My Female cat has gone Feral, bc new kitten

Cheerio&Yeti

CatsCatsCatsBacon
Kitten
Purraise
I got a new kitten a week or so ago, and my two year old cat Cheerio won't even let me touch her, I am guessing it because I smell like her. She jumps on me to snuggle and I am guessing she smelt the kitten and proceeded to growl and hiss at me. It like she gone feral, I picked her up and she just screamed. Cheerios is my baby girl, and I don't want to get rid of this new kitten. I've read the form to introducing a kitten a Cat, but some of the info doesn't seem to work. I really don't know what to do.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She isn’t feral or going feral. She is just not happy because of the newcomer and because you probably smell like the kitten. She will get over it, you just need to give her time. I would not try to pick her up but otherwise keep up your routines with her. You can try Feliway or even catnip to help calm her.

You need to be patient and give her time. I certainly wouldn’t give up the kitten so early in the introduction process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheerio&Yeti

CatsCatsCatsBacon
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I am Too invested into this Kitten, to get rid of her. I'll try the Nip then. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1-2 weeks is not long at all in a cat's world, she'll get over it in time. I agree with the above, don't try to force her into anything, just stroke her and offer treats. She could display redirected aggression, which means she is upset with the new kitten but will direct aggression to you if you scare/bother her. Kittens are more easily accepted, but they are always on the move, which startles older cats, and want to play, which annoys them, so it will take a while. They WILL become friends, but not until your older girl gets used to her, which often takes weeks to months. Just watch the interactions so your older cat doesn't hurt the kitten. Growling, hissing, and even pinning to the floor by the back of the neck are all normal, the kitten must learn that the older cat is boss now and needs to learn manners and limits. Just let them see each other as much as possible and give your older girl a high up hiding place to get away, my Chrissy spent months on top of the fridge.