My Cats Dont Want To Eat Anything

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yanaka, maybe cats that don't like the same brands of food might relate, and have similar tastebuds?

That is, my cat will not even touch Nutro or Fancy Feast. Yet she will eat Nature's Instinct Pride flaked rabbit and Nature's Instinct Pride flaked duck; Merrick LID Turkey; Nulo 3oz Turkey and Duck Minced in gravy; Koha LID Duck pate; Nulo 3oz shredded Turkey & Halibut in gravy; Nulo 3oz shredded Beef & Rainbow Trout in gravy; Nulo Beef & Lamb pate.

These don't have chicken.

There are only two limited ingredient diets in there, I know, so there are other ingredients you are going to have to decide upon with the Nulo and the Nature's Variety Pride (fruits, veg, etc). And the last three in the list above have some fish broths & fish listed several items into the ingredient lists.

She'll also eat Nature's Variety Pride minced or flaked Salmon (the Sherlock Salmon or Starlet's Salmon, respectively) but it DOES have chicken.

She has also eaten commerical frozen raw Stella & Chewy's Absolutely Rabbit for cats. And she likes a variety of brands of freeze-dried raw. Additionally, I sometimes use Vital Essentials freeze-dried Duck Liver to crumble on top of her Merrick LID as a topper when she is being fussy.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's odd but reading through these posts, I realize that our cats have shifted on their canned food preferences: they used to love natural shreds (Tiki and Weruva) but now they shun them for pates (Fromm and, yup, Fancy Feast) and formed shreds (Nutro and Koha duck stew).

The thing that's most consistent -- and truly mystifying -- is their willingness to eat two freeze-dried raw meals a day, made with slightly differing proportions of several brands of food, depending on what we have on hand and feel like crumbling up. I do switch up the toppers a little for Ireland (crumbled Feline Natural is in favor and Pure Bites are a bit passe this week) but, knock on wood and tfu-tfu-tfu over my left shoulder, they keep eating their freeze-dried stuff. As well as turkey and chicken Rad Cat, which I've limited to just a small snack because it's what they like most of all and I don't want them to get tired of it.

All that said, I do notice that Ireland goes through phases where she just doesn't eat quite as heartily and might look a slight bit thinner. Our vet has said it's perfectly natural for cats' weight to fluctuate a little so I've never worried about it since any weight losses have been very small and temporary, and Ireland's apparent mild nausea symptoms seem to have abated. A lot of the weight/appetite variations seem to be seasonal (as right now, for spring!) or related to how active the cats are. They're about five so they're still pretty active most days, though some days (or even weeks, if the weather's bad and they can't go out on their veranda to watch birds and rodents) they sleep more than others and eat less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When they go through those phases, are they hungry? Mine beg (especially the sister) so it really worries me. I’m okay with the weight and appetite shifts if that’s normal but they are still hungry... :(

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m trying different brands including Nature’s Variety but they won’t eat that either. I don’t care if there are veggies or fish anymore or even carrageenan, I just want them to EAT. :(

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they go through those phases, are they hungry? Mine beg (especially the sister) so it really worries me. I’m okay with the weight and appetite shifts if that’s normal but they are still hungry... :(

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m trying different brands including Nature’s Variety but they won’t eat that either. I don’t care if there are veggies or fish anymore or even carrageenan, I just want them to EAT. :(
Yes, when they get like that they're hungry and they'll ask for food around mealtime. They just don't eat quite as much as usual. (I've even cut back a little on their evening meal this week -- the weather's been slightly warmer -- and nobody's complained. In some ways, I think it even helps a little to cut the meals because they're not too full for the next one when it rolls around.) When they get like this, even Edwina, who's a ridiculously dependable eater, will sometimes leave some food in her dish so she can go to the veranda. She'll come to finish it later if Ireland didn't already do the job for her. We feed them at specific mealtimes but will leave the dishes for a little while if they seem more interested in watching chipmunks than eating.

I don't blame you for wanting to try anything -- I would, too! I remember that someone mentioned Friskies, which you've probably already tried: Friskies was great for these two when they had URIs and didn't want to eat at all. Another one that worked for our previous cat was Trader Joe's, though I don't remember which specific food. I think that one has both rice and carrageenan but it's fairly decent food. I think you said you'd already tried Merrick, too, right? Someone in a store suggested Merrick for our previous cat when she was sick, too, saying those are often appealing: Cowboy Cookout, the potpie food, and another one (Thanksgiving dinner or something?) in that line got her eating. Those have vegetables and carrageen, too, I think, but they're not bad.

I really feel for you on this and hope you're able to find something that works!

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, me again...

Now they are turning up their noses at Rad Cat, which they loved up until a few days ago. I started introducing them to a few canned Merrick because I want to feed them something less expensive (I spend $40 a week for the rad caf), and now theyre not only refusing the cans, they are also snobbing the initial food.

They are visibly hungry and slimmer, yet they won’t eat anything (apart from dry food, which I limit because I don’t want them to get crystals). They usually end up eating the Rad Cat (reluctantly, now) but they spend time being hungry and unhappy first... it breaks my heart.

What should I do and why are cats so difficult with their food?? Why do they let themselves be hungry like this...
There are some folks that would say "NOOOO" but then, some folks like raw rice! :^) I have been feeding Ziwipeak Rabbit/Lamb and Venison for a few years; I have 'discovered' a newer New Zealand food named Kiwi Kitchen. Its HALF the price of Ziwipeak, but it seems to do just fine with my F5 Artie. Now the downside is (1)its hard to find (my closest store is about 30-40 minutes away); and (2) it has agar agar as a stiffener. Ziwipeak quit agar agar and/or carrageenan but now uses chickpeas to stiffen for that pate feel. Hers the data on the Kiwi Kitchen:
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS LAMB BEEF VENISON CHICKEN FISH SALMON
MIN. PROTEIN ..................10.5% 10.1% 12.0% 10.0% 10.7% 10.0%
MIN. FAT ..........................7.5% 7.0% 4.5% 6.2% 5.4% 7%
MAX. FIBRE ......................1.6% 1.8% 2% 2% 2% 2%
MAX. MOISTURE ..............76.0% 76.0% 76.0% 76.0% 78% 78%
Metabolisable Energy (ME) kcal/kg 1300 1300 1200 1225 1060 1270

INGREDIENTS
Lamb Dinner: Lamb, Lamb Broth, Lamb Liver, Lamb Tripe, Lamb Lung, Lamb Kidney, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

Beef Dinner: Beef, Beef Broth, Beef Liver, Beef Tripe, Beef Lung, Beef Kidney, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

Venison Dinner: Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Venison Tripe, Venison Lung, Venison Kidney, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

Chicken Dinner: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Offal, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

Fish Dinner: Fish, Fish Broth, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

Salmon Dinner: Salmon, Salmon Broth, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

VITAMINS / MINERALS AND GELLING AGENTS
Brewers Yeast, Calcium Carbonate,Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Fish Oil, Agar Agar, Cassia, Salt, Taurine, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Yucca Schidigera, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Iodine, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B6 Supplement, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate.

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rad Cat and Merrick aren't even in the same ballpark. Variety is key to preventing boredom but if your cats like raw why offer them sketchy canned food? You can make your own for half the price of Rad Cat with EZcomplete or alnutrin and rotate in Rad Cat to keep costs down. I feed a rotation of RC and food I make with EZ.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some folks that would say "NOOOO" but then, some folks like raw rice! :^) I have been feeding Ziwipeak Rabbit/Lamb and Venison for a few years; I have 'discovered' a newer New Zealand food named Kiwi Kitchen. Its HALF the price of Ziwipeak, but it seems to do just fine with my F5 Artie. Now the downside is (1)its hard to find (my closest store is about 30-40 minutes away); and (2) it has agar agar as a stiffener. Ziwipeak quit agar agar and/or carrageenan but now uses chickpeas to stiffen for that pate feel. Hers the data on the Kiwi Kitchen:
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS LAMB BEEF VENISON CHICKEN FISH SALMON
MIN. PROTEIN ..................10.5% 10.1% 12.0% 10.0% 10.7% 10.0%
MIN. FAT ..........................7.5% 7.0% 4.5% 6.2% 5.4% 7%
MAX. FIBRE ......................1.6% 1.8% 2% 2% 2% 2%
MAX. MOISTURE ..............76.0% 76.0% 76.0% 76.0% 78% 78%
Metabolisable Energy (ME) kcal/kg 1300 1300 1200 1225 1060 1270

INGREDIENTS
Lamb Dinner: Lamb, Lamb Broth, Lamb Liver, Lamb Tripe, Lamb Lung, Lamb Kidney, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

Beef Dinner: Beef, Beef Broth, Beef Liver, Beef Tripe, Beef Lung, Beef Kidney, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

Venison Dinner: Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Venison Tripe, Venison Lung, Venison Kidney, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

Chicken Dinner: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Offal, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

Fish Dinner: Fish, Fish Broth, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

Salmon Dinner: Salmon, Salmon Broth, Fish Oil, Vitamins/Minerals and Gelling Agents.

VITAMINS / MINERALS AND GELLING AGENTS
Brewers Yeast, Calcium Carbonate,Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Fish Oil, Agar Agar, Cassia, Salt, Taurine, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Yucca Schidigera, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Iodine, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B6 Supplement, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate.
Agar-agar, cassia, and guar gum, yikes this food is basically gum.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rad Cat and Merrick aren't even in the same ballpark. Variety is key to preventing boredom but if your cats like raw why offer them sketchy canned food? You can make your own for half the price of Rad Cat with EZcomplete or alnutrin and rotate in Rad Cat to keep costs down. I feed a rotation of RC and food I make with EZ.
I can’t afford raw foods any longer. I mean I could keep going but this is too much, and I need to think about savings. I won’t buy actual meat, it’s already hard for me to handle Rad Cat, I gag every time I feed it.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t afford raw foods any longer. I mean I could keep going but this is too much, and I need to think about savings. I won’t buy actual meat, it’s already hard for me to handle Rad Cat, I gag every time I feed it.
I know vegans and vegetarians making raw food for their cats. It's so easy it's literally no different than buying Rad Cat, and it's giving your cats the best food you possibly can.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are visibly hungry and slimmer, yet they won’t eat anything (apart from dry food, which I limit because I don’t want them to get crystals). They usually end up eating the Rad Cat (reluctantly, now) but they spend time being hungry and unhappy first... it breaks my heart.
What should I do and why are cats so difficult with their food?? Why do they let themselves be hungry like this...
ok, you are wanting to find a way through this, while keeping budget and other constraints in mind.

One of the things that will help is to discard the mind-set that one brand of wet/canned will get the job done, which doesn't impact expenses in a major way, when the more expensive brands are purchased less frequently.
The other thing is that there are more options available to you than you might realize. Some methods do require patience and an acceptance that working to find what your furbuddies want can be challenging at times.

Your cats aren't being difficult, they are; 1. looking for more variety, 2. dealing with manufacturer changes and 3. liking their kibble a LOT.

Try toppers on a combination/rotation of expensive and inexpensive wet food. I think this has been mentioned also, they love their kibble, use that as a topper.

Take a look at some of the not-big-brand canned and pouch foods and treats that are available now in local grocery stores and Walmart. There are three-four that aren't horrible in each, such as Pet Pride, Pure Balance and luvsome, Sheba meaty sticks treats (also a good topper option), Delectables treat pouches, Special Kitty, Abound.

Also, try Purina Muse, and try Applaws. Also within some of these brands, try varieties designated as being for kittens.

In the meantime as mentioned, add moisture to dry food, --try water, then unseasoned broth (don't leave moistened dry food out for more than an hour or so due to bacteria) for timed meals.

Then free feed dry kibble to keep your cats eating so that they don't continue on this path of losing weight and possibly getting dehydrated.

Throw out any opened cans if you haven't already, hang on to unopened cans and tubs, those can come in handy down the road when tastebuds come back around. If not, local shelters and TNR people are in desperate need.

Place food in different areas than usual, also add extra water bowls.

Good luck!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know vegans and vegetarians making raw food for their cats. It's so easy it's literally no different than buying Rad Cat, and it's giving your cats the best food you possibly can.
I don't think it will be the best for me and my future schedule, unfortunately. It's just not for me: I don't want to buy and handle meat that way, I will already struggle to cook for myself in the future (PhD, a lot of commuting--three hours a day), and I want it to be easy for other people to feed the cats if I need them to. I know you can freeze portions etc., but really logistically speaking (and personally), I don't feel comfortable making a switch that way. I'd rather try feeding both Rad Cat and cans in the long run, if I'm able to get them to do that... I like your blog, btw!

Furballsmom Furballsmom I hadn't thought of toppers! I grabbed some at the store, and they both ate a lot more tonight. Not as much as they used to, but more than they've been in the past weeks. They're still not super satisfied, but it helped! I just want to point out that they weren't that interested in the kibble, either.

All your suggestions are a lot to process right now, so I'll come back to them while I try to figure this out. Ideally I'd have them eat Rad Cat and cans, to lower spendings and make life a little easier for me in the future when I'll be commuting like crazy. Thank you so much for the support, here!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rad Cat and Merrick aren't even in the same ballpark. Variety is key to preventing boredom but if your cats like raw why offer them sketchy canned food? ...
re: Merrick....
At the end of the day, the cat decides. Getting them to eat what you want them to eat versus getting them to eat at all is the issue. If a person (like me or Yanaka) has spent months/ years/ dollars trying a huge variety of options, and learned what their individual cat will or will not eat consistently, at some point you just have to move forward from that.

RoryM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would try some of the more established brands such as Purina Pro Plan or Royal Canin as with these larger companies you can be sure that what is on the label is actually in the product. I've noticed with my own cat that she has more of an aversion to textures than flavors. She'll turn up most patés, but if I get something with minced or slices, she'll eat it all in one sitting, no matter the flavor. Her favorite is the Royal Canin, but cats can be so finicky it's hard to tell if your kitty would eat the same. Purina does make hypoallergenic prescription diets like the HA hydrolyzed protein diet which may be another thing to ask your vet about.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
re: Merrick....
At the end of the day, the cat decides. Getting them to eat what you want them to eat versus getting them to eat at all is the issue. If a person (like me or Yanaka) has spent months/ years/ dollars trying a huge variety of options, and learned what their individual cat will or will not eat consistently, at some point you just have to move forward from that.
Exactly. Cats and humans often seem to have very different visions of what's ideal to feed. I'm lucky that the cats and I have a lot in common but there's only so many times I'll sprinkle a second or third dose of Pure Bite or Feline Natural dust on the same dish of some kind of super-healthy canned food for Ireland that she doesn't really like if she'll eat a huge portion of Nutro Natural Choice minced or chunky chicken or, yes, Fancy Feast Classic turkey without any topper at all. At some point, sanity -- for both the cat and Cat Catering -- has to come in.

Lots of other practical limitations come into this, too, and I totally understand Yanaka Yanaka 's concerns about time and making raw food: I'm not in grad school or commuting three hours a day but my work is all-consuming enough (in the mental bandwidth sense) that making more cat food would just put me over the edge. It's just not going to happen.

One other thing: Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned feeding in new places. It sounds weird but it can be very helpful! Picky Ireland often leads me to where she wants to eat. And heaven forbid if I don't feed her where she wants to be fed.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

One other thing: Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned feeding in new places. It sounds weird but it can be very helpful! Picky Ireland often leads me to where she wants to eat. And heaven forbid if I don't feed her where she wants to be fed.
Milly is not averse to being fed in bed on occasion. :paperbag:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milly is not averse to being fed in bed on occasion. :paperbag:
I totally understand! Our cats got respiratory infections shortly after we adopted them and one of them decided to sleep in the duvet cover (which we then called the nap sack). She didn't come out of there much so I'd just stick a food dish inside. And she ate there: I think it helped that the smell of the food (it was canned Friskies, that's what the shelter had sent the cats home with, which was perfect because it has a strong smell) was so concentrated. Fortunately, Edwina's spot was at the end of the bed, where the edge of duvet cover was at floor level. :p The vet came for a house call during that time and loved the arrangement!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As of the past two days, the kittehs have been eating more! I’ve been serving them a mixture of Rad Cat and Merrick LID, both turkey, with warm water. Their appetite isn’t huge and I still leave them dry food during the day since they’re still so young and have lost mass, but they are doing better! I’m hoping this will keep going and they will even treat me with liking the Merrick on its own one day. I am not sure why they loved the Rad Cat then hated it and now like it again, but I’ll take it.