My cats are driving me crazy

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #61

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Nov 5, 2021
Messages
157
Purraise
149
Dude still meows all day. The Gabapentin worked for a while, but he's back at it. It's exhausting. I'm at the point where I wonder if I even want to keep him. The surgery is horrendously expensive. It's a no-win situation at this point.
 

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Nov 21, 2019
Messages
1,490
Purraise
3,532
Location
Milwaukee, WI
Dude still meows all day. The Gabapentin worked for a while, but he's back at it. It's exhausting. I'm at the point where I wonder if I even want to keep him. The surgery is horrendously expensive. It's a no-win situation at this point.
You mean you can't afford the surgery? You made it sound like it was scheduled and you'd made a decision.

I can't advise anyone on what to do in such a situation, but it sounds like he's in a ton of pain and this is not going to stop until he gets the treatment he needs. Did you expect it to stop just from the addition of gabapentin? I'm only a passive observer with limited information, and I figured gabapentin was only a temporary thing that may or may not help as you await the treatment.

If you decide not to keep him, or cannot do the surgery, then is there really any other option but euthanasia, given his condition? I'm genuinely asking. It's obviously infeasible to adopt out a cat with a serious medical complication needing immediate life-saving treatment. And if he's in this much pain, what other option is there?

I don't have answers, I'm just asking questions. I don't see it as a "no-win" situation if you actually want to keep Dude and have the means to get him fixed up. There's a clear winnable path there, even if expensive. But I definitely understand financial limitations, so if you can't follow that path, then I don't know what other options there are.
 

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Jun 10, 2023
Messages
1,700
Purraise
2,391
Location
West Virginia
There are financial options one being care credit. Or if needed I would also hold off on paying a bill I'd call and just ask for an extension. I would also try to set up a payment plan at the vet for him. I also was under the impression you had the surgery date set with your one post saying it was soon. Is there anyway to work out the financial part? If it were me I would find any way to pay for the surgery. There is nothing you can do for him but get the surgery or have him euthanized. As unfortunate as this may be (I would never recommend this) but if you know for sure you can't afford the surgery some how then he shouldn't continue suffering. This is breaking my heart even thinking about it. I really hope you come up with some way to get his surgery done. Please keep us posted. Little Dude is in my thoughts and prayers.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #64

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Nov 5, 2021
Messages
157
Purraise
149
I can pay for the surgery. And of course I'm going ahead with it. It's on Monday morning.

What I mean is that he is not crying because he's in pain. He's had this condition for many years. Since I've had him he's never showed any sign of discomfort. On the contrary; he's the most lively cat I've ever had. This is about going outside. The behaviour started after I moved here. He cries at the doors and windows all day long. He scrapes at the doors and windows all day long. I worry that he'll have his surgery and recover and the behaviour will continue. It is truly maddening. He never shuts up. Never. It's torture. That's my no-win situation.
 

englishpixie

TCS Member
Kitten
Joined
Sep 23, 2023
Messages
10
Purraise
12
Location
Milton Keynes, UK
You could try something like this to help them feel a little more chill - I just started it with my two girls yesterday and they do seem calmer: Beaphar calming spot on for cats

I’m sorry things are so hard right now for you. When things are tough everything feels bigger and tougher to deal with, especially if you’re sleep-deprived. I hope the surgery helps Dude settle and you can both feel a bit better.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #67

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Nov 5, 2021
Messages
157
Purraise
149
Thank you, but I feel if the Gabapentin doesn't calm him nothing will. It's tough to think about spending 15K on a cat that is driving me nuts. And my other cat has simply retreated to the bedroom and rarely comes out now.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #68

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Nov 5, 2021
Messages
157
Purraise
149
Okay, so here's the update.

Dude sailed through his surgery. Fortunately his abdominal organs were around his heart and not his lungs, which means the surgery team didn't have to worry about re-inflating his lungs -- the most dangerous part of the operation. He no longer wheezes when he plays and runs, so it's a success. Unfortunately, it did not in any way stop him from pacing and howling to go outside all day long. After a few more months of putting up with it, I finally just opened the door and let him out. I was told by the SPCA that he was an indoor cat, but there's no way that's true. He's absolutely confident outside and vanishes for hours at a time. I've never seen him so happy. I'll make an appointment for him to have his outdoor shots next week. Whatever will be, will be.

As for Willow, once Dude was allowed out, she had to be, too. I don't worry about her. She goes out for half an hour at a time but stays in the garden. She still howls at my door in the morning, but at least I don't have to listen to Dude pacing around and howling all day.
 
Top