My Cats Don't Like Leftovers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what about those that just like to lick the gravy and or juices off the pate and leave dried chunks of pate. My Maggie is very very bad about doing that. I have tried to save 'her' food for her but, no gravy....no dice. They just are not getting into new foods. Maybe too set in their ways......9 and 10 years old. Guess I am going to have to stick to what they will eat. Just wasted 4 cans of 'healthy food.'

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of fancy brands are too fancy for picky cats. Not every cat is going to like clay and cranberries or whatever other prebiotic nonsense in their food. Did you try Fancy Feast Classic pate? Another I recommended was Purina Beyond wet food. Krista took to both of these without issue after eating only dry for 12 years. Tiki Cat is another brand that's popular with cats because it's basically meat and moisture, or meat, moisture, and organs with their After Dark line. Besides that pates will have more calories, more food per can, I prefer feeding pates because there's no gravy. I want her to eat food, not gravy. Lately I have also been adding Wild Salmon Oil to her cans, stir that up, and feed every portion from a baggie warmed in hot water. They all come out "mouse temperature" so there's no difference between first portion and last portion.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that is a pate. Stir it up before serving. Don't give her the opportunity to be a gravy-licker.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
what about those that just like to lick the gravy and or juices off the pate and leave dried chunks of pate. My Maggie is very very bad about doing that. I have tried to save 'her' food for her but, no gravy....no dice. They just are not getting into new foods. Maybe too set in their ways......9 and 10 years old. Guess I am going to have to stick to what they will eat. Just wasted 4 cans of 'healthy food.'
Yep.Thats the same way Snowball will do if I give him pate:agree::yummy:.Hes almost 11yrs in July.He will lick the juice off n leave the chunk.:catman:

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you try Fancy Feast Classic pate? Another I recommended was Purina Beyond wet food.
My local market didn't have either one. They had FF Gourmet and nothing Beyond. Next time I get to Petco or PetSmart I will look for them.Tiki was one that I tried and they just licked the juice. For some reason they don't take to the shreds, minced, or filets. The just seem to care for the pate. Nutro sounds interesting so will look for that as well. I shop a lot from Chewy but don't want to buy a whole case of something until I know they will eat it. Will try the recommendations mentioned from all of you. Thanks. Will let you know how they take to the 3 mentioned.

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK I will check PetSmart. We also have a Tractor Supply in Greeley. Murdochs didn't have the FF Classic or Beyond. That is where I got the Tiki and Organic Earth Farm. Have also tried Stella and Chewy. No go there either. :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My local market didn't have either one. They had FF Gourmet and nothing Beyond. Next time I get to Petco or PetSmart I will look for them.Tiki was one that I tried and they just licked the juice. For some reason they don't take to the shreds, minced, or filets. The just seem to care for the pate. Nutro sounds interesting so will look for that as well. I shop a lot from Chewy but don't want to buy a whole case of something until I know they will eat it. Will try the recommendations mentioned from all of you. Thanks. Will let you know how they take to the 3 mentioned.
Tiki Cat makes mousse toppers that you could stir into a pate to get your gravy-lover loving someone else’s pâté.

divyanka2111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat used to eat up the whole thing but now he also doesn't. I just sit next to him and that encourages him to eat lol. Otherwise try mixing a treat with it so they can eat it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Same thing with my cat Maggie. She starts eating if I talk to her. After eating she meows for me to come to the living room. Meows again later till she hears my voice

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just sit next to him and that encourages him to eat lol.
Same thing with my cat Maggie. She starts eating if I talk to her. After eating she meows for me to come to the living room. Meows again later till she hears my voice
LOL:flail::flail:What we don't do for our felines. My Maggie (I have a Maggie too) eats breakfast fine, but come lunch, she follows me around and talks incessantly until I pick her up and 'sit' with her for at least a half an hour. Then she can sit by herself and nap the rest of the afternoon.:lol::lol: After supper, she wants to go outside to 'clean up' ie groom. Mid morning it is treat time. I went to PetSmart today to pick up some FF Classic and someone said Sheba was good so I will give them a try tomorrow. I just love em all!!!!:redheartpump::redheartpump::purr::happycat::happycat:

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A lot of fancy brands are too fancy for picky cats. Not every cat is going to like clay and cranberries or whatever other prebiotic nonsense in their food. Did you try Fancy Feast Classic pate?
I bought several varieties of FF Classics and some they liked and some not so much. They love the chicken feast.:yess: I will continue to feed the Classics and give Nutro a try after they get accustomed to FF Classics. If I try new things too much, they get so they don't eat anything. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I agree about the 'new' foods. Too much of stuff my kitties have no interest in. I will try Purina Beyond at a later date as well. Right now, they are eating FF Classics so will stick with that for a while.:yummy:

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I changed avatars. This is my precious Maggie.We have had her 10 years and she and Buttons have been through a lot with my husband and me. Our kitties get an exam and vaccinated every year and they remain healthy so I am not overly concerned about changing their food. I think what is most important is they get enough water so I feed wet food, wash their dishes after each meal, and give fresh water every day. They do get treats for 'desert'.:yummy::lol: I want to keep them around as long as possible so if I can get them to eat healthier foods, I will. They are my family.:hearthrob::hearthrob::happycat::petcat:

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you try Fancy Feast Classic pate?
Great News. My kitties love FF classic. I grabbed a FF Gourmet Classic by mistake and they wouldn't touch that, but they like 4 flavors of FF Classics. Will try some of the other classic flavors . Just read an article about not feeding cats fish flavored wet food due to all the mercury and chemicals found in the fish and NO dry food as it causes diabetes , kidney problems, and urinary problems later in life. Luckily, I picked Turkey Giblets, Chicken Feast, Tender Beef Feast and Tender Beef and liver feast so I am off to a good start. I also discovered if I warm their ceramic dishes in warm water before serving, they like it much better. They are eating FF Classics very well so have taken them off all dry foods and stick to FF Classic. Thanks

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add, have you tried blending your cat's food smooth? I find this works best with gravy-rich foods that don't have the rubbery-type shreds (though those will blend out too if you have a decent food processor). My Smo would only lick the gravy or broth off any wet food I offered her, so I tried blending it out and that's when she started licking everything up. I find this works best with wet food in gravy, I've tried it with pate as well but that tends to turn out grainy, even with water added.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I warm Krista's food using a baggie of food in hot water even for her fresh portions. So first portion, last portion, they all come out of the water bath "mouse temperature." Warming it up this way also releases more of the aromas. I don't eat rabbit (or any ground or air meat, but if it swims...) but her rabbit Rawz actually smells pretty good when I warm it up for her.
I just want to thank you! Gohan sometimes doesn’t eat his food and I tried this method and it’s a game changer for him! It really helps him eat more voraciously and finish more of it!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to thank you! Gohan sometimes doesn’t eat his food and I tried this method and it’s a game changer for him! It really helps him eat more voraciously and finish more of it!
I don’t know if Gohan does this or if he’s allowed to. Krista will join me on the kitchen counter while I weigh and warm her food. She’s allowed. I used to feed her raw up there so I didn’t have to clean raw off the floor. I call her either my furry foreman or my furry Gordon Ramsey because whenever I step into the kitchen she starts yelling at me. Sometimes she’s really pushy. She’ll head butt and give me little “hurry it up” love bites (more like nearly toothless nips.). Other times, she’ll patiently sit up there with me until the food goes into the water bath and I grab her clean plate from it’s drying spot. Then she gets pushy and loud. And I love it. Her spirited supervision and our interactions up there at the kitchen sink are some of my favorite times with her.
8FB13CC3-5EC7-417F-8CDB-3A268649A5E0.jpeg