Should I...?

• Wait

• Find her a new family

Results are only viewable after voting.

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two male cats, one is 13 years old (F) and the other one is 3 years old (B). When B came he was around 5 months old and F didn't really care much, he mostly ignored him and eventually they started to get along, but it didn't take long.
Two days ago I found a female cat, she can't be more than 2 months old. She was on the middle of the street and looked like she hadn't been eating much. So I bought her home. I asked around to see if anyone own her, but no one claimed her.
Well, my cats don't like her. F completely ignores her, but when she approaches him he hisses. And B, I don't really know if they play or fight. He seems relaxed and tense at the same time. The fact that she is so small and wants to play all the time isn't helping. She keep chasing after them.
This morning B tried to pee a bed and refused to use his box, so I had to take him outside so he wouldn't make a mess.
I'm trying to follow the everyday routine, and to spend individual time with my boys so they don't feel ignored or anything. But still, they don't seem to like her at all. I feel guilty for making them upset.
The question is: is this normal? How long is it going to take for them to get used to each other? Should I look for a new family for her? I don't want to give her up, but I feel like I'm hurting my cats. I just feel so guilty!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news, all is fine. Two days is nothing. Plus, its the three year old having some trouble, not the 13 year old. Thats very good news, since age matters, a lot. The 13 year old could easily have had long lasting serious issues with the kitten. But she is fine. By contrast, 3 is young enough that there is a better than 50% chance they will end up friends despite the start. So if one cat had to have a hard time adjusting, the three year old is the cat you want having the issues.

Some hissing, growling and even a "get away" swat is totally normal. However, with the possible inappropriate urination though, it is likely that for the moment, the 3 year old is a bit too stressed and it would have been better to do what we call a formal introduction process. Probably you should go backwards and do an introduction process lasting perhaps two weeks, so I'll link the guide below:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

I think we also have a specific guide for introducing a kitten, but its really not any different other than that you have to understand what rough play looks like between and adult and a kitten, or once the three year old and the kitten start to play you'll be right back here fearing murder is imminent. We get that all the time.

P.S. If you didn't take the kitten to the vet, do that asap as it might have worms or other issues that could spread to the older cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As A ArtNJ has posted, if you haven't already, do take the kitten to the vet for a checkup to ensure she's healthy, and doesn't have any illnesses that she could give to your older cats. Meanwhile, I would suggest keeping the kitten away from the older cats, just to be safe. That will also set up the opportunity to re-start introductions once she's back from the vet. Even if she's been to the vet already, I would suggest keeping her in another room and re-starting introductions.

Here's the kitten to older cat introduction article A ArtNJ mentioned: How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Also one on Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your advice! It wasn't necessary to re-introduce them in the end. The kitten now sleeps with my oldest cat, though they don't really play together. And thankfully the three year old didn't have anymore pee-problems, and plays with her, though he doesn't want the kitten to sleep in my bed. Hopefully with time they'll be friends.
Thank you again!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great that things improved so quickly. Thanks for the update.