My Cats Bring Home A Feral Cat

maine&black

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cat community, We have two cats. One is a Maine Coon and the other is a solid Black cat until the sun sometimes reveals very subtle Tabby stripes. In the beginning they were inside cats, but about at 1 years old we have been letting them out but leashed while being monitored. For the past few years they now have been roaming around the neighbourhood freely. They are 5+ years at this point. Recently, and this is not the first time, they have brought a young cat home. They chased the first one away. Now there's a new young cat that has followed them home. Looks just like our black cat. I feel so bad for these visitors. Is the proper thing to do to ignore it. It obviously wants to come in upon letting my cats in, but that is unfortunately not an option. Is feeding this cat a bad idea? Please help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Here are my thoughts;
If the strays look decently fed, see if you can trap them and get them to a vet for a microchip check.
If they look thin, it's the same thought except here if an ear isn't tipped take them to a vet, check for a microchip and if there isn't one have the cat spayed or neutered.

If this is more than you can do, I'd suggest that you keep your wanderers home and safely inside, or build them a catio.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maine&black

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. It does look healthy, as if its fed however, has no collar. Is it dumb to assume there is no owner if there is no collar? Taking the cat in to the vet is a good idea, it has actually crossed my mind, but that means It would have to remain trapped over night as it on comes around 9:30 in the evenings. If I lived on my own, theres no question I would take this cat in overnight, however, I dont think I could deal with leaving it in the garage overnight. If I see it during the day, then thats different. Everytime my cats bring home a 'friend' its at night.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it dumb to assume there is no owner if there is no collar?
Well, not dumb, but a lot of cat owners don't put collars on their cats.

that means It would have to remain trapped over night as it on comes around 9:30 in the evenings.
you're right, this would not be good, unless it's in your garage? I'm not clear about that part.