My cat's lower lip looks swollen/droopy on the left side out of the blue? :(

jmckale90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before I go to the vet, I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience.

My 5-year-old cat, Astra, has what looks like some feline acne on her chin.  She's black and I noticed she had lost a little bit of hair on her chin around her lower lip, and that's how I saw the couple little red bumps, which I'm assuming is acne since she doesn't have the bumps anywhere else...even though she eats from a porcelain bowl and I heard that feline acne can be caused by plastic bowls...hmm.  But anyways, about a day or so ago I noticed her mouth on the left side was slightly open, almost like it was drooping, because her mouth was completely closed.  I thought it was strange, but she was eating and acting normally so I didn't think much of it.  Well, today she is sleeping a lot and acting cranky, and the left side of her mouth is more noticable.  She has her mouth closed but it doesn't look like it on one side...I checked her mouth (she did NOT like that at all), and her gums aren't red or bleeding, and her teeth look normal...and her breath doesn't stink.  I'm completely stumped about what's going on, but she seems like she's experiencing some discomfort with her mouth...and her lower lip does seem slightly swollen, but it's only drooping slightly on the left side.  Does anybody have any idea what this could be?  I have another cat but he's perfectly healthy and they are both indoor cats who never go outside.  I keep their litterbox clean and feed them grain free food.  This is really worrying me especially because I'm broke at the moment and really hope it's nothing serious.  I want to go to the vet, but I can't this week.  :(  Thanks for listening.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard to tell from your photos, though that's certainly not your fault.  From your description, it does not sound like she's feeling well.  I think you're right to go to the vet.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can't tell from the photos. It could be a rodent ulcer. They are often on the bottom lip. A visit to the vet is definately needed. Keep us posted.