My Cats - Rare and Exotic

imperialfelines

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself and share my cats with everyone.

I currently only have one male cat, His name is Odin and he is an awsome Highland Lynx

He is my lover cat, and spends a lot of time on my lap or laying on my side when I watch TV. I could not have wished for a better companion.

I currently have 3 females, 2 of them are Desert Lynx and the other one is a F4 Jungle Cat / Bengal Hybrid.

The fisrt one "Kali Ma" is a very beautiful medium hair cat with Polydactyle feet and a bob tail. She has a very kind heart and loves my kids.

The second one is her sister "Isis" and is a short hair Desert Lynx with polydactyle feet. She loves greenie cat treats and bugs me for them all the time.

Then My newest felame is a F4 Jungle Cat / Bengal Hybrid. She has a ton of energy and can run for days. She loves palying with the kids and getting the other cats running aournd in circles.

I also have 2 more females that I will be getting in june. the first one is Aine. She is a full SBT Bengal and is only 4 weeks old.

Then I will be getting Astraea and she is a Bengal / Maine Koon Hybrid.

Thank you for letting me share my cats and I can not wait to see yours!!!!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your gorgeous kitties to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

As well as our two adorable moggies, we have a couple of kitties that you don't come across so often too - Lily and Tolly are Singapuras. You'll find another of their ilk around the TCS too

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, your kitties are absolutely stunning. Hope to speak to you soon around the boards. Ruth. x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imperialfelines

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the warm welcome

I will post more pictures when I get a chance

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by imperialfelines

Then I will be getting Astraea and she is a Bengal / Maine Koon Hybrid.

http://imperialfelines.blogspot.com/ or www.imperialfelines.com
Hi, and welcome to TCS....

Beautiful kitties... but I am confused on what you are trying to do with your cats... Astraea is referred on your site as your next queen, and yet she is a mixed cat, a hybrid of a Bengal and a maine Coon... so pretty much a moggie IMHO. Sorry to say that, but she is not a pedigree cat - she is not a Bengal, nor a Maine Coon.

The other cats are other types of hybrids, so I don't see you establishing a breed either.
Polydactyl is not a breed nor an advantage... It is much more a genetic fluke than anything, and yet you are marketing it on your site... That is also confusing to me.
Are you rescuing these cats?

But then It seems to me you have a breeding program and selling them for profit? Mixed cats?

I am sorry, I am saying this because I am confused here as with what you are trying to accomplish.

So you breed hybrids, or moggies, really and sell them?
Sorry, beautiful kitties, but what you are doing, IMO is unecessary to say the least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imperialfelines

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Hi, and welcome to TCS....

Beautiful kitties... but...
Hello Carolina
and thank you for your comments and questions and I plan to try to answer them as best I can.

To answer your questions:

1) First off it seams you may not know how new breeds are made.

2) A new breed of cat is only defined by ONE different trait then a current breed... To explain this we will use the example of the Himalayan.

The Himalayan cat is a breed of long-haired cat identical in type to the Persian, with the exception of its blue eyes and its point coloration, which were derived from the crossing of the Persian with the Siamese. So, the Himalayan is a "moggy" as you put it.. but not really because of what defines a new breed. I will try to explain that below.

3) When you breed different breeds together to make a new breed you have to have all the cat involved in the breeding program registered with a cat organization and track the generations of there kittens. Any mixed breed cat is registered in two different ways... 1) they are first registered as a DSH or DLH 2) Then the following generations can be registered as a "Experimental Breed"

4) Once you get to the "Experimental Breed" stage it takes 3 generations to become Pedigreed. Now most people do not even understand the what "Pedigree" really means... Pedigree is only the tracking of at lest 3 generations of a cat line, Pedigree does not mean that you are a new breed, it just means you have been tracking your breed line under the watch of a major cat organization.

5) After this stage you move into the "Preliminary New Breed" stage, this stage will allow you to start showing your cats but you are still not a Championship breed. You might have heard of some of the cats in this current stage, like the "highlander" and "Minskin" (there are more then that in this stage)

6) After that stage you move into the "Advanced New Breed" - The Chausie and the Savannah are in this group.

7) then after this you move into the Championship breed group.

The above process takes many years and dedication to complete. I takes the love of many breeders.

I did not have time to go over all the details of the process, but I hope you now have a better understanding of how ALL pure breed cats are made. There is not one pure breed that did not start out a "Moggy"

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by imperialfelines

Hello Carolina
and thank you for your comments and questions and I plan to try to answer them as best I can.

To answer your questions:

1) First off it seams you may not know how new breeds are made.

2) A new breed of cat is only defined by ONE different trait then a current breed... To explain this we will use the example of the Himalayan.

The Himalayan cat is a breed of long-haired cat identical in type to the Persian, with the exception of its blue eyes and its point coloration, which were derived from the crossing of the Persian with the Siamese. So, the Himalayan is a "moggy" as you put it.. but not really because of what defines a new breed. I will try to explain that below.

3) When you breed different breeds together to make a new breed you have to have all the cat involved in the breeding program registered with a cat organization and track the generations of there kittens. Any mixed breed cat is registered in two different ways... 1) they are first registered as a DSH or DLH 2) Then the following generations can be registered as a "Experimental Breed"

4) Once you get to the "Experimental Breed" stage it takes 3 generations to become Pedigreed. Now most people do not even understand the what "Pedigree" really means... Pedigree is only the tracking of at lest 3 generations of a cat line, Pedigree does not mean that you are a new breed, it just means you have been tracking your breed line under the watch of a major cat organization.

5) After this stage you move into the "Preliminary New Breed" stage, this stage will allow you to start showing your cats but you are still not a Championship breed. You might have heard of some of the cats in this current stage, like the "highlander" and "Minskin" (there are more then that in this stage)

6) After that stage you move into the "Advanced New Breed" - The Chausie and the Savannah are in this group.

7) then after this you move into the Championship breed group.

The above process takes many years and dedication to complete. I takes the love of many breeders.

I did not have time to go over all the details of the process, but I hope you now have a better understanding of how ALL pure breed cats are made. There is not one pure breed that did not start out a "Moggy"

Well... You are assuming I do not understand, which I do, however I could not see a pattern in your case... That is my confusion. There is a complete mix and match there. So... What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What "new breed" are you trying to develop? I didn't get the impression there was one.

Second, to address your response about the Himalayan, it is a very different situation. As you know, there are breeds that are allowed to cross - and that is done to better the breed. So as you see - different case of a Himalayan or even Sphinx and Devons etc etc. These outcrosses are allowed and are used to perfect the breed standards. A Bengal/Maine Coon can not even show... Can not produce show cats at all for many many generations...
So that is what I don't understand. Your "breeding program".
The technicalities and genetics, yes that I do understand....
But anyways...
So, what are you doing? Are you creating a new breed? Have you started the "new breed" registration process? How many breeds are you working on at the moment? When did you start breeding? Do you show? Did you breed regular breeds before?
Furthermore... Polydactil? Why? Why try to develop a breed with a genetic defect? Because it sells for more? Because some people like it as it is rare?
Sorry, but Does not make sense for me...
Feel free to respond or not...

Yes... Question questions...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty cats but none of them are breeds. BTW you are wrong when stating that all breeds started as moggys. There are a few that were never outcrossed to anything to produce what we have today.

As far as the Bengal/Maine Coon cross - what really are you trying to produce? THAT cross IS a moggy as both Bengal and Maine Coon breeders would not want them mixed together.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cats are beautiful. I saw a picture of a Highland Lynx on the cover of Cat Fancy while waiting in the vet's office yesterday. I pointed it out to my husband and said "Someone with one of those cats just joined our Cat Site!" Welcome to TCS!
Angie

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

Please feel as you home here, we can learn so much and deep about our kittys in this marvelous site, I just only please ask you read the rules and other stuffs that can help you to feel as you Real home!..
here you have the link my friend.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82565

Please ask whatever you need to know, there are plenty of good members and of course our tireness Mod´s to help us here!....

See you on the forums!, Glad that you join us!