My Diy Litter Box Deodorizer.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have tried everything under the sun to keep the smell down in my house. As soon as you walk in thru the front door the odor will knock you out cold :) Not to mention it will stick to your clothes.

I’ve tried raw food, different brands of kibbles, and bought so many litter products from clay to crystals to pine pellets , store bought litter box deodorizers, to candle warmer , etc. Nothing worked! Below is what i find most helpful. I know its not the best since it contains lot different chemicals but i have no other choice.

Get yourelf a bottle of fabric softener. Cut up some newspaper or paper towels to small pieces. Crumple them up and mix 1:1 water to softener and soak. Leave them in for how ever ling you want them wring to slightly dried. Toss them in the litter box and youre golden for a few days. Repeat with new paper of course. Cheers!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just make sure your cat(s) don't attempt to eat the little soaked pieces of newspaper or paper towel. I don't know how much it would take to harm them, but it would be better if you make sure they aren't eating any of them at all.

Have you ever tried baking soda?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have gone thru at least 8 jumbo boxes of baking soda. I think BS is a myth as i tried them in my fridge, garbage can, litter boxes, garbage disposal., etc. I think its a marketing ploy they use and somehow it catches on. Sadly, the BS dint work for me.

As for my cats, theyre dumb as dried mud but they know not to eat stuffs around the house. They chew toys and occasionally a finger or two :)

Btw if anyone is leery about the chemicals in fabric softener you can try vanilla extract in the same method above or you can add a few drops to your AC filter.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
i have tried everything under the sun to keep the smell down in my house. As soon as you walk in thru the front door the odor will knock you out cold :) Not to mention it will stick to your clothes.

I’ve tried raw food, different brands of kibbles, and bought so many litter products from clay to crystals to pine pellets , store bought litter box deodorizers, to candle warmer , etc. Nothing worked! Below is what i find most helpful. I know its not the best since it contains lot different chemicals but i have no other choice.

Get yourelf a bottle of fabric softener. Cut up some newspaper or paper towels to small pieces. Crumple them up and mix 1:1 water to softener and soak. Leave them in for how ever ling you want them wring to slightly dried. Toss them in the litter box and youre golden for a few days. Repeat with new paper of course. Cheers!

I line my litter box with a puppy pad and have no odors from the box.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dumb question. Do puppy pads absorb odors or just theyre for soaking up liquid?

Another trick i read online to reduce odor is to squirt a few drops of essential oil/vanilla extract onto your AC filter.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Dumb question. Do puppy pads absorb odors or just theyre for soaking up liquid?

Another trick i read online to reduce odor is to squirt a few drops of essential oil/vanilla extract onto your AC filter.

They absorb odor. I use XL unscented and change only once a week. I never have smelled anything when I change it. They also stop stinky clumps from sticking to corners and leaving odor in box.

Last edited:

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great idea! May i ask what do you feed your cats? Is there a specific brand you can recommend for less stinky poops thanks

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow is on a grain free kibble in the morning and a Pro Plan grain free wet food in the afternoon. But her poop still stinks, not much to do about that except clean the box daily. Although some say a raw diet really helps.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive tried raws and that didnt help. Clean the litter box at least 5x a day. Have a air purifier running 24/7. Im at my wits end :(

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 resident cats and sometimes let the strays in when it gets too hot/cold outdoor. Everyone has stinky poo :(

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to your vet? this really doesn't sound normal.

I know you do everything possible for the cats, so take my suggestion with that in mind. You are having more problems than I did with plain non-clumping clay litter when I had 8 cats.

IF it helps, and I think you need to know everything that I was doing - I was feeding them Friskies canned food half a can each a day. Later with another group I was feeding Friskies canned food half a can each a day and Science diet dry food. (I wouldn't trust Science Diet right now they seem to be having problems.) I cleaned the litter box out - that is scooped it - twice a day and emptied it completely once a week. I bought the 25 lb bag of litter and poured the whole thing into the two boxes - small house- for them.

Yes, I'm sensitive to odors. It nearly did for me when they had to have liver and half of them would only eat if it was cooked.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had a thought, J Johnv713 , I wonder if the problem is what the strays are eating when not at your house. I did have outdoor cats at one time, they ate voles, shrews, chipmunks, mice and, I suspect snakes. I never saw feathers. Once they came inside and had a litter box they weren't eating these things. I'm wondering if your strays are supplementing their diets and if that is the source of the strong smell.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I admit I'm not keeping track as i should, but have you gotten all the stray males neutered? Tom cat pee is really really really strong. If you haven't you might want to get the old black light going and check out your apartment since you've let them inside, which is nice of you. They would spray to be nice too, a way of saying, "you're our guy." they don't quite get that bit right.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m pretty sure the strays eat whatever moves. However, the indoor cats poops smell just as bad. The girls are fixed but the boys arent. I guessing they all have worms/parasite. I always thought probiotics are too passive for this but maybe i should give it a try. What’s a good brand?
Thanks!

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Btw i got them on Friskies too with El Cheapo dry food. Would it make a difference if I buy a more expensive dry food? Whatd you recommend?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd really go on and get the boys fixed as soon as you can. The longer they aren't the more difficult it is for them to stop spraying. The tom cat pee smell subsides within six weeks of neutering.

I'd love to have an answer for you, but that's all I've got. I've never had that problem. I'm sorry I can't help more.