My Cats Won't Eat Pate

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to find a good all-stages wet food which both my 8 month old Maine Coon Lucy and 8 year old Sparky will eat.  It seems that no matter what I try, from expensive to inexpensive, they refuse to eat anything which is in a pate form.  Some of the brands do not say on the can, so I am wasting a lot of food.

What's that all about?  I thought they respond big time to smell.  Seems they are responding more to texture.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats prefer to eat food that has texture.

See this photo album for foods that have texture so you don't waste your money buying food that is actually pate: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ninga/sets/72157630596066364 Searching Google Images for the brand and name of the variety may also be helpful.

Typically anything in gravy or sauce or broth or aspic / jelly are textured foods.

Weruva, Tiki Cat, and Pride By Instinct are popular textured canned foods.

Many "adult" cat foods are labeled as for all life stages so they are fine to feed to your 8 month old cats

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo wouldn't eat pate foods at first. The first thing I did was chop it up. That sounds obvious, but it wasn't to me at first, and the big hunk of food was too difficult for him to eat. I also sometimes gave him the gravy types, to get him used to it, and mixed a little water in the pate. After some patience on my part, he eats it now.