My Cat's New Friend Vs Foe

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20170514_165523.jpg
Hi,

My cat is 10 months old now, I got her spayed 2 months ago. Before getting spayed I was visiting my sister and Cotton, who till then was an indoor only cat, started roaming around the windows. When I let her out, she went up to a stray cat (female adult) that comes often to my sister's yard and is fed sometimes.
they were facing each other as if they were talking, I was a bit distant so didn't hear whether Cotton was growling or not, but the other cat was meowing in a kind of pleading/begging kind of way. Then all of a sudden it meowed loudly and attacked Cotton, trying to scratch her right behind the neck! I shouted at it and ran towards them and it ran away.
I held Cotton who was afraid and growling and hissing until I calmed her down and took her inside, thankfully unhurt.

Now, more than two months later, I'm visiting at my sister's again, and almost an hour ago I find Cotton at the kitchen window, looking at that other cat, who when saw me approaching, ran away. The weird thing is that Cotton was looking for her and wanted to follow her! One thing I noticed is that her abdomen is big and droopy as if she had been pregnant (if that happens in cats).

The weirder thing is that Cotton is usually unaccepting of other cats at all, whether she sees them in the groomer's or at the vet's she hisses at them and growls!

So what's the secret behind her attraction to this stray cat?! Does she give her a motherly feeling? why did that cat attack her?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is so beautiful!

Cats are territorial, Cotton's territory is indoors, the yard is the foreign cat's. Cats don't like other cats on their territory so I assume they are watching each other, not quite sure what to do about it.

Domestic cats have a stomach flap, it's very pronounced with British Shorthairs, Egyptian Maus and Bengal among others, it protects their belly if they are in a fight. Its called the primordial pouch.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, those pouches usually show up with age, both males and females can get them. I have noticed like said above that some breeds are a lot ,more prone to get them Your cat was intruding on another's territory, and may have wanted to make friends or was curious, but the other cat became afraid and attacked. That meowing you heard was a warning to stay away. Cats are usually all right as long as they keep their distance and move very slowly. It is never a good situation when two cats approach each other and get into each other's 'space' too quickly without a time for observance and getting familiar, Your cat has most likely not been in a situation quite like this and was unsure what to do. Now that your cat has been spayed, the aggressiveness should taper off,it takes several months for the hormones to leave, but for now she wants to follow because she wants the intruder gone, but the problem is so does the other cat! All was perfectly normal.

Last edited: