My Cat's Newest Obsession - What Is Going On?

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stella is two years old, and has lived with us for 1-1/2 years now. She has the complete run of our large home, plus a sizable catio, and three hoomans who shower her with attention. She is neither bored nor neglected.

But the past few days she has started a new habit of standing in front of closets, cabinets, and even drawers demanding us to open them so she can see what's in there. She's plundered every closet in the house, then went to the kitchen cabinets, and now meowed at the dresser until I opened the drawers for her. I don't think we have mice or anything like that (I hope not!) so I don't know why the sudden fascination with all the closed spaces. Why the sudden demand to open every door and drawer in the house?

Is this normal or nutty cat behavior?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It seems like all cats have some 'nutty' behavior of some sort. I presume she is spayed, otherwise it sounds like looking for a place to nest. ;) Have you cleaned out any of the places she is trying to get into to see if there is something 'amiss'?

Is she doing OK otherwise? My cat has been known to look for a new place to 'hide' when she is not feeling particularly well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is spayed and she seems to feel just fine (had her checkup at the vet just a few days ago, in fact, and she's in perfect health.) She isn't acting "off" in any way, just a sudden burst of intense curiosity.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another question is has anything changed in your life recently?

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another question is has anything changed in your life recently?
No, everything is status quo. Maybe now that she's explored the whole house, she is looking for new nooks and crannies to conquer. That is all I can come up with - but it is all kind of sudden which is why I'm puzzled.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To quote my father, a very wise man, "Who knows from cats?" He adored them, they adored him, but his answer to every question about "why does this cat...?" was "Because cat." I think the mystery of their fuzzy little brains was part of his attraction to them.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's more house and she needs to see it 🤣

I wonder if she just thinks you all randomly open drawers and closets, rummage around and then close them. It's hard to tell how much they understand.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've got one who tries (and most of the time succeeds!) to break into various closets :dunno: At least yours ask for permission :flail:
Not any more! She got tired of "asking" and has now mastered the art of opening cabinets and drawers. It's like having a toddler in the house again!

Attachments

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One never knows what a cat is thinking. Likely because we're so inferior we can not possibly comprehend their thoughts.

My angel boy used to do inspections all over the house. He'd open all the cabinets, bed room doors, drawers in dressers, etc. He'd look in, do a sniff, and leave. Sometimes he'd do such a good job it reminded you of one of those scenes in a ghost movie where they walk into the room and everything has been opened. Such a silly boy he was.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's more house and she needs to see it 🤣

I wonder if she just thinks you all randomly open drawers and closets, rummage around and then close them. It's hard to tell how much they understand.
It's almost like the light bulb went off and she realized that there were more things to see in those drawers and cabinets. A little while ago I caught her in the cabinet where we keep the bags of treats - she had opened the door, gone inside, and was trying to get into one of the bags. I'm a first time cat owner here who had NO IDEA what these little goofballs are capable of!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's almost like the light bulb went off and she realized that there were more things to see in those drawers and cabinets. A little while ago I caught her in the cabinet where we keep the bags of treats - she had opened the door, gone inside, and was trying to get into one of the bags. I'm a first time cat owner here who had NO IDEA what these little goofballs are capable of!
That's exactly how it happens. They are such curious little beings. And can be quite creative with what they get in to. Given unlimited time, Magnus can take the chain off the back door and flip the lock. Luckily, he doesn't do it much anymore, and we aren't sure if flipping the lock was an accident he can't reproduce as it only happened twice. The chain is another story.

He can't open the door knob (but we say yet because we've seen cats online do it!).

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
But the past few days she has started a new habit of standing in front of closets, cabinets, and even drawers demanding us to open them so she can see what's in there. Why the sudden demand to open every door and drawer in the house? Is this normal or nutty cat behavior?
Carleton does this too - drawers, cabinets, closets, you name it. Maybe Stella is checking to see how good you clean the house? :flail:

Here's Carleton's front in the dresser drawer and his back in the kitchen cabinet.
IMG_2348.JPG IMG_1908.JPG

Last edited: