My Female Cat Was Spayed 2 Weeks Ago And Still In Heat???

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My female cat was spayed recently and has gone into another heat cycle. Is this normal? When will the heat periods finally end?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she was spayed, she should not be able to come into heat again. What behaviors are you seeing that make her appear to be in heat?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
This shouldn’t happen. I would recommend checking in with your vet. Sometimes, but rarely, after spays, pieces of the reproductive tract are left inside the cat, which can cause them to go back into heat.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ovarian-remnant-syndrome-in-cats

There might be other possible causes, too, that I’m not aware of (I’m not a vet), so that’s why I would definitely advise you to make an appointment with your vet, to get her fully checked over.

EDIT: fixed a typo

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. She's calling, rubbing, and rolling on the floor like she did prior to spay. She's in no pain, still plays, eats, etc... as normally otherwise.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is displaying all those behaviors, I would definitely take her in to the vet as abyeb abyeb suggested!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a recent thread on TCS about this problem. After the owner learned of the possibility of remaining reproductive tissue from the thread, they took the cat back to the vet.There was remaining tissue. Vet removed it, problem solved.

Hopefully, a moderator might be able to recover the thread for you.

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may be that part of her ovaries or uterus is left over and is causing her to go into heat. Take her to the vet... They should be able to fix it with another surgery. :)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I learned something today. Didn't know this was possible. Both mine are spayed and neutered and fortunately have not displayed any of those things you mentioned.

Did you bring her back to the vet?