My Dog Keeps Messing Up The House.

doogylover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got this cute dog from a foreign friend. He became a part of the family ever since. He plays around with my kids most time of the day. We never got to train him though and I think it was not a good idea that we didn’t. We are starting to have behavior problems with him now. He never behaves and he rips almost everything that he can have his teeth on. He keeps getting the house messy with the things he destroys and his food that he plays with, not to mention his poop and pee around the house! We tried training him beginning with his littering but he seems to never learn. After two months, nothing has changed. What do you think should we do?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Exercise is the solution to most problems with dogs. He may need to be exercised more. Take him on longer walks every day, play fetch outside, let him run around a lot outside. And I stress the walking part. Dogs need to migrate. They get physical and mental exercise simply from leaving their property and going somewhere else.

Is he chewing things when you are away? Or when you are home too? And how old is he? Is he just a puppy and he is teething? If he is a teething puppy you can freeze his toys in water or chicken broth and give that to him to chew on. If he is chewing out of boredom or anxiety, then there are solutions to that too, but I need to know why he is chewing in the first place.

You said he is still not potty trained. How have you been trying to train him? Are you crate training him? Are you using puppy pads (I don't usually recommend those). Are you using positive reinforcement?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Exercise is the solution to most problems with dogs. Are you crate training him?
I can't stress enough the importance of both of these suggestions. Exercise is so important especially for rambunctious puppies and/or dogs. It's good for them both physically and mentally. This doesn't mean a slow walk around the block either.

How long have you been working on housebreaking him? He needs consistency, i.e. take him out within 30 minutes after he eats and repeat with 2 hour intervals. Go out with him and show him his spot in the yard if you have one. Then praise him profusely each and every time he eliminates. When he is done bring him back in the house and reward him. I completely agree with MeganLLB MeganLLB that crate training is essential for this purpose especially if you leave the house or when you are asleep. He will come to think of the crate as his den and not want to soil it. In addition, I'm not a fan of puppy pads either.

It may take a lot of work and effort on your part but it will definitely pay off if you start the training ASAP. You don't want to create or continue bad habits. Best of luck! Please feel free to post a pic of your dog, we love to see pictures. :camera:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doogylover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Exercise is the solution to most problems with dogs. He may need to be exercised more. Take him on longer walks every day, play fetch outside, let him run around a lot outside. And I stress the walking part. Dogs need to migrate. They get physical and mental exercise simply from leaving their property and going somewhere else.

Is he chewing things when you are away? Or when you are home too? And how old is he? Is he just a puppy and he is teething? If he is a teething puppy you can freeze his toys in water or chicken broth and give that to him to chew on. If he is chewing out of boredom or anxiety, then there are solutions to that too, but I need to know why he is chewing in the first place.

You said he is still not potty trained. How have you been trying to train him? Are you crate training him? Are you using puppy pads (I don't usually recommend those). Are you using positive reinforcement?
Yes, he does that most of the time. He's really teething. I just find out that today. And I do train him whenever I have free time. Anyway, thank you for your advice. Keep this in mind!