my cats butt has a red tube when she poops

catlover102

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a rescue who i’ve had for more than 6 months now i don’t know if her butt was like this before or if it was recent but i noticed it from a while. there’s this tube like thing that comes out when she poops. I got her looked at by a vet he checked her internal temp and he said it was normal but i showed him the pictures and he said like an inflammation and it can be treated with antibiotics so he gave me some and i gave it to her but nothing really changed. she has given birth twice that i know of but the vet said she could be 2-3 so she could have given birth to more kittens. i read on google that pushing while giving birth could affect it but i honeslty don’t know what to believe because there are also many other possibilities. she seems fine, she plays and she doesn’t look like she’s straining while pooping and she doesn’t have diarrhea. Does anyone know what this could possibly be?
64867861-C148-4E90-96E9-2140833A9AAD.jpeg
DCA77E22-1F07-4030-B6AE-742709F18417.jpeg
64867861-C148-4E90-96E9-2140833A9AAD.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover102

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i’ll definitely talk to the vet about it. Do you think giving birth may have caused it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are even kittens that are born with rectal prolapse, so I am not sure whether or not having kittens would attribute to that. Maybe... Another question for the vet! And, maybe some members who have dealt with cats who have had litters will be able to shed some light on the matter.

Normally, a simple stitch is done to secure the interior portion of the anus that is protruding and that usually takes care of it.

Last edited:

happyfeet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Catlover102, what was the final outcome with this? I have an identical looking situation happening with one of my cats right now, I'm awaiting a call back from my vet but was wondering if you could share any additional info that isn't included in the thread here. Thanks!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a rectal prolapse--happneing only when your baby is pooping. It needs to be surgically repaired. If you are fostering, then the Rescue Organization needs to know about this.. and the fact that the Vet refused to do anything.

Poor baby.. It must be so uncomfortable for her... I would not let this go. It could get infected or become a Permanent issue. Please get it repaired...

Some Vets who work with rescues, are not willing to do surgery, since they provide their services at a reduced rate; they do the minimum work, needed.

Donny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should talk to a vet. Vets usually replace small or incomplete prolapses.