My cat's fur won't grow back, and she has some cuts.

KittyCam

Stray cats and pet cats handler
Kitten
Purraise
My indoor cat Willow was attacked by a cat and lost some fur. It has been years and it hasn't grown back. Is something wrong? Cuts have also been appearing. I am very concerned at this point. Should her hair have grown back already? Could the cuts be coming from an object in my house? If so, how could I keep this from happening? Please help!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor cat Willow was attacked by a cat and lost some fur. It has been years and it hasn't grown back. Is something wrong? Cuts have also been appearing. I am very concerned at this point. Should her hair have grown back already? Could the cuts be coming from an object in my house? If so, how could I keep this from happening? Please help!
The hair that didn't grow back could be because of scar tissue, how much hair area are you referring to. Yes, the hair should have grown back a long time ago. Is 'she' scratching alot ? Have you seen a vet? Could be so many things. Pics would be great.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are the cuts in the same location as the 'balding'? I don't know why it would be bothering her more now than in the past, but nonetheless she might be causing the cuts by scratching, as mentioned above.

There is no way for us to know how she might be getting the cuts. The only way to keep it from happening is for you to follow her around (for days, if need be) and see what she is doing, where she is going, and what she might be getting into.

You might also try trimming her nails to see if that helps any in case it is coming from scratching. And, to help heal the cuts, you could try a home remedy. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on the cuts with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for Willow to ingest should she chose to do so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyCam

Kitten
Purraise
The hair that didn't grow back could be because of scar tissue, how much hair area are you referring to. Yes, the hair should have grown back a long time ago. Is 'she' scratching alot ? Have you seen a vet? Could be so many things. Pics would be great.
Willow's right thigh is mostly where all the fur is gone at (basically her whole thigh). At first it was a small spot of fur gone but after a few weeks, more fur was lost. She has been scratching but not frequently. We have not seen the vet because we can't afford it. I tried to take some pictures, but the picture quality doesn't really show the loss of fur.

KittyCam

Kitten
Purraise
Are the cuts in the same location as the 'balding'? I don't know why it would be bothering her more now than in the past, but nonetheless she might be causing the cuts by scratching, as mentioned above.

There is no way for us to know how she might be getting the cuts. The only way to keep it from happening is for you to follow her around (for days, if need be) and see what she is doing, where she is going, and what she might be getting into.

You might also try trimming her nails to see if that helps any in case it is coming from scratching. And, to help heal the cuts, you could try a home remedy. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on the cuts with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for Willow to ingest should she chose to do so.
The cuts have been on the same spot but also on her neck. I think it could be from scratching so I will trim her nails today or tomorrow. I will try the chamomile tea bags soon. Thanks for the tips.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat, Mawkin, who had surgery and wouldn't let the hair grow back in that area. I didn't know about chamomile tea at the time but the vet gave me an anti-itch spray that worked. New hair growth can be very itchy when first emerging from the skin.

Mine have scratches in front of their ears if I've gone too long between trims.

Have you checked for flras? They can get in on clothing and through screens.

KittyCam

Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat, Mawkin, who had surgery and wouldn't let the hair grow back in that area. I didn't know about chamomile tea at the time but the vet gave me an anti-itch spray that worked. New hair growth can be very itchy when first emerging from the skin.

Mine have scratches in front of their ears if I've gone too long between trims.

Have you checked for flras? They can get in on clothing and through screens.
I just checked and she does have some fleas. I'll have to get her a flea collar soon. I will keep up with trimming her claws so she won't get more cuts. I'll wait a few weeks and see if cuts stop appearing and then inform you.

KittyCam

Kitten
Purraise
Willow currently has no cuts showing up lately and her fur is slowly growing back. I got some pics with not really good quality but you can still see the difference between her other fur.

Attachments