My Cats Have Clostridium

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What are the causes of this? They have been throwing up and have diarrhea.
The vet said it is contagious. My dd searched and said its food poisoning.
How do I know what it came from and worried about all the fancy feast I have. What about the dry food. Do I need to throw stuff out? They gave me meds for 2 of the cats as I have confirmed the same symptoms as Zane who I took in. I came back the first time to puke. Cleaned that up came back after getting Zane and found more puke. :( they gave us Cernia for nausea and metronidazole for the infection.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is a pretty good article about it, very easy to understand, and lists possible causes. UNLESS your pet food is out of date, that is probably NOT the cause, although check for recalls. It would, SHOULD IT BE the food, almost certainly be the wet food, not the dry, as the dry is far more processed. Is there any chance that your babies may have been "grazing" in the kitchen trash? That would be a far more likely source that your cat food.

Diarrhea Due to Clostridium perfringens in Cats | petMD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No they don't get in the trash that I know of. We have a cover on it. How soon does it show up? It was after adding some new foods. But just one day. Here and there. Changed dry food in Feb and before that petsmart changed the food we were giving.
I've been told not to use the metro we were given:( how do we deal with the vomiting and diarrhea? I'm wondering if it was because I tried giving Zane with grains. He usually can't handle. I should have stuck to grain free :(

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I can't find anything reliable on an incubation period, but I would think that it could vary, depending on what was ingested that caused it.

Don't beat yourself up too much over this. It happens. And it seems to happen JUST when we are trying our best to give our cats the best food we can find! Pumpkin puree (NOT the pie filling, about a spoonful a day) added to their food might help with the diarrhea. For vomiting, you'll probably need a prescription medication. Hang in there. WISH I could have been of more concrete help!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mittens is on day 3 of Metro and threw up tonight and runny diarrhea after non overnight :( I wonder if the purina dry food could be causing it. I gave them canned yesterday 3 times instead of dry for the other feeding. I will have to see what the morning brings.
I started some of them on s boulardi to see how they do.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to make fairly slow changes to their diets. Abrupt changes can actually cause vomiting and diarrhea.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Be sure to make fairly slow changes to their diets. Abrupt changes can actually cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Yes I always do. But they also say diet changes can cause clostridium overgrowth

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. All sorts of things can cause it. SIGH...sometimes, we're left just dealing with the outcomes, never knowing the "whys" of it all...which tends to drive me NUTS. There are mysteries in the world that I deeply appreciate, but "Why the cat got sick" IS NOT ONE OF THEM!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wanted to update as the cats are sick again. It was only about 2 weeks before it came back. So we started the s boulardii again. I ordered the jarrow brand with mos and will be here Monday I think. Hoping we can get over this. I'm not sure what to feed them. I wonder if the other foods last week caused it. I hate that I cannot feed different canned foods without it causing issues.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people have had very good luck with s.boulardi Clostridium And S. Boulardii

I tend to be suspicious of many things that come out of the all natural medicine world because much of the evidence is anecdotal. S.boulardi has been tested using standard methods within traditional medicine for humans and there is concrete evidence that it can work.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some people have had very good luck with s.boulardi Clostridium And S. Boulardii

I tend to be suspicious of many things that come out of the all natural medicine world because much of the evidence is anecdotal. S.boulardi has been tested using standard methods within traditional medicine for humans and there is concrete evidence that it can work.
Yes I used that last time and stopped has they weren't going at all or started getting formed stool. I started again. Just hope it works. As of yesterday it hadn't help much with Zane. I ordered the jarrow brand. Its supposed to be better.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats did not do well on the jarrow brand. Went through the whole bottle and someone puked after having diarrhea this morning. :/ I'm scared as they are just passing it back and forth will it ever go away? I can't afford this and it's taking a toll on me

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am SO SO sorry that you AND your cats are going through this! I know what a drain it is.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got them back on the NOW brand. And tried to cut back and give them one capsule a day instead of 2. And someone is getting diarrhea or it's the same cat that had it before. But it's not every day. I dont know which cat it is either. :( it's a struggle with multiple cats

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really is. Pinning down the one with the tummy upset can be next to impossible. Is there any OVERALL improvement at all?

jamiec100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a cat a few years ago - bad diarrhea - out vet couldn't figure it out - I had a hunch it was clostridium. We got a new vet that could do a "comprehensive diarrhea panel" which verified my thoughts on clostridium. Once he started getting the antibiotic Tylan prepared in capsules he was better within a few days. Had to keep giving it for a few months but he got over it. He was very bad. Close to pushing his intestines out thru his anus as he was a feral and had this for a long time outside. the first vet said we should put him down he was in such bad condition. After tylan he became a happy playful cat. Tylan via the ear doesn't work well. Had to be capsules. Put a little butter on them and chase with water. He knew it helped him so he let me give it twice a day. It took months to find out what to do.