My dog, Wilbur....

Status
Not open for further replies.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We just can't seem to get a break lately. :sigh: :shame: Just so much going on in our lives and it still feels like we are battling a storm. :storm:

My :heart3: dog, Wilbur, has been at the Evet for the last day and night. We just got him home this morning after seeing his "regular" vet. He has heart disease, an enlarged heart, high BP and low oxygen in his blood and that has been causing the rapid/shallow breathing and the reason we rushed him to the vet Sunday morning. He was in an oxygen cage for the night. His BP was very, very high and dangerously so. All I wanted was for him to be stable enough for us to bring him home today so the vet could come over to "set him free". Well, Wilbur will have none of that and insists that he wants to fight on. :soldier: He is on three heart meds and I need to watch him closely over the next days. Like a helicopter mom. :heart2: It will be touch and go to see if the meds will stabilize him. The vets AND Wilbur want to give the meds a chance. We will not let him suffer and are ready (as much as we can be) to let his old body rest. But for this moment and this day, we will try. The vets say that these new heart meds (from Europe) can really give a pet some more quality of life. And, that is all we want at this point.

Yesterday, July 7, marked 7 years to the day that we rescued Wilbur's brother, Henry, from his life with his other family whom could not deal with his anxieties and phobias. At that time, Wilbur was just diagnosed with Mast cell cancer which he has since overcome. Henry was a blessing and I was grateful to have him come into our lives the way he did. Yesterday was Henry's seven year annv. with us. The boys are 14 1/2 yrs. old. Also, on the way to the Evet. We saw a rainbow in the sky, Larry and I. It was not raining - only misting in the distance. We thought that was the sign - it was Wilbur's time. HUH...... guess not...... not quite yet, Wilbur says.

We have been prepared so many times to let him go but I will say this.... my heart was broken in a million pieces last night feeling that this was it. I do not think I will ever be "prepared" to handle the pain and loss. The huge hole that will be my heart, never to be filled. It is something I deeply fear and dread, that emptiness. Wilbur has been my "constant" companion for 14 and a half years. A very, very, very special dog. AND, he has ALWAYS loved the cats, so very much. I know I am grateful for more time or days with him. My fear are the days after he is gone and how I will manage. I know you all know what I mean.

I am going to post some pictures here in this thread and then try to get some sleep with Wilbur today.

His actual paw print in a heart tattoo on my left forearm. I got this tattoo over two years ago. I chose that spot so that I could put my forearm to my own heart. Forever in my heart :heart3:

Wilbur on my left, Henry on right. My 50th bday - which I was grateful that he made it to!!! :clap:

Wilbur left (he always brings his dumbbell when he wants a treat) Henry right.

I love it when his left ear stands straight up!

"I help momma put away the kitty toys" :heart4:

Small angel on my back shoulder blade that watches over "Wilbur" Got this one five years ago.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, Lauren, you really are going through a tough time. As long as Wilbur is still putting up a fight, you really don't have much choice but to at least try the meds.

We went through pretty much the same thing with Jamie and his heart disease. He almost died, was extremely ill for a good week with no appetite, the vets said his time was up, but my husband kept telling me to give him a chance to recover because he hadn't lost his spirit. Jamie managed to hang on for another year, had far more good days than bad days, and told me when he was really ready to go.

There were so many times I asked myself whether I was doing the right thing, but in retrospect it was the right decision, because he still got a lot of enjoyment out of life that final year.

Mega :vibes::vibes::vibes: for Wilbur, and for you!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, I've always thought of rainbows as a sign of hope and good fortune. :sun: :heart2: I guess this time it was! :clap:

I am SO SO SO sorry for the news about Wilbur's heart disease. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: But I'm SO SO SO happy to hear he's home!

Thank you for sharing the pictures - you are gorgeous, I love the tattoos, and Wilbur and Henry are SO CUTE! You can see Henry looks a little anxious, actually - but Wilbur has such a sparkle in his eyes! :heart2:

My heart, thoughts, prayers and vibes go with you and Wilbur! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren,
. My heart goes out to you and to Wilbur. He knows that he is deeply and truly loved and you know how much he loves you, too. That will never, ever change.

As long as that sparkle is in his eyes, keep doing everything that you're doing. He will let you know when he's ready.

Bless you for loving him so much. He knows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:Tilt Heart: Thanks so much my friends.:heart: I know you all totally get what we are going through. :hugs: Tricia - I appreciate your kind words and talking about :rbheart: Jaime. It helps. :hugs:

HAPPY HAPPY UPDATE!!! SO, yesterday till about late afternoon, I was still quite unsure about what to do. Do we let him go OR do we give him another day to fight. GOOD NEWS!! Wilbur is better today!!! :woohoo: :dance: :heart3: We are certain the meds are starting to do their job and do it well. He is on Enalpril, VetMedin and Lasix for his heart and a few other medications for other things. GEESH - it is like a herd of pills that I need to get into him. We know that his heart is damaged and that his time is limited but IF the meds can give us some more quality time with him then this is all worth it. Time is all I need and will cherish these days and these memories for the rest of my life.

Today he had a bit of an appetite, a happy sparkle in his eye, a relaxed expression and has been coming around wanting a cookie or two :D, his resting respiration (when he is completely asleep) is normal and his color is nice and pink. :woo: What more can I ask for in this day..... NOTHING..... :clap: For today, he is home, he is happy and feeling good. I KNOW that we made the right decision on Sunday to forge forward and fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will live in the moment, in the present, and take each day as a precious gift. Because, that is what each day is - a gift. Wilbur has such a will to live and he proves to me over and over that miracles do happen. Thanks to God who has a hand in all of this - a BIG hand. :heart2: :heart2: Wilbur will let us know when it is his time and when he is called to the bridge. But for now, for today - it is a blessing and another day of JOY with our boy. :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: AWWWWWWWWWWWW WILBUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart3: :heart2: :heart3:

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Lauren, that is fantastic new. :) I am so happy for you and Wilbur. Keeping the :vibes: going.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologize for not responding sooner than now to your thread, Lauren. I haven't been able to tolerate sitting at the computer cuz I've had a few "bad" days dealing with my back again so I haven't logged on to TCS.

I am so sorry to hear that Wilbur's having problems again.
But I'm also glad to hear that for now, he's hanging in there and doing better.
I know how much he means to you: he is to you what my Maverick was to me, and I know how much you will be hurting & how lost you will feel when his time comes. Love him while you can, Lauren, and know in your heart that when he's gone, you did the best you could for him while he was here and he had the best life possible cuz you were his mom.
And when that time comes, I'm here for you if you need a shoulder to cry on.

BTW, I love the tattoo! I always wanted to do something like that for my Maverick, but never had the courage.
I think it's a great way to show how much you love him & will always remember him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I apologize for not responding sooner than now to your thread, Lauren. I haven't been able to tolerate sitting at the computer cuz I've had a few "bad" days dealing with my back again so I haven't logged on to TCS. :sigh:

I am so sorry to hear that Wilbur's having problems again. :eek:hno: But I'm also glad to hear that for now, he's hanging in there and doing better. :clap: I know how much he means to you: he is to you what my Maverick was to me, and I know how much you will be hurting & how lost you will feel when his time comes. Love him while you can, Lauren, and know in your heart that when he's gone, you did the best you could for him while he was here and he had the best life possible cuz you were his mom. :heart3: :rbheart: And when that time comes, I'm here for you if you need a shoulder to cry on. :hugs:

BTW, I love the tattoo! I always wanted to do something like that for my Maverick, but never had the courage. :sulk: :anon: :emba: I think it's a great way to show how much you love him & will always remember him. :heart3:
Tiff - no worries, hun. :hugs: :alright: I hope your back is alright. :cross: I know how much you suffer with that pain. :hugs: :hugs: Thank you for your words about Wilbur. I am cherishing each and every day (as I always do) with him. Fourteen and a half years has gone by way, way, way too fast. I do feel so lucky though to have had this gift of more time with him these last two years. He seems to surprise and shock us by pulling through many a health crisis. I know I am lucky that I have had more time with him than I ever expected BUT it won't make it any easier when he is gone. We pet lovers know how this feels. :hugs: :nod: A piece of our heart goes with them, never to be returned until we meet again. :cross: :heart3: :cross:

p.s. The tattoo really didn't hurt too bad... it was worth it. I actually have a few more since then. :lol2: :lol3:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't even begin to tell you how happy this update makes me!!!!!! :D :D :D

I hope he's still got that sparkle! :sun:

Wilbur is one amazing "puppy" with so many reasons to have that "fight" in him. !!! :heart2:

Aw Lauren.... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :). :heart2:

Status
Not open for further replies.