My dry cat food is about to expire, should I give it to them?

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, hope you all are doing well.
So the thing is, I found a new cat food, and ordered it, to give it a try for my cats. But the problem that arose was, the seller has given me an about to get exired packet, that is going to expire in 16 days. should I feed that to my cats. The packet was sealed and I just opened it. Or should I stop giving it to them on expired date?
Thank you for kind suggestion.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all, hope you all are doing well.
So the thing is, I found a new cat food, and ordered it, to give it a try for my cats. But the problem that arose was, the seller has given me an about to get exired packet, that is going to expire in 16 days. should I feed that to my cats. The packet was sealed and I just opened it. Or should I stop giving it to them on expired date?
Thank you for kind suggestion.
Email him/her and see if you can get a refund or at least let them know what happened. Feeding it should be ok. Of course for any food best way to tell is by smell and how it looks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's looking fine, and doesn't have any pungent smell so far. I contact the seller but no mail so far. Maybe I can get refund or maybe not. Though I placed an order for new cat food, from other site (from which I normally order) but it's going to take time. So was thinking of using this cat food as a transition one for my cats.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I used a bag of expired dry cat food. At first I hesitated, then used some . My crazy cats seemed to like it better !! :headscratch: 🐈

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on how big this bag of food is.
I mean, if you open it and you think you could use it up within the next month or so, I wouldn't bother about the expiry date. If the bag is big enough to last months, then it's up to you.
Right now, I'm giving my outdoor cats some wet food that I bought a year ago for my indoor cats, but they didn't like it (though they used to eat it before), and I put it away, until I found it again a few days ago and realized it had expired in March.
My outdoor cats are eating it no problem, they like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GretaChitti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends on how big this bag of food is.
I mean, if you open it and you think you could use it up within the next month or so, I wouldn't bother about the expiry date. If the bag is big enough to last months, then it's up to you.
Right now, I'm giving my outdoor cats some wet food that I bought a year ago for my indoor cats, but they didn't like it (though they used to eat it before), and I put it away, until I found it again a few days ago and realized it had expired in March.
My outdoor cats are eating it no problem, they like it.
If it's not going to give any health problem in my cats, then I will give it till it's best before date. And after that I can feed this to a stray or outdoor cat that I feed, if it's not going to do any harm to him.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Years ago, they never had expiration dates on any food people or animals I have had food that expired months ago, wasn’t opened and I used it, didn’t get sick.
I think if any food that was bad that was accidentally or whatever given to an animal, they know not to eat it

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would freeze it in smaller portions to keep it fresh and be on the safe side.