My elderly Aunt left her 18 year old cat with me who urinates everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarlyRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your beautiful words. And you are right that IF my Aunt had taken Silver with her then Silver would have suffered even more. I still remember my words to my Aunt around a year ago when I noticed Silver was drinking excessive water which was "Silver needs to see a vet" and my Aunt replied I don't have the money.

I do regret that I didn't take Silver myself (though my Aunt may have fought me on that) to the vet a year ago when Silver could have been helped. The vet said that Silver also might have had Kidney Disease but he didn't want to up my bill by doing more tests. He was 100% sure that Silver needed to be put to sleep based on his examination. He sounded so sad.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is really sad. Very sad that she was suffering but you have really been an "Angel of Mercy" for her by caring enough to notice something was wrong and take her to the vet. If not for you, who knows how long she could have suffered.

You definitely did everything you could for her. And you were definitely a comfort to her in the end, or else she wouldn't have wanted to be with you on your bed all the time. Cats can tell and need someone who cares like you did.

Now Silver will be able to rest in peace and I'm sure it is a relief for her. And Rocky can come back to his place on your bed, which Im sure will be a comfort to you when you are sad. :grouphug:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry about Silver. You were dropped into a situation which was already out of hand and it was up to you to do damage control, even if it was beyond that point. You need to give yourself a great deal of credit for intervening logically and kindly for Silver. You were proactive and took her to a vet who was able to make a diagnosis...not the one that you wanted, but to at least see what was happening with Silver and give you pertinent information.

At Silver's age I would not have prolonged anything. My cat vet would not have agreed to any attempted surgery given all the complications that Silver could face, and most likely that she would not survive.

CarlyRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On the medical paper from my Vet he wrote Fractured Tail, Peripheral paralysis, Unable to urinate or defecate normally, Suspect Renal Failure.

I woke up this morning and I couldn't stop crying. I really miss Silver! And my cat Rocky has been sleeping in my Mom's closet and is ignoring me. I don't understand why he is doing this.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My heart is so heavy, but a corner of it sings that, at the end, Silver was with people who put her good above anything else, and that she left this world truly loved and valued. Thank you. Know that now, in the Place Where All Things Are Known, Silver blesses you for caring about her and doing your very best for her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On the medical paper from my Vet he wrote Fractured Tail, Peripheral paralysis, Unable to urinate or defecate normally, Suspect Renal Failure.

I woke up this morning and I couldn't stop crying. I really miss Silver! And my cat Rocky has been sleeping in my Mom's closet and is ignoring me. I don't understand why he is doing this.
Rocky knows. Cats do. He is dealing with a loss of a housemate in his own way. Some cats, just like some people, need to be alone with grief. Others need company. Let him do this in his own way. He'll adjust to her being gone, and be more himself soon.

CarlyRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I think Rocky knew that Silver was dying as well. I will give Rocky time to adjust. He used to approach Silver and try to smell her but would back off when Silver would hiss at him.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss. Im sure Rocky will come around too, like Mamanyt1953 said he is probably dealing with her death too, Im sure you are right that Rocky knew something wasnt right with her. Animals just sense everything and he could probably smell it too

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So very sorry to read the news about Silver. We'll lock the thread now out of respect for your loss, and we invite you to post a tribute to your sweet girl in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.