My Cats and My Depression

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been having very bad days; some days are too bad that anything makes me weep. Other times I just seem to not want to move at all, frozen in my own emotional turmoil.

But anyway, as for my cats - they seem to follow me around the house lately all the time as if they can sense my distress. Where I am, they are all there. It does not matter if one is on top of the counter or another is sitting on my foot, or wherever. But they have to be near me.

I was very deep in my thoughts and when I looked down from the couch I saw Bourbon, looking up at me with seemingly concern in her eyes. She stayed there like that for several minutes, just staring.

271A6384-17C1-4D69-BED7-22658526C33A.jpeg

When I pass through this, I would credit the majority of my recovery to my cats, especially to my Bourbon.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've struggled with depression for most of my life and had plenty of days where it hurt too much just being conscious so I just took naps all the time. Cats definitely do help. There's just something so soothing about the sound of purring. Stroking soft fur can also be relaxing. It's so sweet your babies are looking out for you. We're here for you, too :grouphug:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As someone who is struggling with chronic depression, I know exactly how you feel. You're right-cats seem to know when we're ill (and depression is a form of illness.) At the *very* least, their presence means you have somebody to take care of, to get out of bed for.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Those felines of yours are very special.

I too suffer from deep depression and have all of my life- it sucks to be dealt that particular card. The only cats who have ever shown me any empathy was a Siamese cat named Thai Yang, who I had when I was little, and my girl, Jeff.

I know that you are taking the proper steps, medical wise, so I won't go there- just know that your cats love you and are there for you, as we all are.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was getting cat's that helped me when I was depressed. I thought I'd have to up my medication but the cat's were wonderful for me. They do seem to know how you feel you have a special bond with Bourbon it's obvious the way she looks at you. Reasons for getting out of bed your fur babies it helped me so much.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I suffer from depression n anxiety...And yes my Snowball helps me ALOT...Animals can be very therapeutic....For their humans....And in my situation..its my cat...And yes they can sense something is wrong..I believe...

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give some credit for my recovery from depression to my late cat, Willie. Cats know when we are hurting and in their own way, they let us know that we are loved and needed.
I hope your depression lets up at least some. It definitely sucks. I hope you have a good support system around you to help as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I am not taking any meds, and have not sought any professional help so far. As I think it is not available here where I am, or if there is it could be very expensive. I am an expat living very far away from my family.

It really is hard. I have dealt with this depression on and off. Nobody around me seems to understand. Yesterday I told my brother on a text message that all I want is to log off from life as I do feel so very tired already. I have a very loving and close family, but they are so far away.

Yesterday I was crying and once again Bourbon was looking at me intently from the cat tree. She is the reason I need to rise up in the morning, and go to work still even if my heart aches so bad.

JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia I also believe there should be a special thread here as you said. I know this is a cat's forum, but at least those who suffer the way I do can have somewhere to go to. Writing helps. Knowing somebody cares, even strangers, helps.

Thank you all for your loving thoughts. Appreciate it.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not taking any meds, and have not sought any professional help so far. As I think it is not available here where I am, or if there is it could be very expensive. I am an expat living very far away from my family.

It really is hard. I have dealt with this depression on and off. Nobody around me seems to understand. Yesterday I told my brother on a text message that all I want is to log off from life as I do feel so very tired already. I have a very loving and close family, but they are so far away.

Yesterday I was crying and once again Bourbon was looking at me intently from the cat tree. She is the reason I need to rise up in the morning, and go to work still even if my heart aches so bad.

JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia I also believe there should be a special thread here as you said. I know this is a cat's forum, but at least those who suffer the way I do can have somewhere to go to. Writing helps. Knowing somebody cares, even strangers, helps.

Thank you all for your loving thoughts. Appreciate it.
We do care and more people than you realise have been were you are. I went down the medication road, But when my daughter was depressed she decided to talk to a counsellor. She has never seen her in person they Skype. It was a 10 week course with qualified councillor she picked who she felt comfortable with. There's also a support group after counselling has finished. It's worth looking into if services aren't available but please make sure they are qualified. Talk to family, friends whether it's text,or phone,Skype, I am so thankful to the NHS. Your not alone there's light at the end of the tunnel :alright:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
It really is hard. I have dealt with this depression on and off. Nobody around me seems to understand.
~ We can't expect the average "normal" person to understand moods and emotional difficulties - just like the average person may not "get it" how we feel attached to our pets. Even some people who are depressed do not even know what they are feeling - or why.
There are websites you can visit that may help. See what you think of this site.
Depression Chat Rooms -

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
~ We can't expect the average "normal" person to understand moods and emotional difficulties - just like the average person may not "get it" how we feel attached to our pets. Even some people who are depressed do not even know what they are feeling - or why.
There are websites you can visit that may help. See what you think of this site.
Depression Chat Rooms -
Thank you. I will try to look at this site.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried L-Tryptophan or Holy Basil or fish oil? These are all things that can naturally help boost your mood.

I also had issues with depression and anxiety but thankfully have been pretty good lately despite life beating me up off and on for the last 2.5 years, and I know Sylvester and the others help me feel better about things. I look at him and realize and will never forget the bad shape that he was in when I got him, and it was 3 months after Sebastian died in my arms so we were both hurting, BADLY, but like I still will tell him at times to this day when I hug and hold him "we found each other....in the darkness.......we helped each other...." and we are still helping each other and will continue to do so just as your cats are doing, that picture of Bourbon is adorable, those soulful eyes asking "what's wrong, Mommy, how can I help?" :rbheart:

Stay strong and stay in touch on here and play string toys with your cats, that always helps me.....

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria,

Is there a way you could see a doc? I have lived with clinical depression for 37 years. Some days, weeks, years
are better than some but there are times when it rears it's ugly head and I feel like I'm barely hanging on. Doc
will usually up one of my meds and I'll drink Ensure, eat cashews, bananas, grapes because the first thing that
happens is a loss of appetite; others can go the other way and consume a lot of food. There is a lot of help
if you can't afford the meds.Have you looked for a counselor?

I know this may be difficult but taking a walk helps me. There are benches in my town square and a gazebo.
I'll walk there, piling my pillows on top of my walker, bring a book and some snacks. I don't feel so isolated
when I do this but it's difficult in the winter.

Maybe there should be a special Psychology & Depression thread ..
I sooo agree. why don' you start one?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winter month depression has been proven to be helped with light therapy, as simple as sitting under special spectrum lights in your home. You can research different 'natural' ways to help depression, even supplements, though I would definitely read the reviews on these to see which ones really help. St. Johns Wort is one. Most raise/ help the levels of serotonin in your body. It wouldn't hurt and give your mind something different to do with the research. If you get an physical of any kind at all, ask the Dr. about a mild antidepressant they have many out that really help cheaply, I was on one to help me quit smoking years ago and it really helped.
Depression is a natural development in our lives, the secret is to have something ready that won't let it take over your life. Something physical, like a special place to walk in, shopping, being with friends, talking to those who understand,or like you said above, taking care of your cats and animals. A thread here to talk out your feelings would be a good idea. As you know it is done a LOT on Crossing the Bridge. I have read many of your posts here at the site, all I see, and i have always thought you a warm, sincere person who understands what others are going through. Maybe you can continue to help others there on that thread or the many others where people are so lost and need someone to talk to. I know this site was a lifeline for me so many years ago when i was so lost and hopeless. Helping others by just acknowledging their pain, and even giving tips on what worked for you that helped, brings true comfort to the one offering comfort. You have invaluable knowledge on the behavioral actions of cats and most likely many other animals, you could start there by trying to help others with their problems. There are many young, inexperienced, first time cat people out there where your expertise would be a Godsend. Immerse yourself in helping others and in this way you help yourself, there is ALWAYS someone worse off then you, remember the old saying, "There but for the grace of God go I". I complain I have no shoes to wear for an occasion, and then remember those with no feet........

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lived with clinical depression for 37 years. Some days, weeks, years
are better than some but there are times when it rears it's ugly head and I feel like I'm barely hanging on.
~ Wow ... I would not have known this. Mia6 is always pleasant and friendly to everyone. She sseems to be very understanding and sensitive of others situations. I think most here who chat with her would agree ! 😉👌

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's lovely to hear that your cats have been helping you with your depression and I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling. Cats can be so beneficial to those of us who are struggling with mental health issues, and I speak from personal experience. I probably wouldn't be in the place I am now if it weren't for Toffee and Fudge.