My Cat Won't Stop Pooping On The Floor And I'm At A Loss As To Why & Getting Desperate

niika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last October my mom and I adopted a 5 year old cat from a shelter. She was found as a stray but was clearly owned by somebody before because she is declawed and spayed. We wondered why nobody looked for her and now joke it's probably because she doesn't use her darn litterbox properly. I've done a lot of reading online and swear I've just about tried everything suggested. She has three different sized open litterboxes in different spots around the basement, no other animals in the house, use enzyme cleaner whenever she poops on the floor, have tried multiple different litters and still can't get her to reliably poop in there.

She pees in the litter boxes no problem. And she will sometimes poop in one of them. I'd say maybe 30-40% of the time. I can't figure out any rhyme or reason for the times she does actually poop in the box, seems totally random. I clean the box at least once a day, usually twice. Sometimes there will be a couple pee clumps in there and she will still go poop in there, other times it will be totally clean and she'll go poop outside it. When she goes on the floor it's usually within a meter of her Main Litterbox, but occasionally it will be in a completely random spot of the room. She never goes pee or poop outside of the basement though, so I don't think location is the problem. I currently have her on Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter because its the one she seems to like most and that stuff ain't cheap but still not getting a high success rate.

She doesn't seem stressed, lounges around the house like a relaxed queen, and the poop is healthy. I feed her expensive af wet cat food. We took her to the vet when we brought her home and she got a clean bill of health. She has a cat tower, window perches, and I play with her with toys. I have no clue what else to do and the reason I'm getting desperate is because I'm living on residence for uni this fall and the plan was my mom takes care of her for a year until i move out of residence and get an apartment, but my mom says if this continues she will be giving her away and I can't blame her for not wanting to clean poop off the floor almost every single day. Help!! :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also she is declawed but she also has Dr. Elsey's kitten litter which is super super fine and soft and still no luck.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

VBG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Luka did that too. Vet determined that due to dehydration, pooping would be painful and difficult. In a box, they may not be able to position themselves as needed. Try some canned pumpkin, it's a natural stool softener. Then, ensure kitty has more than one water source. A fountain can encourage more frequent drinks. Or, a slow trickle of water in the tub.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, have you tried any calming diffusers? Keep in mind that there are a lot of products besides feliway, sush as thunderease, sentry, etc
You've had her to the vet just to be sure she's ok?
What happens if you have a litter box upstairs?
I haven't tried any calming diffusers, she really does not seem stressed at all though? My mom wants to keep the litterbox in the basement and the cat doesn't seem to mind going down there to do her business so I don't want to create another potential problem by moving the litterbox to a completely new space & risking confusion.

My Luka did that too. Vet determined that due to dehydration, pooping would be painful and difficult. In a box, they may not be able to position themselves as needed. Try some canned pumpkin, it's a natural stool softener. Then, ensure kitty has more than one water source. A fountain can encourage more frequent drinks. Or, a slow trickle of water in the tub.
She does have a water fountain and I add water to her canned food but no harm in adding pumpkin, I'll give it a shot.

VBG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried any calming diffusers, she really does not seem stressed at all though? My mom wants to keep the litterbox in the basement and the cat doesn't seem to mind going down there to do her business so I don't want to create another potential problem by moving the litterbox to a completely new space & risking confusion.

She does have a water fountain and I add water to her canned food but no harm in adding pumpkin, I'll give it a shot.
You can also try putting training pads near the box. They instinctively understand and can be re-directed with an option they find more comfortable.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again, my thinking about a calming product is that she might be smelling old scents from other pets that were in that house before, and a diffuser might help with that.
What I am hoping is that she gets in to a vet if she hasn't been in a while. The title is a bit dramatic but maybe there's something that helps;
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Also, try some potting soil in one of the boxes, see if that makes a difference?