My Dad’s kitties

Cdunbar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m looking for advice, insight, help to handle this. I love animals more than most people and my parents were the same. Both of my parents are very ill now and my Dad just joined my Mom in a facility where they will soon be in hospice care. They have 3 kitties which I always promised them I would do good by them, take care of them. In the last 7 months I’ve become soooo attached to them, but have found out that the two indoor kitties can’t live with me. They are terrified of dogs, having lived their entire lives in a quiet home with my parents. I have 2 dogs and a very small home. I can’t do that to them and honestly would be afraid for them. My one dog Loki is a big bounding goof ball that doesn’t know his size etc. I have no choice but to rehome them. They deserve a good happy life and I can’t do that for them now. It will break my heart to say goodbye, and I’m worried that what if I can’t find a Jaime where they can be together? Oddly enough they seem very independent of each other, almost like the one isn’t the biggest fan of the other. But they’ve been together their entire lives - won’t that be horrible for them to split them up? Traumatizing? Or am I putting my hurt and fear onto them more than I should? Do cats adapt faster than dogs? I honestly don’t know much about them so hoping for advice. My brother has dogs too but he has a full basement (finished not concrete and empty) but no windows. We can’t do that either - how horrible for them. I’m not sleeping worrying about what to do because I need to figure this out in the next two weeks.
Can I separate them and not traumatize them to the extent I think I will?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your situation!

I need to figure this out in the next two weeks.
Possibly keep your brother's basement in mind as a temporary place for them which might buy you a bit more time. If you can, keep them together. Also, be sure and obtain things of theirs from the house including a couple blankets that will bring a familiar scent to their new locations.

They're going to need emotional help as well - you could consider cat music, or calming products. Also try and find ways to help your stress - exercise, chamomile tea, meditation...

Take a look at this article;
“kittens To Good Homes” – How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens – Cat Articles

Is the third cat an outside kitty?
This thread may have some helpful tips;
Have to Move and must re-home most of our cats

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here are some products. You could also consider diffusers, --feliway or another brand.

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do not adjust more quickly than dogs. I love both and have much experience with both. The kitties need to adjust at their own pace. Having anyone they already know is a huge help to them. The basement is not necessarily a bad place for them. They may even be able to be walked on a harness for a little sunshine or you could use a catio for them. If the basement has an exit to the outside, this could be the best solution. There are also “daylight” light fixtures that might be an option. The kitties will be needing as much familiarity as you can give them. If your brother does not want them then at least let them stay there as you introduce them to possible new families. It’s possible that one or both could find someone they accept. Ideally, if they both went together, they might adjust better. I’m so sorry you are having so much to deal with but I’m very grateful to you for wanting to do what is best for the kitties. Please do post back with any further questions. :alright: