- exactly once. It was the day of my mother-in-law's funeral. The ironic part? She had always loved hummingbirds, and had numerous items with that theme.
I’m so sorry about your Mother-in-law. I think it’s interesting that you saw a hummingbird moth at that particular time. I have heard many similar stories about hummingbirds, butterflies and beautiful Moths showing up at times like that. Some people do believe it is symbolic. A kind of ironic story about the day of my daughter’s funeral. As we left the house the weather was grey and warm ,as though it would rain. I commented that I had wished for a beautiful day for her. As we pulled out of the drive the chauffeur commented on a noise. It was a soft rustling sound. It was snow swirling around the limo! It surrounded us the whole drive as though we were inside a snow globe. A few of the people closest to me were coming from the opposite direction and also had the snow. None of the other people who attended saw it. Hmmmm. After that the sky cleared and it was a beautiful day of blue sky and sunshine. We rarely ever get snow here but of all the times it has snowed, that was the most beautiful to me. There were Pelicans flying over us throughout the funeral and every time I return I see them. Near the ocean they are seen as special messengers by the older sailors. Unusual things happen in this world. I choose to see them as wonderful and positive and wonderful moments. A lovely gift from nature.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi's the same way, I've seen him trying to befriend raccoons and he's always happy when the neighbor's cats come over to visit him. I can tell when Maggie sees a cat because I hear bang, bang, bang on the window because she wants to punch it. :devilish:
Heh! Demi is the official welcome committee and Maggie is the Security guard! :lol:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Cecropia is a gorgeous moth, too. And how about the Atlas moth? Another one I love is the Buffalo Moth. They aren't that large, but they are beautiful. One spent several days on our mailbox two houses ago and I put a note up on the mailbox advising the postal carrier not to harm it or remove it.
As for raccoons, possums, squirrels, and others, we welcome them and are all very interested in observing them when they visit -- outside, and we are inside.
Jcatbird Jcatbird That Rosy Maple Moth is absolutely lovely! Speaking of raccoons, have you seen the "fat wobble cat"?
Ring #AlwaysHome
I laughed and laughed when I saw this!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry about your Mother-in-law. I think it’s interesting that you saw a hummingbird moth at that particular time. I have heard many similar stories about hummingbirds, butterflies and beautiful Moths showing up at times like that. Some people do believe it is symbolic. A kind of ironic story about the day of my daughter’s funeral. As we left the house the weather was grey and warm ,as though it would rain. I commented that I had wished for a beautiful day for her. As we pulled out of the drive the chauffeur commented on a noise. It was a soft rustling sound. It was snow swirling around the limo! It surrounded us the whole drive as though we were inside a snow globe. A few of the people closest to me were coming from the opposite direction and also had the snow. None of the other people who attended saw it. Hmmmm. After that the sky cleared and it was a beautiful day of blue sky and sunshine. We rarely ever get snow here but of all the times it has snowed, that was the most beautiful to me. There were Pelicans flying over us throughout the funeral and every time I return I see them. Near the ocean they are seen as special messengers by the older sailors. Unusual things happen in this world. I choose to see them as wonderful and positive and wonderful moments. A lovely gift from nature.
It is sad that many in industrialized societies seem to be so apart from spirituality and nature that they no longer believe in/are aware of these phenomena. They can be extremely comforting.
Right before our Calo angel left us, this white dove came to visit us. (S)he returned over several days, and when Calo passed, was never seen again.
IMG_2638.JPG

Dreams and omens are given to us for many reasons -- to comfort, to inform, sometimes to warn. I am not a believer in pop-culture trends or "mindfulness" or any of that stuff, but I do come from traditions of being aware of these gifts.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I imagine that traps could read a chip and be triggered or not depending on the reading or lack of chip.
I also want to be able to use the chip to track a mom cats movements so we can find where she is hiding her kittens.
YES! To both of the above! And I know that the technology exists. It would be similar to the pet doors and automatic feeders that unlock for a collar. And we already track wildlife, we just need a smaller version that can be chipped.

I am mesmerized by Muffins green eyes.
Lord, yes! Those eyes are hypnotic.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is sad that many in industrialized societies seem to be so apart from spirituality and nature that they no longer believe in/are aware of these phenomena. They can be extremely comforting.
Right before our Calo angel left us, this white dove came to visit us. (S)he returned over several days, and when Calo passed, was never seen again.
View attachment 282113
Dreams and omens are given to us for many reasons -- to comfort, to inform, sometimes to warn. I am not a believer in pop-culture trends or "mindfulness" or any of that stuff, but I do come from traditions of being aware of these gifts.
You gave me chills about the dove. We should all be aware of the world around us. I have seen many amazing things in my lifetime. They should not go unnoticed or we miss out of the wonders of our world!

Speaking of noticing things!!!!
I just responded to @Jack Nubbins
OMG! The only person in a neighborhood who noticed the feral cats and acted upon it. Now that person is faced with neighbors who did not notice until the cats got a few birds or showed up in their yards. The cats are spayed/neutered thanks to their neighbor but now they want the few remaining gone immediately. Anyone with any tips to help there, I would really appreciate you sharing with them! In a big hurry!

YES! To both of the above! And I know that the technology exists. It would be similar to the pet doors and automatic feeders that unlock for a collar. And we already track wildlife, we just need a smaller version that can be chipped.
Chipping and technology could be a great help! The more we discuss the ideas and the needs, the more likely it is that these things will come to pass!

Lord, yes! Those eyes are hypnotic.
The eyes got me thinking. I want to post this now to try and send help to the aforementioned new member but I’ll be back!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Help needed here! A new member who has been doing great things and needs the support of people here!
Having Trouble With Outside Cats.

You all know I feel it’s important if I copied and pasted! That is very rare for me to do.
All cats are important ! A whole colony is at risk here.

Status
Not open for further replies.