My cats third eyelid is slightly brown and reddish, should I be worried?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I would take her to the vet.. she could have something in there that's irritating her eye, could be pink eye or worst. I'd take her to the vet to get checked out and possibly eye drops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seth paterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I was just at my parents house and their cat, who is the same color more or less has the brownish part too so I think maybe she just got poked fighting with her sister or something that caused the redness on the white part, still if anyone has a different idea?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, it doesn't look so good. She will probably need some eye drops. A vet visit as soon as possible, so she can start feeling better. 

seth paterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it something that could wait another day do you think? I have fairly serious plans tomorrow and my vet is closed today already, the plans could be cancelled but I'd prefer not to

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get up early & call to see if the vet can get her in early in the morning. (you could call & leave them a message tonight, telling them how long her eyes have been that way, & that you'd like to get in first thing if possible, then follow up again when they open in the morning, instead of waiting for them to call).

Does she keep her eye closed at all, or just normal except for the 3rd eye showing & some drainage?  Could mean different things. Cats also hide pain very well. I'd make her a priority, & maybe you can get her in, & still keep your plans for later. "It's all part of being a good pet parent." We are the only ones they have to take care of them, they depend on us.

Hope it's nothing too serious,  keep us posted. 

seth paterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She occasionally squinted the one eye at first but now she is normal with her eyes, only one eye had any leakage, also the third eyelid isn't showing at all, I'm kind of pulling her eyelid down just enough to see it

seth paterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasn't able to get her in today however her eye looks perfectly fine now, still I may try to run her in just to have them look, can't be too careful

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I definitely would take her in. She may still need some Rx eye drops. Also, just to have a look at her eye. They usually will also check it w/ the black light for any laserations or ulcers. I doubt she has either, since she is not keeping it closed. They are very painful for them. Also to make sure she doesn't have feline herpes. That shows up for cats in eyes, & upper resparory stuff. My cat only had issues w/ his eyes, & was off & on eye drops the first 2 years I had him. He gets lysine in his food every day, & I keep a feliway plugged in just for safe measure to guard against stress, which causes breakouts. Good luck & keep us posted. :)

seth paterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well my fiancé called the vet today and they said it sounds like she was just poked, so we are to just keep an eye on her for a few days, make sure she's acting normally, which she has been, and that there is no more blood(the red liquid we are assuming was blood). Plus her eye is all white again so it sounds like we are all clear :)

notsosunnystate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I definitely would take her in. She may still need some Rx eye drops. Also, just to have a look at her eye. They usually will also check it w/ the black light for any laserations or ulcers. I doubt she has either, since she is not keeping it closed. They are very painful for them. Also to make sure she doesn't have feline herpes. That shows up for cats in eyes, & upper resparory stuff. My cat only had issues w/ his eyes, & was off & on eye drops the first 2 years I had him. He gets lysine in his food every day, & I keep a feliway plugged in just for safe measure to guard against stress, which causes breakouts. Good luck & keep us posted. :)
Hi! I’m sorry, I don’t know if you’ll see this. I know this post is crazy old!! But I was scrolling through good ol google trying to find similar issues. Can you elaborate on what you meant by “….guard against stress, which can cause breakouts” because my 4/yo male has been having random fits with ONLY his right eye. I call it breakouts/flare ups. It’s every 6ish months, and it’s happened ever since he was 1-2. Now… when he was 1 we got his little brother…. Annnnnd I’ve always had a fear his brother brought something infectious with him, despite the Dr’s saying he was squeaky clean when we got him. Not littermates, just adopted brothers ;) Random sneezing fits is mostly what scared me.The little brothers face/mouth/nose was wet a lot & he sneezed a lot…. And coughed. The one with the eye issue though, he just sneezes randomly.
I hope you do see this though!! I’m curious what you meant! Did yours have Feline Herpes Virus? THAT is what I’m afraid of is happening. Google shows what’s happening is a lot like blepharitis though (plus the sneezing).
This is the 4th or 5th time it’s happened (a flare) and I took him to the vet the first time, they gave us Tobramyacin with no answers.
It starts like this: eye water, squint, light sensitive, then the third eyelid shows :/ But within 3-4 days, it clears up on its own.

again I’m sorry! I just wanted to see if you were once in the same boat I am now!
thaaaank you!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry, just saw this!! Yes, my first boy, Angel did have feline herpes. Luckily only eye issues once & awhile, never any upper respiratory stuff. SO... Yes, I did keep him on L-lysine daily, in both meals for maintenance. But, When he did have an outbreak, the dose was doubled until it cleared up. (Usually about a cpl of wks). I believe someone on here suggested that to me, letting me know it was ok, & thats how to treat it. It always worked. The vet agreed.

I currently have a semi feral girl outside ( 99% sure its Panthers momma), that I feed twice a day, & because she has a smaller, teary L eye, I always double her dose, (in both meals), & shes been fine for 3 yrs now.
(they pee it out, so is safe) .
Heres what I buy. A dose is 1/8 tsp, so I put 2 in her food, & Panther gets 1, just for good measure. He's never shown any symptoms on any level, but after his amputation, the vet suggested it.

NOW Pet Health, L-Lysine Supplement, Powder, Formulated for Cats, NASC Certified, 8-Ounce https://a.co/d/b7T9c7a

notsosunnystate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is her, "Honey" 🧡 Took her 2 yrs before she'd let me pet her, & thats from sitting inside the glass doors. I can brush her too. 😊

View attachment 442075
oh she’s so cute!!!!!!
Thank you for replying!! I wasn’t sure if you’d even see it. OP’s post is so old but I didn’t know how else to ask you specifically!
When you said “breakouts” though, do you mean that it would happen randomly? I’m trying to figure out why this keeps happening to my boy (his name is Theo! 😇) but it’s SO random!! He’s a very anxious cat, so I wouldn’t be surprised if stress caused it too.
His eye already started to calm down, & the third eye started to recede already but still, it’s scary when it happens. I just know I want him to go to a vet during a flare up specifically— make it easier for diagnosis!

thank you so much again!!
Also I read the Lysine thing somewhere else too!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it would happen randomly as well. I do think stress brings it on. The lysine will help give the immune system some support to help prevent it from happening as much.
In the beginning, Angel had to also have some neo poly eye drops. I'd say for the for couple of yrs whenever it would happen. Then eventually, just the lysine being doubled until it cleared up was enough. 😊