my cats breathing (video)

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone

my cat Luna is 1 year old female scottish fold and we have been experiencing some breating problems for a month (panting after a small exercise, sometimes panting out of no where, sounds like her nose is blocked). I had numerous vet visits, no abnormal sounds from chest or heart, clear xray and we couldnt find the reason. I am thinking it can be minor URI or allergies but i also book an appointment from a cardiologist to have a peace of mind.
I am adding her resting video, does it look OK to you?

thanks!
(she purring in the video :))

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vets outrule asthma? I know asthma can get hard to diagnose in humans as a human might have an allergy-induced asthma attack at home and be totally normal at the clinic. But the video made me think of an asthmatic cat I know. I think you are on the right track with more vet visits including a cardiologist. In the meantime I would try to get rid of all common allergens in the house - anything with scent, a hypoallergenic litterbox material, dust mite and pollen as much as you can, etc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your answe
Did the vets outrule asthma? I know asthma can get hard to diagnose in humans as a human might have an allergy-induced asthma attack at home and be totally normal at the clinic. But the video made me think of an asthmatic cat I know. I think you are on the right track with more vet visits including a cardiologist. In the meantime I would try to get rid of all common allergens in the house - anything with scent, a hypoallergenic litterbox material, dust mite and pollen as much as you can, etc
Thanks for your answer. We didn’t talk about asthma because her lung sounds clear, xray looked clear and she never had anything like asthma attack (coughing etc). But i wil definetely bring this up during our next appointment.

I notice her chest area is also raising (also in the video) when she exhales which concerned me but Luna is my first cat and i really don’t have any idea of a normal cat breathing, thats why i started this thread.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your answe

Thanks for your answer. We didn’t talk about asthma because her lung sounds clear, xray looked clear and she never had anything like asthma attack (coughing etc). But i wil definetely bring this up during our next appointment.

I notice her chest area is also raising (also in the video) when she exhales which concerned me but Luna is my first cat and i really don’t have any idea of a normal cat breathing, thats why i started this thread.
Scottish folds unfortunately have genetic issues by default so it’s always good to be on the cautious side. Animal welfare organizations try to get breeding them banned even in their home country the UK because of this. I apologize for making you upset but because you said it’s your first cat, I suspect you may not know these and I wanted to highlight it’s extra important to not risk it with them.

If they only took xray sometimes MRI is needed. Are you by any chance in Istanbul?

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Scottish folds unfortunately have genetic issues by default so it’s always good to be on the cautious side. Animal welfare organizations try to get breeding them banned even in their home country the UK because of this. I apologize for making you upset but because you said it’s your first cat, I suspect you may not know these and I wanted to highlight it’s extra important to not risk it with them.

If they only took xray sometimes MRI is needed. Are you by any chance in Istanbul?
thanks for your explanation im definitely gonna be more cautious and i hope our problem now is just a minor respiratory infection or allergies:(

yes I am based in Istanbul.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for your explanation im definitely gonna be more cautious and i hope our problem now is just a minor respiratory infection or allergies:(

yes I am based in Istanbul.
There’s VeteLife in Suadiye.The vet Çağlar Kondu there is very experienced in nose-related breathing problems’ surgeries. If it turns out to be something like that, I would personally take the kitty to her.

And please support us volunteers to get the breeding/selling banned in Turkey too. I’m glad your kitty has you but many Scottish humans abandon their cats when they start to have health issues.

p.s. It may be nothing serious. That’s also an option! No panic :-)

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ypı
There’s VeteLife in Suadiye.The vet Çağlar Kondu there is very experienced in nose-related breathing problems’ surgeries. If it turns out to be something like that, I would personally take the kitty to her.

And please support us volunteers to get the breeding/selling banned in Turkey too. I’m glad your kitty has you but many Scottish humans abandon their cats when they start to have health issues.

p.s. It may be nothing serious. That’s also an option! No panic :-)
you are a life saver I am gonna search your recommendation!

you may know Turkey has huge stray cat population and i am one of the volunteers who are working against selling animals for money when there are too many abondoned and homeless cats around where people can adopt and take care for free! so im definetely against breeding cats like scottish folds, persians etc and selling them however there arent any propler animal regulations here and volunteers are not that strong tbh. But we are at least working on raising awareness among people.

The reason I have a scottish fold cat is a friend of mine’s cat gave birth and I didn’t want that kitten to end up in the street :( please let me know if you need any support on anything!

thanks again, i love how helpful people are in this website!