My female cat is OBSESSED with one of my other cats. Can cats fall in love?

Brittykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! I’m so glad I found this community of cat lovers like me!
I’ve had cats and been around them my whole life, but never experienced anything like this.

I live in Rhode Island, but in 2019 I flew to Orlando, Fl, my hometown, to visit family. While down there, we came across a sweet, stray black cat that was so helpless and famished sitting in a parking lot the hot sun. Me being me, immediately got her food and water, and my crazy cat lady self ended up taking her BACK home to Rhode Island with my on the airplane so she could get the vet care she needed! (JetBlue- Jet With Your Pet)

I didn’t intend on keeping this cat since I already had 4, but she grew on me and she became my loving 5th edition to my kitty clan, Vampira.

And Vampira is an awesome cat, I have to say, I guess it’s from being a stray and living on the street for so long, but she isn’t bothered by ANYTHING. Not even the vacuum cleaner. I mean, she is seriously the ultimate definition of chill that you could ever expect for a cat.
And once I got her home, I could tell she wouldn’t really be an issue, but— Being that I already had 4 cats- 2 males, Darwin and Leo and 2 females- Miss. Sass and Tula, you always expect there to be some ruffled tails when you introduce a 5th member to the group, which there definitely was on my cats’ part. They were not thrilled.

Now, a little personality backstory is necessary to understand why this situation is so weird.
Darwin is my oldest. I also found him as a stray, in Florida, before I moved up north about 5 years before this. He was a little kitten when I found him. About 6 months later after I moved, a co-worker gave me Leo (didn’t want him so I took him) and I quickly got the vibe from Darwin he wanted very little or nothing to do with Leo. They didn’t fight, but you could just tell Darwin was not the type of cat that wanted cat friends. Ok- that’s understandable. I have a feeling he was abandoned very early by his mother, maybe he was his only surviving litter mate and was never socialized with other cats early in his life.

That’s just who he is and that’s fine.
He co-exists with my other cats without a problem as long as they don’t bother him and give him his space, which they all leave him alone for the most part.

Now, here’s where the weirdness kicks in.
As soon as I brought Vampira home, and she locked eyes on Darwin for the first time, it was like LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT for her. She locked eyes on him and wouldn’t let go. She was absolutely mesmerized by him and just looked at him in awe.
This has gone on for over a year since Vampira has been here.
I’m talking, nothing else matters when Darwin is in her presence. She will just sit and watch him. No matter what he’s doing. If he’s eating, sleeping, she is there. She is not like this with ANY of my other cats.
Because she was a non-neutered female cat, she ended up getting pregnant with a litter of kittens before I could get her fixed, and she would even stop nursing her kittens to go and stalk/watch Darwin.
She tries to approach him, she puts her tail up and meows softly at him, it’s like she’s seriously talking to him trying to convince him she’s okay. But because Darwin is the way he is, he wants NOTHING to do with her, and especially because she tries so hard to get his attention and is constantly lurking in his space, he is bothered when she’s around. My cats are indoor/outsoor so they come and go as they please, and sometimes I’ll catch him waiting by the door to go out, and Vampira has him cornered meowing at him with her tail up...
(She usually doesn’t meow because I think her voicebox was damaged from being stray for so long so her meow is raspy... so this is not something she does often when Darwin is not around)

it’s just so bizarre, and also heartbreaking to watch because Darwin seriously wants nothing to do with her.
I’m just wondering if anyone has any idea what this obsession with Darwin could be. It makes me so sad to think if only Darwin was friendly, they could develop this amazing relationship.
My imagination likes to tell me it’s because they are both from Florida and Darwin is actually her long lost kitten lol even though I know that’s not true.

what do you guys think?
I’ve attached tons of photos throughout the last year so you can see what lengths she goes to, just to be near him.

Thanks for reading!! I’d love to hear your opinions

Attachments

Moonlight Skywriter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes sounnds crazy but Cats DO FALL IN LOVE... it happens.. My old cat Koko, was gay boy cat. WHEN I bought in my Stray Meow boy black and white tux found him hungry near my house bought him in, Koko would not leave him alone. HE would kiss him, coddle him and then Sweet Tea would do the same another boy.. Now I have Brandy newly adopted and the others do not go near him... dont know why. Koko is no longer around neither is Meow.. When Koko passed, Meow got very very ill... I thought he was going to die.. but he had Sweet Tea and he did not care for him. YES cats can fall in love.. its possible.. so cute though.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
They are adorable and Darwin is a very handsome boy. Definitely cats fall in love and bond. Years ago I had a big white male cat, Milo, who completely fell for a rescued kitten, Alix, a tortie. They were literally attached at the hip for 13 years. If one moved, the other one moved. I also have a bonded pair of ferals who are TNRed but live outside. Spock is an older b/w male and Merle is a young b/w female. Oddly, both of these pairs were an older male and a younger female.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Such cute pics! I suppose there is some possibility of 'love' from Vampira - that is discarded by Darwin. But, how do the other cats and Vampira interact? If they do well, she may just be a very sociable cat that wants all her her 'buddies' to like her. And, I also got the impression that Darwin isn't particularly fond of any of your other cats, not just Vampira. The other cats take than 'in stride' but apparently not Vampira.

I think that Darwin is your alpha - and sometimes, younger cats are drawn to the alpha. As long as there are no disputes, and no one is suffering in any consequential way, you just have to let these cats be what they want. and feel they, need to be.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes sounnds crazy but Cats DO FALL IN LOVE... it happens.. My old cat Koko, was gay boy cat. WHEN I bought in my Stray Meow boy black and white tux found him hungry near my house bought him in, Koko would not leave him alone. HE would kiss him, coddle him and then Sweet Tea would do the same another boy.. Now I have Brandy newly adopted and the others do not go near him... dont know why. Koko is no longer around neither is Meow.. When Koko passed, Meow got very very ill... I thought he was going to die.. but he had Sweet Tea and he did not care for him. YES cats can fall in love.. its possible.. so cute though.
Cats CAN'T be gay. Sorry.