My cat's third eye

curianhg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He looks tired, now he usually close one of his eye and sometime tilt the head to the right side. I dont know what's wrong with him T_T
Vet in our country is still not very good. I wonder if you guys know anything about this disease.
Maybe he got ear mites since i have to clean his ear recently the black coffes thing in his ear. We are putting medicine into his ear to cure him this week. But I'm still very worry about his eyes like i said above.
Here is the images. 
View media item 239974
View media item 239975
View media item 239976
Very appreciated for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has black stuff in his ear it may well be earmites. They can be difficult to get rid of with home treatment so it is important you get the right medication. Did you get the medicine from a vet or a pharmacy? Do not use stuff from an ordinary petshop or supermarket - sometimes it can be cheap rubbish that will do no good and may even harm your cat. It is easy for a vet to treat earmites and confirm that is the problem, so even a not-very-good vet should be able to do that. Earmites can affect the eyes, and also cause loss of balance, so it is a possible cause. He looks very unhappy in the photo - so I do suggest you go to the vet, though I understand your reluctance. Maybe there is a University department of veterinary medicine near you where the standard of vets would be better. I went to one when I lived in Bosnia where the ordinary private vets were no good..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

curianhg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply, I think I will wait for more 2 days, if his condition is worse, i will bring him to vet. 
I have apply medicine from a pharmacy for his ears today and give him some treats with bonus vitamin.
He's getting better than yesterday: move slowly, close 1 eye, head tilt to 1 side, look sad.
But now he's playing with me and healthier, no more head tilt, just sometimes shaking head.
But still I'm worry about his right eye. Although his third eye lid is small now, his right eye color is lesser than his left eye ( less black 9/10 compare with his right eye black 10/10)

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi

I don't know of course and I am not a vet. I can only give you my advice from what I have learned from past experiences etc.

He looks like he has Horners syndrome which is a neurological condition caused by many things but one of them is from medications instilled into the ear or from ear cleaning. It will go away if you leave the ears alone and don't aggravate it more.

There are other ways to get rid of ear mites. I don't think it is ever a good idea to mess with a cat's ears.

For earmites, if it is ear mites, I use Revolution applied in the normal mannor to the base of the skull on a cat that has had no other treatments or products applied. The ear mites do go away. Also keeping the cat inside and washing all the bedding.

Don't let your cat out with the horners syndrome as his balance will be off and the light will hurt the dilated eye.

He should see a vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be difficult for the OP to obtain Revolution or anything similar, where they live. And vet standards and availability vary enormously around the world. I agree we do not know what the problem actually is and to see a vet would probably help the cat. I have treated earmites successfully with topical medicine, under vet supervision, but until a vet has seen the cat we cannot be sure this would work.