My cat's fur along her spine "stands on end."

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure whether to post this question here or on the health forum, but being that I think (and hope) that this is more of a care and grooming issue, I'm going to put it here. However, mods, if you feel this would be better suited for the other forum, please feel free to move it

I have an 18 month old female cat named Delaney. She's a DSH brown tabby with white. I adopted her from a local animal shelter last year and she has been with me since -- aside from tapeworms and a slight URI when I adopted her, she has been in good health. She did have coccidia at the shelter, but that was treated and cleared prior to her adoption. Her URI (herpes) has been kept under control with the help of L-Lysine and she is routinely de-wormed (the tapeworms were successfully treated). In short, health-wise, she appears to be in good condition.

Over the last couple of months, all of my cats have put on some weight (all but one are under 2 years old, the other turned 2 late last year). Despite their being indoor-only cats, I suspect some of that gain has to do with bulking up for the winter. However, I also believe they gained weight due to the grain in the food they were eating. I've now successfully transitioned them to a grain-free kibble and have increased the amount of wet food they get in their diet. This was all done under a veterinarian's supervision. It is our hope that the diet change will spur some de-bulking over time. None of the cats are obese -- they are merely just above where they should be -- but it is in their best interest to lose a little weight so as to maintain better condition.

I'm not sure any of the above information is important regarding my question, but it may be useful so I decided to include it...

My question is this: Delaney's coat has changed over the last couple of months. Her fur is still soft and has a nice sheen to it, but it appears spiked as it falls over her spine -- almost as though her hackles are very slightly raised. Her coat is plush and short and, as such, does tend to stand somewhat on end. And, of course, that fur along her spine to the base of her tail is a bit longer. But, is this any cause for concern? Or, is it merely just the way some cats' fur falls?

I have started introductions between my adult cats and the kitten, but this issue, I believe, started before then. Delaney's been to the vet for a recent check-up and was given a clean bill of health, but ths wasn't something I brought up at the time as I had not really taken notice of it until, really, the last couple of days. As Delaney grew from kitten to adult, her personality definitely changed and she became distrustful, but we've been working on that and she has really come around. She still tends to be skittish (it is believed that she was abused and neglected as a kitten), but, that too, is improving. This fur issue could be behavioral in that it really is her hackles being raised, but if it is something I should worry about, I'd like to know so I can take action.

She is eating well, she is playful, her bathroom habits haven't changed, and she looks healthy. It's just that bit of fur along her spine that spikes up. Am I just an overly worried mom? Or do I really have cause for concern?

Thanks in advance

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a lot of DSHs the fur - specifically the guardhairs, will be a little longer there than elsewhere and longer than the undercoat. Certain coats types will get a chunky break up of the fur over the spine. Dry winter air doesn't help.

I have a couple that get have fur that will break up like that over their spines - there's nothing wrong with them or their fur.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its common in short hairs. You can click on the orange kitty next to name here and see that Isabell also has "spikes" even though she gets brushed everyday (for about 10 mins this is all she can take). You make not see it too well in that picture but that picture was taken on cold spring day in Chicago. When she gets cold her fur clumps together all over and "spikes".

It's funny when Isabell puffs she only puffs her spine and tail. My other short hair kitty only puffs his tail.

Here is another picture of Isabell where the spikes are more apparent:

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no insight to offer, but my Genever has a similar issue. It's pretty strange, she's a half-punk kitty. The fur on half of her head stands up, the other half it lies flat.
I have no idea why... just one more odd but loveable thing about my baby girl.

shanleybd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm reposting this question because the same thing is happening with my calico. Any answers for the spikey hair other than her just being a punk rock cat?