My dear Milkshake.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two years ago today, Milkshake left this world. August 30, 2020. I first met Milkshake September 2019. I went to go pick my mom up from work at 10 pm and when we got back, I heard the loudest meowing. I was trying to figure out where it was coming from. I looked over at my neighbors porch and saw him, staring straight at me, meowing. I immediately called him out, and he ran to me as fast as he could, and honestly I was a little afraid at first because of how aggressive he was for love. I went in the house and brought him back some of my inside cats food. He gobbled it up like he was starving. In the morning, he was still waiting. My neighbors came out, said they think the other neighbors threw him out, and that they, “hate cats.” I knew from that moment that he was mine. I decided to name him Milkshake for no reason other than I like Milkshakes and it seemed to fit him. He was grey, big, and so handsome. I was shocked at how long his whiskers were.

Wherever I went, he followed me. If I went to go check the mail, he followed me down our long driveway to the mailbox and then right back. If I went under my tree to sit, he came to sit with me. If I went in the backyard, he would come and stay with me. He loved our dog, Skittish. She despised him at first, but then quickly grew to love him. They laid with eachother, she was always licking him, and they would just chill out together all day. Sometimes if another male cat would come by, they would work together to run it off lol. Milkshake would do his fighting stance and meow telling it to go away, that this was his territory and Skittish would be right there running back and forth barking at it. He got very sick in November 2019 and I rushed him to the vet.I couldn’t get him in the carrier because he wouldn’t leave the bed. I just put him in the car in his cat bed and headed straight for the vet’s office. When we got there, I carried him in his bed and he stayed there the whole time. The vets were amazed by how easy going he was. He couldn’t open one of his eyes at all so they forced it open and 2 quarters worth of yellow pus came out. He had been poked in the eye, and had a terrible eye infection. If I hadn’t taken him to the vet, they said he would’ve died quickly. I was happy he showed up at my house in September because I was able to save him. He enjoyed Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas with us because of the yard decorations. He would jump in my fiancés (now husband) car and sit with him while he waited on me. He loved climbing my tree, doing zoomies around the house, and laying in the garden under the tomatoes. He would lay in the yard at night under the bird feeder while the raccoons came out and just stay there while they looked around for food. I joked that he was friends with all the animals.

Milkshake despised hot weather, so he quickly learnt that a place he could find some shade was laying underneath the car. My parents driveway is gravel so the gravels also stayed cool under there. I tried to get him to stop laying under there, but I ended up just checking for everytime before we left. On the morning of August 30, 2020, we had ran out of his favorite cat food so I was having to give him some more of my inside cats food and told him that when I went to the store later, I’d pick him up some more. I was very lazy this day. I didn’t want to do anything and laid on the couch pretty much all morning, afternoon, and evening. My grandparents called my dad and asked him to come help move their dining room table. My papaw was under a lot of stress because his sister was in the hospital, dying. My dad said sure, asked me if I wanted to go, and I said okay. I usually was the first one to always go outside, but I had to use the bathroom. Everytime my parents went outside I would tell them to check underneath the car. I forgot to say it this time. My dad forgot to look because he was worried about his Aunt. I came out of the bathroom, heard the front door close, put my shoes on, and went to the front door. My dad went on out to the car to turn it around so we could leave. I saw it as soon as it happened, and all I knew to do was run out the door. I could do nothing but scream. It came out of me and I could not stop it. I grabbed him and held him trying to help him breathe. The neighbors came running outside to ask if I was okay. I couldn’t think. I called the nearest emergency vet over an hour away, told them about his condition, and they said to bring him in. I wrapped him in a towel and held him the whole way there. I knew it was very bad. I knew he was not going to make it, but I couldn’t think of anything. My mind felt blank. When we got there and I handed him over, they came out not even a minute later and asked me if I wanted them to do CPR. I said yes. The head vet called me 30 minutes later and told me he had a severe head fracture on his left side. She told me they could try to put him in the oxygen tank to see if he would get better, but that he’s not responding to anything they’re doing to him, so she believes that he was brain dead and that it would be pointless to use all that money and try. We agreed to euthanize him. I went into that room and waited for them to bring him to me one last time. They laid him on the couch next to me. I cannot explain the amount of grief I felt. The head vet told me she would let us have a few minutes to ourselves. I took my mask off and just talked to him. I told him how sorry I was that this happened. I told him I loved him. And for the first time ever, I gave him a kiss on the forehead. I had never done that before since he was outside, but I no longer cared. When they came back and gave him the shot, he went immediately. Immediately he stopped breathing. I was heartbroken and still am to this day.

The next day I drove him to the pet cemetery to be buried and I talked to him the whole way there. I was able to compose myself while talking to the lady, but as soon as I left, I lost it. I screamed all the way home and honestly shouldn’t have been driving. I sobbed, yelling at God at why could he let this happen to such an innocent creature. How could he allow him to die like that? I felt it was unfair. A few weeks after Milkshake passed away, I was leaving the house at night to go visit my husband. I looked over at the bird feeders where he used to lay under, and I felt his presence. Call me crazy, but it seemed like he was there. That helped give me peace. He may no longer physically be here, but he is still in my heart. I will forever feel the love he gave me because he left his mark on my life.

I still struggle to this day about what I saw. Certain smells bring me back to that exact moment. In a way, it traumatized me. I really struggled with my anxiety after that, and I’m not sure if I’ve ever been the same. What happened to Milkshake was incredibly traumatic and traumatizing and is something I try not to think about. I only want to remember him in good light.

Milkshake, my baby, you made my life better in every way. When you were with me, I knew I wasn’t alone. You will forever be my kitty, and I hope to see you again someday. I love

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was a very personable cat! we will never understand why these things happen, but they do and we feel so helpless, confused and so full of pain. The beautiful story of his life is put there by you and so full of love and anguish. To be remembered and loved after death is a great honor, he feels your love and sends some of his own.
The bond you have with that precious boy is spiritual, so eternal. Nothing can break it or take it away from you. He shared your life's journey for a while and you gave him what he wanted most in this world, a home and someone to love. Try to celebrate his goodness, cherish his wonderful memories, and know you received something very treasured in this world, a cat's love. "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened."
My thoughts and prayers are with you all, may you be blessed for loving that sweet boy as much as you do......RIP dear Milkshake. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very beautiful tribute to your beloved Milkshake! He found you in his greatest time of need, after being betrayed by his previous "guardians", and you, with your awesome heart & kindred spirit, turned Milkshake's life around, giving him 4 seasons of wonderful living! What you witnessed on that tragic day was brutal horror and that can cause PTSD - it can be mental & emotional injury; if you feel like you would benefit from grief counseling, do not hesitate to reach out. Milkshake has returned to our Creator, the ancestors and those yet to be born and he will know you when the time for reunification arrives. I wish you All Happiness in your new marriage and I thank you for welcoming that wonderful cat into your life and for eloquently sharing treasured memories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your tremendously kind words. It means so much to me. He was a wonderful friend, and never showed me anything but love. I have many regrets on the day he passed. I wish I had went out and spent more time with him. Sometimes the most unexpected things happen in life, and they almost always teach the most valuable lessons. Live and love everyday like you’re not promised tomorrow. Thank you all so much again. :heartshape:🥰

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Milkshake, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

This is the deepest Truth I know, that love never dies, it changes form, is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Milkshake blesses you, and he sends his Love back to walk with you down through all your days. Because Love abides. Always forever, Love abides. You were right about that feeling...he is with you, still.

Adelina R

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry... Please know that you did your best to help him. You gave him love and he was happy with you.
Milkshake was an incredible cat! So loving and beautiful.