My cat won’t stop peeing outside litterbox please help

Cristy15117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I got my cat about a year ago and she’s been great up until ~3mo ago when she started to pee outside her litterbox. My girlfriend and I have tried seemingly everything and we even had to throw out our couch because it was constantly being peed on. We tried changing the type of litter, changing it back, changing how often we clean it, putting on some of that anti anxiety scent diffuser, taking her to the vet (all good results), positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, training with a crate, spraying surfaces with vinegar or lemon, cleaning areas with different sprays, putting toys on areas she pees on, putting catnip, etc.

We did move recently but that was about 2mo before the behavior started happening and she did not seem stressed out about the move. She actually really likes our new place. I’m also pretty sure she knows that she’s doing something bad. We chastise her when she pees outside of the litterbox and more than once immediately after she pees and I turn to see, she will go running in the other direction. Moreover, today I yelled at her because she was eating ice cream I had left on the table (I had literally just turned around). She then proceeded to meow loudly and go away. Then, a minute after that, she goes and pees while looking directly at us. Whenever I stop her from doing something she’s not supposed to be doing ie. eating human food, telling her to get down, fighting with my other cat, etc. she does this. Additionally, she also pees whenever my girlfriend and I don’t sleep on the bed. We slept on the couch she pees on the couch, took a nap on the rug she pees on the rug, same thing for chair, air mattress, pillow, you name it. She also pees on any clothes we leave on the ground and has recently developed a habit of peeing in the bathtub. She once also peed on my girlfriend’s leg!

I’ve come to actually like her despite being a dog person, but my girlfriend and I cannot handle her behavior. Please give us advice on how to stop it.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that there is a stray cat or some other animals outside your home? Did you add a second or third litter box?

Chastising a cat never works. It will just make them afraid of you. Cats don’t respond to commands like dogs do. They just remember that you are aggressive and will fear you.

Actually, from how you describe it, it sounds like she is trying to get rid of your scent. Since she pees wherever you are. How often do you play with her? Do you have cat trees, etc.?

This may be helpful for you to watch:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cristy15117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By chastising I mean spraying with a water bottle. And I have 2 litter boxes because we have 2 cats but they only ever use 1. We live an apartment on the 5th floor so I highly doubt we have a stray...

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
By chastising I mean spraying with a water bottle. And I have 2 litter boxes because we have 2 cats but they only ever use 1. We live an apartment on the 5th floor so I highly doubt we have a stray...
Yes, spraying with a bottle is also a bad idea and will make the cat fear you.

I edited my post above- check the video I posted.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, a move is a big deal. Did you live on your own before? Your cat wants to feel like she owns her territory. Marking is a way of doing that. You may need to catify your apartment with her things. She needs to have her scent around.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Physical punishment, liker spraying and slapping, does not work with cats, it just makes them sneaky and afraid. You can punish a dog and it works because they are instinctively animals that listen to/fear the leader of the pack and modify their behavior to please the leader. Cats are much more independent and proud. She is afraid of you on top of being stressed out by the move, and possible strange cat smells from other cats in the building, either outside in the next apartment, or that were there before you. Cats try to hide fear/uncertainty very much. It is instinct. The looking at you and meowing means she is very much undecided about how you are going to react and is afraid and uncertain. She is marking your things, including yourself, to make you hers, to try to make a very stressful/uncomfortable situation tolerable and more comfortable. She may have a urinary tract infection too, I would have it checked out if she starts crying while peeing. to me she sounds liek a stressed out cat that is losing control. You might try to keep her in a small room with a litterbox when you can't watch her. It may give her a sense of security. Please try to understand this won't be forever, cats absolutely HATE change and she has been through a lot. Get a good enzyme cat urine spray ermover, it is simple to use and really helps in cleanup and removing smells. My Burt took almost a year to stop marking when we moved, and I know how frustrating this can be. Your little one needs to feel secure and loved, and although that is hard right now, it is the only thing that will make her quit. You are not alone, please try to remain calm and play with her, offering treats, it would go a long way.

Cristy15117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the way, a move is a big deal. Did you live on your own before? Your cat wants to feel like she owns her territory. Marking is a way of doing that. You may need to catify your apartment with her things. She needs to have her scent around.
It’s been 5months though? Wouldn’t the house be ‘catified’ already?
And same people/cats from move.

Cristy15117

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Physical punishment, liker spraying and slapping, does not work with cats, it just makes them sneaky and afraid. You can punish a dog and it works because they are instinctively animals that listen to/fear the leader of the pack and modify their behavior to please the leader. Cats are much more independent and proud. She is afraid of you on top of being stressed out by the move, and possible strange cat smells from other cats in the building, either outside in the next apartment, or that were there before you. Cats try to hide fear/uncertainty very much. It is instinct. The looking at you and meowing means she is very much undecided about how you are going to react and is afraid and uncertain. She is marking your things, including yourself, to make you hers, to try to make a very stressful/uncomfortable situation tolerable and more comfortable. She may have a urinary tract infection too, I would have it checked out if she starts crying while peeing. to me she sounds liek a stressed out cat that is losing control. You might try to keep her in a small room with a litterbox when you can't watch her. It may give her a sense of security. Please try to understand this won't be forever, cats absolutely HATE change and she has been through a lot. Get a good enzyme cat urine spray ermover, it is simple to use and really helps in cleanup and removing smells. My Burt took almost a year to stop marking when we moved, and I know how frustrating this can be. Your little one needs to feel secure and loved, and although that is hard right now, it is the only thing that will make her quit. You are not alone, please try to remain calm and play with her, offering treats, it would go a long way.
I can understand why the move would be stressful, but I’m confused on why the behavior would start 2.5 months after the move?
We took her to a vet and she has no health issues we also have tried different sprays including that one ^.
We also tried leaving her in the bathroom with litterbox but she just get antsy and will not stop meowing.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been 5months though? Wouldn’t the house be ‘catified’ already?
And same people/cats from move.
No, 5 months isn't that long, and neither is 2 months. By "catify" what I mean is you need to put things in your apartment that belong to her. Does she have her own cat tree? Bed? Blanket? Watch the video I linked and use the strategy of marking the spot every time she pees and you will notice a pattern start to emerge. Give her stuff that she can 'own' in the home. Some cats like to be up high so build her something that she can perch on. Whatever the issue is that is causing her to feel insecure is not going away, so you need to do some detective work to figure out what is making her feel that way. You want to build her security. Spraying her with water or yelling at her when she does something wrong is surely adding to her feeling of insecurity.

Also, the litter box rule is that you should have an extra litter box for the number of cats in your house. So if you have 2 cats, you should have 3 litter boxes.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know if any of your next door neighbors have a cat/a dog that she can smell?
Or are there loud kids around that she can hear?
Did the vet check her urine for any signs of UTI?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spraying with water never works:

Did the previous renters have a cat who may have left urine marks around the house which is now stressing out your cat?

Maybe some noise or scent only detectable to the cat is stressing her out?