My cat won’t stop peeing everywhere but the litter box

Ameran645

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats that I’ve raised since day one, for the first few years of their life they’ve been kept in one spacious room, but as the time passed they started to demand going outside (which I had to console with the rest of my family members as I was the sole owner of my cats). As they started to explore the rest of the house I placed two litter boxes in each level of the house so they could easily find them, there were no issues at first but after a couple of months I noticed that my female cat started peeing on things such as clothes if they were on the floor or shoes. The only thing she did in the litter box was poop in it, other than that the rest of the house became her peeing place, nothing changed in their diet, they were feed wet food and had regular vet checkup's, I took her to the vet and blood work came back normal and I got recommended a collar with calming pheromones which did work as far as her calming her down but she developed a rash on her neck and I removed the collar immediately. It’s been a year now and I’ve done everything I could, I added two more litter boxes, changed the litter to a more delicate one for the paws in case that was the problem, I cleaned the litter boxes three times a day, nothing seemed to work, and at this moment in time she spread the area to things such as toys, as long as something was on the floor she would pee on it. I don’t know what to do anymore, I won’t give up on her and seriously consider diapers as the temporary solution, but I wanted to console this problem with other fellow cat owners.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she is marking those things as hers. Cats usually do this when they are stressed. The only change I can see was that they were allowed the run of the house. Is she going outside? there may be cats out there that are making her nervous. I would keep them in, maybe try to confine her to that room again for a short time to see if she will use the box. If she does, then allow her in a limited area, one area at a time, to help her get more comfortable. You might get some calming treats on Amazon or a pet med site and see if that helps. Cats usually avoid a littler box because they don't like the box or the litter. Try changing some of the litter one more time in a few of the boxes to something else to see if that would help. My male did this when we moved, he DID quit but it took many months. Do try to keep things picked up fro now too, to not tempt her. I hope someone comes on with more suggestions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ameran645

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, both of them are kept in the house, also I did for a period of two weeks kept her in the room but it seems like once she started peeing in other places there was no going back :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you have an ENZYME urine destroyer like Natures Miracle around to clean the spots too. You dont want her smelling her scent around.

Ameran645

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought a couple with good reviews and try to clean it as soon as I spot it, I also tried putting an old but clean towel in an empty litter box to somehow compromise the situation but it’s been mostly a miss

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What type of litter are you using?
What types of litter boxes are you using?

Ameran645

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
for the first couple of years I’ve been using Cat's Best Original litter
Cats-Best-Original-Schaufel-Streu.png

then I switched to Almo Nature Cat litter
ALMO-NATURE-CAT-LITTER-ZWIREK-DLA-KOTA-4-54-kg.jpg

As of right now I'm using both with the addition of PREMIERE Excellent Odor Stop
46dda1776fb2a9e3d0c7009f6f42284ce0f8cc5f_7d3fe7cbd4d1fb6e7db6264d38fd002d87d2357b.jpg

As for the litter box itself I've bought three Ikea boxes 34 gallons each without the lid
b9549619fb5bba0362d7ece8200e0a05.jpg

I also cut out the side wall into a U shape so it would be easier for them to come in and out and sanded out the edges so it wouldn't scratch them.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ameran645 Ameran645 thanks again with your patience for her. We all want to try and help you. Please keep telling us what's working and what isn't so we can better give you ideas.

This first thing I will mention is that if she is not feeling secure in your home (which we know she is not by the peeing), then those boxes are not going to work for her. She will feel very trapped using them, even though you've modified them to have two exits (top and side)

Many cats when not feeling great are not going to want anything with a lid to begin with and will need a basic low-side litter that is available at the grocer or dollar store. You could even try one of those $5 ones from Walmart that have the trash clay litter in it already. (If clay was what your dad was using)

In the meantime, you can make some litters with a low box, a plastic bag and some litter. Low like the cardboard that comes on a case of catfood cans.

I don't see anything wrong with Almo. It looks like an excellent litter, though I've never used it. You could try a grain-ier litter like corn in one box (just one). Many others have had good luck with Dr. elsey's with litter attractant (I don't know about it but it's in many success stories).

I always recommend changing litter by changing one box over immediately and leaving the other two. In your case, the basic box that you'll put in the corner where she first started peeing should be the new litter. You're going to see if she begins using it, if yes how frequently and if it seems to be preferred to the other boxes. Either way, that helps us tailor our recommendations further afterwards

I don't know anything about ordur stop either so I can't comment on that.

I use a covered bin myself, but with the knowledge that if someone isn't feeling well that I'll have to take the lid off for a time. This is frequently for older cats.

I have a couple of different bins myself. We have one of those $4 dollar store ones for when anyone is sick. It's out 100% of the time now due to Nobel's age.
We have a corner box, a covered box and a high side box. Each cat has a preference. My late cat would use the corner box almost exclusively. Magnus uses it for poos only, Cal and Nobel use the covered for poos. High side and $4 box are for pee only apparently.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that I’ve raised since day one, for the first few years of their life they’ve been kept in one spacious room, but as the time passed they started to demand going outside (which I had to console with the rest of my family members as I was the sole owner of my cats). As they started to explore the rest of the house I placed two litter boxes in each level of the house so they could easily find them, there were no issues at first but after a couple of months I noticed that my female cat started peeing on things such as clothes if they were on the floor or shoes. The only thing she did in the litter box was poop in it, other than that the rest of the house became her peeing place, nothing changed in their diet, they were feed wet food and had regular vet checkup's, I took her to the vet and blood work came back normal and I got recommended a collar with calming pheromones which did work as far as her calming her down but she developed a rash on her neck and I removed the collar immediately. It’s been a year now and I’ve done everything I could, I added two more litter boxes, changed the litter to a more delicate one for the paws in case that was the problem, I cleaned the litter boxes three times a day, nothing seemed to work, and at this moment in time she spread the area to things such as toys, as long as something was on the floor she would pee on it. I don’t know what to do anymore, I won’t give up on her and seriously consider diapers as the temporary solution, but I wanted to console this problem with other fellow cat owners.
Did she experience any traumatizing events when she was peeing in the litter box? Perhaps she was ambushed by your other cat, or maybe she developed a UTI. Either of these events she could have associated with the litter box and decided that the way to avoid further trauma was to not pee in the litter box anymore.

Confine her to one room with a litter box. You'll likely need to start keeping track of her pee times so you know when she's due and it's time for her to be watched. I don't know if this would work, but one idea I'm thinking of is to try to help her associate peeing in the litter box with fun, glad times. After you watch her pee in the litter box when she's confined to a room, give her cuddles, praise, and a high-value treat (not dry food). Repeat this procedure many times after she pees in the litter box.

Maybe you could even start re-training her using positive reinforcement. This is the dog trainer in me speaking, lol, but who knows? Maybe the techniques will work for your cat as well. Every time she pees in the litter box, say a word that she will learn to associate with you encouraging her to pee, such as, "Go pee." Once she starts peeing in the litter box, give her praise, cuddles, and a treat (after she comes out).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Confine her to one room with a litter box. You'll likely need to start keeping track of her pee times so you know when she's due and it's time for her to be watched. I don't know if this would work, but one idea I'm thinking of is to try to help her associate peeing in the litter box with fun, glad times. After you watch her pee in the litter box when she's confined to a room, give her cuddles, praise, and a high-value treat (not dry food). Repeat this procedure many times after she pees in the litter box.

Maybe you could even start re-training her using positive reinforcement. This is the dog trainer in me speaking, lol, but who knows? Maybe the techniques will work for your cat as well. Every time she pees in the litter box, say a word that she will learn to associate with you encouraging her to pee, such as, "Go pee." Once she starts peeing in the litter box, give her praise, cuddles, and a treat (after she comes out).

Please do not confine a cat for litter "training". This can increase stress which can exasperate the symptoms of FLUTD further. Exasperating symptoms should not be done more than necessary as it can lead to bladder infections, kidney infections (which can lead to scarring and lower kidney function). https://pawswhiskersandclaws.com/be...Do not punish the cat,won't solve the problem!

Cats are not dogs. We cannot look at them through "dog coloured glasses".

You can read more on what TO do for urinary issues here: Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She needs to see a vet for a work up. I have seen cats with bladder stones do this.

Ameran645

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'll look into having multiple litter boxes of a different kind so they can each choose what they feel most comfortable using. When they were younger, they had enclosed litter boxes, and there were no problems, so maybe I should bring them back. It's just that ever since they started going outside my room that things got complicated. New places, new territory, and since her brother is more dominant, maybe she felt peeing on things was the best way to mark them as her own. In a week, I'm planning on taking her to the vet to do some more tests because recently, I noticed that she would pee standing up instead of squatting. She's on the skinnier side, so I know that her tummy isn't the problem :(