My cat's mouth is too stinky

Junhan Zhang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Just like the title said, my 7 month American curl cat's mouth is sooooo stinky, and the way it stinks is different to my 2 years old cat (or the "normal" cat's mouth). The best description is the smell of the poop of wild animals (like the smell we can smell from the zoo, either similar to the poop from the fox or sheep.) But she is healthy and just back from the vet last week, I don't see any sign of mouth's disease either. It is too stinky to made me can't stand for a long time, especially every time after she cleaned her fur, the smell is all over her body.
I ask this question is only because I am kind of worried about this abnormal smell. Right now I can only blame it on her teething period, but I think it could be something related to gene (I don't know, maybe her saliva is just smelly.).
Is there any way to reduce that? She really likes to sleep on my leg and I just can't stand it for all day everyday, people said I smell like wild animal, I am crying.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you look into one of the dental additives to put into her water dish and see if that helps? Will she allow you to brush her teeth, maybe that could also help the odor.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have heard of metabolic issues causing a foul breath as well. Just throwing it out there in case the dental additives don't make a difference.

You didn't mention anything about any other kinds of issues, such as horrible smelling poop? If she covers her poop well, that might be hard to pick up on. And, sometimes, certain foods can cause digestive issues that might result in foul smelling breath.

To help reduce the smell on her body, you could try unscented, hypoallergenic wipes to clean her fur a bit, while you continue to search for answers.

Did you mention it to the vet, just to see what they might think? I would have thought if they checked her mouth, they would have smelled it too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Did you mention it to the vet, just to see what they might think? I would have thought if they checked her mouth, they would have smelled it too.
:yeah: I agree!

Since you already saw the vet I would call and tell them your concern. Usually but not always if there is a bad odor in a cat's mouth it's a sign of dental or gum disease. However, at 7 mos. old that seems less common so give them a call and please keep us posted.