My cats left eye is very swollen

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Firstly, hello to all. I haven’t posted in quite some time.
My cat scarecrow that me and my fiancé picked up from in front of our building has some eye swelling. We noticed some discharge from her eye but it didn’t seem too threatening so we just kept an eye on it, but it worsened very quickly, more quickly than we expected. This picture is from Thursday. She has an appointment this morning, but her condition has worsened. When I left for work, she couldn’t open her eye at all and the swelling was larger. Could this be conjectivitus? I’ll update once her appointment is finished. But I’d still like to get you alls opinions beforehand.
I have two other cats and they do fight sometimes and idk if that may be the cause for her injury. It’s hard to say because it happened when I was at work, and I work overnight.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The good news is you were able to get an appointment with your vet today. 👍 It sounds like she may have an infection and need antibiotics to clear it up. It's also possible the cornea could have been scratched when having a fight with your other cat(s). Your vet will be able to diagnose the problem and recommend the best treatment. In the meantime, here is a TCS Article that may be helpful for you: Eye Problems In Cats: What Every Owner Needs To Know
Please keep us posted on your progress. :alright:

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could she have been stung by a bee? Cats tend to swell up in the spot they’ve been stung, and it looks like her cheek is puffy

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Her eye does not look injured, more like a little virus going on there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spookysmom234

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for all the replies.
It turns out she had an infection from three broken teeth in her mouth. I’m unsure of how that happened but the doctor said it could have came from a fight. Not sure how long it’s been that way. The infection was pretty bad so they drained it and she’s doing so much better now. They have her some medicine for the pain.
Sadly, she was diagnosed with feline leukemia. I have to bring my other kitties in to make sure she didn’t give it to them although they both have been vaccinated. The doctor also said she might be pregnant, which I disagree with. They’re gonna do x rays on her to make sure everything is ok with her tummy. We’re isolsting her for now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hate that. Both the broken teeth and infection, and especially the FeLV. Poor girl. Let us know if the doctor is right!