My Cat Won't Take Care Of Her Kittens

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tamed a wild cat and she's still young, but could tear you up if she wanted to. I am waiting for her to be tamed enough to where vet visits wouldn't freak her out so that I can take her to have her spayed. I waited a wee bit too long :( . I had her outside roaming loose until I realized "I have a male cat", and then put her in a penned tree house for until I can get her spayed. I noticed her getting fat so I thought she had a bad case of worms (she'd never been wormed before) so I wormed her (small dose just in case) and a week or 2 later, I hear kitten meows. I go to the tree house to find KitKat having kittens, only, she's not doing ANYTHING about it. She was just sitting there like "What do I do with these things?". It had been out of her for a long time apparently, because both were completely dry. But, they both were still attached to her by their umbilical cords. I tied two pieces of thread to the cords and cut in between and one was fine, the other died during the night. When I went outside this morning, The one was fine, and the other was dead, and she had popped another one out, but again, it was attached to her by the umbilical cord. I did the same as I did before. The 2 kittens are fine now, but KitKat will not have a thing to do with them. If anything, she growls at them. I lay her beside the kittens, and try to get them to nurse, and they try, but nothing comes out. I give her teets a squeeze, but nothing. She must not have any milk. While I try to get the kittens cuddled up to her so they don't freeze, she swats at me, and growls at the kittens. I finally decided to feed the kittens myself, so I milked my goat and gave some to the kittens. They didn't even act hungry! What do I do? KitKat won't take care of them, and they won't eat. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you do have goat milk, it is fine as kmr.

Now, they are probably too cold and a little too weak.

1. Warm them up, and keep them warm. You can also massage them a little.

This is important, not only beccause not warm enough takes forces from them, but also

they cant proceed with the milk, it gets sour inside them so to speak (sorrry my english).

2. Their blood sugars are surely low. Put in some sugar on their gum!

Dextrose (glucose sugar) is best, but white caro syrup or honey should also be OK.

This will perk them up.

3.  A dropper is easier than bottle and nap, especielly if they are a little weak.

If you dont have dropper, just a bottle, try with making the hole a liiittle bigger, so it will be easier for them to suckle.

4. Last, but not least,  giving them bottle or dropper; they shall lie on tummy, head a little up. It seems awkward, but it is the postition they have when they nurse mom.

Wrong position makes a big risk they get the milk in lungs...

Good luck!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, thanks y'all, but the kitty's all died :'(
I will have KitKat spayed A.S.A.P!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im sorry to hear it. Tx for telling!

So you have access to raw goat milk?  Please make it known among rescuers in your vicinity. Raw goat milk is extra good, kittens gets probably some extra protection from it, now when they cant have protection for their moms milk.

I mean, the lost you had is irreversible, but you can use the experience and learning for future use, helping other kittens and puppies survive.

Good luck.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will have KitKat spayed A.S.A.P!
I will have KitKat spayed A.S.A.P![/quote

You did what you could to help. Sorry it turned out the way it did. I am going to lock this thread now. l You might want to consider posting a tribute to the kittens in our Crossing the Bridge Forum