my fat cat

baresalot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
help me some one i have a very longed haired maine coon house cat. i think her daddy was a racoon
anyway she cant lose weight and im having a problem wiith her butt.everytime she pees she gets all weight. the vet say she needs to lose weight. ive tried she cant anyway is this normal for maine coons? she smells real muskly too and always has a soggy bottom. shes so fat she cant clean herself too. help me

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of diet have you tried so far? Is the vet saying that the smell and such is because of the weight? I have never heard of this problem to this extreme. Maybe theres a medical reason for the musty smell. I will say that I have a Maine Coon wanna be. He is not obese, but on the large side. The older he has gotten, the lazier he has gotten. He has been to the vet and has checked out okay. What I have done, since he wont let me brush his belly and he doesnt groom there very often...I have him shaved like a lion every summer and then by winter it is getting full again. Of course he is a strictly indoor cat. You might want to try getting her hair cut or trimmed around that area.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think that if your vet says that the cat is obese, you should discuss a weight loss plan with him or her.

Check out this article.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baresalot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by Anne
I think that if your vet says that the cat is obese, you should discuss a weight loss plan with him or her.

Check out this article.
hay she has been on a diet for over a yr. she doesnt really eat much anyway. the main problem is that her butt is always wet and musky smelling.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, on the diet end you might try breaking up what she does eat into several meals a day. The experts say this can help boost the metabolism. I have a formula, so you can figure out how much her caloric intake should be a day, if you want it, I will post it.
As far as the odor, honestly..she may look dumb, but you might just want to keep the hairs clipped or shaved close to the skin. It's probably going to be your best bet with the mess and smell..