My cats are always bored

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And they are driving me nuts and I feel bad for them.

Whenever they want my attention, I pick up their toys and try to play with them. They show interest for all of two seconds and then are bored. And I try various play options. They have cardboard boxes, flat pleated cardboard, paper, crinkle tunnel, play mat. All sorts of toys from little mice to wand toys to lasers to electronic balls.

My grey and black tabby likes to be chased around the house like a dog. I engage with this when I am physically up for it (I have chronic health issues.)

My orange cream boy likes the back door open in the evening, but it's too cold right now so doesn't stay long.

There is a bird feeder on the back porch so they have birds, squirrels, field mice to look at.

I am going to try engaging in brushing them when they want attention next, I guess. It's an activity. Also going to try whipping out the mice puzzle feeders again.

I just feel bad for them cause nothing seems to make them happy.

They also rarely play with each other anymore. And when they do, the one that doesn't want to play often gets bullied and I have to shoo the bullier away.

I am at my wits end. Maybe it's just cause I am home more right now due to the pandemic and notice it more. Do your cats often just sit and stare off into space? Any suggestions on how to help ease their boredom?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are the same way. I often worry about it too. I think what really helps is to keep all the toys 'fresh'. What I mean by that is to hide some of them for a month or two and then bring them back out. I keep their small stuffed toys in a plastic bag filled with catnip. It helps to stay away from the 'same old, same old'. I think I'll bring the laser light out next. I hate to see them just lying around, but then I think of the poor outside cats in the snow and zero degrees, and tell them how lucky they are. ( those cats DO have heated huts and food and water). I celebrate every day when they get the 'cat crazies' and run around like mad, this new house is multi-storied and huge, so that helps. They want to be around us all the time, so are always in the same room on our laps if we are sitting, staring when we are doing something else. So maybe that keeps them a little more interested, but with winter we are moving around and doing less too! I'll get some different stuffed toys the next time I go to Walmart, they'll be happy for at least a day! I really am interested in seeing what others have come up with. Puzzle toys and those that are interactive might be the ticket!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine always asks me to play with her then when I bring the toys out and start to play she looks at me as if I am crazy and just sits watching me.
I just try different things, a length of ribbon under a rug and pull it, throwing a rolled up ball of kitchen foil, an empty toilet roll, washed bird feathers found outside tied to a piece of string. Having spent a fortune on toys, I have found things around the house work just as well and cost nothing.