My cat's incision area after spay

xonadya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, i sent my cat to the vet to get her spayed 3 days ago and she refuses to wear the e collar and is a very active cat. she growled at me while putting on the collar and she immediately takes it off after i put it on (she was under a lot of stress while taking it out and i figured that it isn't good for her therefore i'm monitoring her). i've placed her in the cage and while i'm sleeping or when no one is at home, no one is monitoring her therefore i'm closely monitoring her incision site to make sure it's not infected. i've doubts though; there are lumps and at the end of her incision site there is something that looks different from the first day do send some advices thank you!

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks good.

In the last shot where she is sitting looks *clean* for me as long as the skin is matching

sealing up nicely nothing to worry about if you are concerned you can email a photo to Vet's for professional opinion.

Incisions, post op care at home is always stressful at first cats always seem to fuss with 

wounds allot in the beginning.

Pretty spots 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

xonadya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the first photo is her first day after the surgery. thought it would be great to post a comparison hehe. i was quite worried bc i googled and i didnt know how the wound should look like if its infected bc it said "swelling and redness" so i was quite worried because i thought there were some swelling (or maybe a lump haha). but i'm soso glad to hear that it sounds good and looks okay from u. thank u so much for the advice!! i can relax a little for now :D and yes, she has nice spots hehe thank u once again!!!!!!! i really appreciate it 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks good!  She doesn't need to stay in a cage.  That may actually be more stressful.

xonadya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i put her in the cage bacuse she jumps around too much :/ she's a very active cat you see /:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After three days it's unlikely that she will hurt herself. Cats are good at self-limiting.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats were born feral and the vet made the incision on their right side because he said there was less chance of infection and the wound would heal faster.  

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks really good! My kitty had to have the cone on for almost 2 weeks after her's, it was a nightmare. (for me anyway) But yours is healing up nicely!

xonadya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that's comforting to hear, @talkingpeanut . just worried that she would lick her incision site due to itch as the wound heals and the fur grow back. plus, im not sure how infected wound looks like so i was kinda worried for an 18 year old girl who's doing this for the first time [emoji]128517[/emoji] thank you!!!

@muffy , oh damn mine's in the centre haha

@teejay89 , i tried my best putting on the cone for her but she kept taking it out /: it was a nightmare indeed and i gave in to her bc it was causing her so much stress but anyways thank you so much!!

miameblues

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nothing to worry about, it looks good. My cat had her surgery three weeks ago and kept her cone on for 10 days. She hated it, but learnt to live with it :) Just keep monitoring the site everyday and if you see any major discoloration (red or purple) or oozing or skin that seems to have come open, then you have cause to worry. Watch out for a foul smell too, just in case. Smart girl, your cat, not worrying the wound too much.

xonadya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@talkingpeanut , internal stitches :)

@miameblues , okay thank you for your comforting words[emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@talkingpeanut , internal stitches :)

@miameblues , okay thank you for your comforting words[emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji]
Licking is ok in that case. She can't pull them out. Try letting her go back to normal.

xonadya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i've allowed her to roam around all day today seems fine! she don't seem to be bothering her wound much and that's really good news for me!!! @talkingpeanut

thank you everyone for help!! [emoji]128140[/emoji][emoji]133672595948[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]

sdjkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just another idea instead of wearing the cone,you could always put a baby jumper onto the cat which will prevent her from licking. I did that with my kitten as she hated the cone and would refuse to eat. I've attached a photo of how to cut the onesie as the head of the cat goes through where the bum on the baby would be. The recommendation is that for small cats (less than 6 pounds) try a premie size, for cats 6-10 pounds try a 3-6 month size, for cats over 10 pounds try 6-9 months and for cats more than 15 pounds try a 12+ months.

This is just general but it should help. :)

sdjkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just another idea instead of wearing the cone,you could always put a baby jumper onto the cat which will prevent her from licking. I did that with my kitten as she hated the cone and would refuse to eat. I've attached a photo of how to cut the onesie as the head of the cat goes through where the bum on the baby would be. The recommendation is that for small cats (less than 6 pounds) try a premie size, for cats 6-10 pounds try a 3-6 month size, for cats over 10 pounds try 6-9 months and for cats more than 15 pounds try a 12+ months.

This is just general but it should help. :)

This is how it looks, quite cute actually [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]

And glad to hear your kitty is doing well!

xonadya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@sdjkitty , ohmy that's really nice of you thank you for your trouble!!!! will try this out on her thank you!!![emoji]128158[/emoji][emoji]128158[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128158[/emoji][emoji]128158[/emoji]

sdjkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
xonadya xonadya not a problem! My kitten hated the cone, and with 2 other cats in the house too it is very hard to make sure one of them isn't trying to lick her so this was the best solution! It may take your cat some time to get used to it, but they will get used to it! So don't give up! If it is a little tight around the arms or legs you can always cut slits as well.

Hope that helps! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128526[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@sdjkitty , ohmy that's really nice of you thank you for your trouble!!!! will try this out on her thank you!!![emoji]128158[/emoji][emoji]128158[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128158[/emoji][emoji]128158[/emoji]
This is a great suggestion, but your cat really doesn't need any cone or covering anymore. She can't do any damage to the internal stitches. Try not to worry!